Safe way to remove spray paint from factory wheel?

ogre

Supporting Member
I picked up a set of moab rims to add to the parts pile for my long dormant project jeep, but at some point two of them have been painted black.
The paint seems to be peeling in some small places so I assume that it's common spray paint.

Anyone have any recommendations on a process to remove the paint without harming the factory finish below that?

If it’s already peeling you can try a scrubby sponge for non stick pans and wd-40. Sometimes that’ll take of spray paint from non prepped surfaces. Also depending on the condition of the spray paint a clay bar could take it off. Rubbing alcohol will also work but you have to use it in moderation as to not damage the finished surface beneath. The products only get harsher from there. Goof off works but mainly for over spray and lacquer thinner will do the job but you have to be careful. First soak a terry cloth rag and then start rubbing the spray paint off only to the point of removing it. Try not to let the thinner stay on the finished rim

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain it is spray paint of some kind.
I'll take pics and upload when I have a chance later today.
My first test will be the pressure washer to see if that by some miracle makes a dent.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Funnily enough, I've been reading through your build thread Nick, and the rims were shown as bare in the ad but have 285/75/16 street tires which is the size I was researching after seeing a couple of pics in that build.

The silver you see is not a reflection but the original finish that has not been covered completely.

PXL_20210513_125057733.MP.jpg

Last edited:
If they are peeling already, and therefore possibly painted without proper prep, maybe a high pressure pressure washer? Couldn’t hurt to try that first if you have access to one.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Fingernail polish remover with acetone.
Just acetone. Fingernail polish is basically acetone with sent. I was Refinishing a bathtub once and forgot to bring thinner. Saw some polish remover in the customers bathroom and used it to thin a 1/2quart of acrylic urethane.
Sprayed out nice.🤣

Reactions: TheBoogieman
The Goof Off might have dulled the clear a little or my mind believes that it did due to past experiences with it and paint.
So off to the store for nail polish as well as acetone, to see what differences if any.
@Hopper, you are absolutely correct that the two are the same other than the added sent.

And the wheels responded the same between the two.
After a hour or so of scrubbing and chemicals.
Tomorrow I'll work on the 2nd wheel.

IMG_0172.jpg

They look like they’re all the same to me, later model Moab wheels

The Goof Off might have dulled the clear a little or my mind believes that it did due to past experiences with it and paint.
So off to the store for nail polish as well as acetone, to see what differences if any.
@Hopper, you are absolutely correct that the two are the same other than the added sent.

And the wheels responded the same between the two.
After a hour or so of scrubbing and chemicals.
Tomorrow I'll work on the 2nd wheel.

View attachment 252303
Wow! Nice job on the removal. U was talking to a wheel refinisher the other day and he was talking about re clear coating factory wheels that have dulled. He uses automotive 2k acrylic urethane enamel clear coat.

I'm not sure how much I'll put into these unless I decide to refinish the wheels completely.
The edges are rough and there are scratches and divots.
They will look good from 20' away so they will likely just serve as is for the time being.
I'll post pics of the rest of the Jeep when I get a good pic without clutter in the background.

Whoever owned these previously had an aversion to rotating tires and cleaning brake dust off of these.
Two have large amounts of brake dust including one that was painted which I started cleaning today and it's taking quite a bit longer and a good bit more elbow grease than the one pictured above.
I have most of the paint removed but now have to get the caked on, baked on dust cleaned off.

Never be afraid to try Go Jo hand cleaner for jobs like this...it will suprise you.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep