Sahara Flares

J

Jeff Begrer

Hello all. New member here so please forgive the question if it's been asked 1,000 times.
I have a 1999 Sahara and I need to replace 1 front fender flare. It seems that very few companies offer the paintable stock replacements. I think I found something from Rugged Ridge, though it is ABS rather than fiberglass. I know I can replace all with black vinyl but I'm trying to maintain the original look of the Sahara. Will this part match up well after it is painted? Does anyone know about the RR offering or anything else that would work better?
Thanks, and thank you for a great resource for a new TJ owner. I expect to have plenty of questions as time goes on.

The original flares are ABS plastic, not fiberglass.

You've got two options here:

1) You can replace the stock fender flares with the 7" Rugged Ridge fender flares. Not a bad idea if you plan on going with bigger tires and a lift: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010DMXYM/?tag=wranglerorg-20

2) You can get a set of OEM stock replacement fender flares:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GKLXS2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

If you get the stock flares that I linked to above, those ones are 100% OEM and brand new. They say Rubicon flares, but the Rubicon and Sahara use the same flares, so you'll be good to go.

You could also order just one flare individually, but I believe they are actually cheaper to order as a complete set. Not to mention if you're replacing one, you may as well replace all of them so that way one doesn't look shiny new and the others look all old and faded.

Thanks. I looked at these and they look like the black ones, not paintable. Mine has a big crack in it. It sure looks like fiberglass to me. I could replace all with black but hoped for paintable ones to match the original look.

Thanks. I looked at these and they look like the black ones, not paintable. Mine has a big crack in it. It sure looks like fiberglass to me. I could replace all with black but hoped for paintable ones to match the original look.

All of the ones I linked to are paintable since they are plastic.

Also, the stock flares are definitely not fiberglass. If you have fiberglass flares then they are aftermarket.

Thanks again Chris. I don't mean to doubt your knowledge. I'm learning as I go. The flare probably is a replacement because if you saw it you'd guess it was fiberglass too. It's shattered and fibers are exposed. I will order a full set of the Rubicon flares and paint them.
Jeff