Sahara interior color code?

I've also purchased SEM Medium Camel 5020 spray paint based on this thread for my interior restoration project. Will post photos in a few weeks to let you guys know how close the color match is.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Everyone says they will follow up on this thread if the paint matches, but no one does, haha.

I am going to just assume it does. Maybe martinjg98 will confirm since he post just a few days ago.

I've been painting my interior using SEM color coat aerosol 15173 (Camel) that I picked up on eBay. Here's a shot of the speaker grille, next to my soft top (which is Bestop/Pavement Ends "spice" color). I'm painting over grey, so I can't compare to the Sahara factory color. Hopes this helps give you an idea of what to expect.

The "palamino" 15323 was a bit too yellow-y and brighter than the Bestop Spice color BTW.

IMG_20190512_121841608.jpg

I've been painting my interior using SEM color coat aerosol 15173 (Camel) that I picked up on eBay. Here's a shot of the speaker grille, next to my soft top (which is Bestop/Pavement Ends "spice" color). I'm painting over grey, so I can't compare to the Sahara factory color. Hopes this helps give you an idea of what to expect.

The "palamino" 15323 was a bit too yellow-y and brighter than the Bestop Spice color BTW.

View attachment 93377
Looking great. You painting the whole interior?

View attachment 93377
That is awesome.

Reactions: intheSFValley
Everyone says they will follow up on this thread if the paint matches, but no one does, haha.

I am going to just assume it does. Maybe martinjg98 will confirm since he post just a few days ago.

UPDATE: I don't have any photos yet, but SEM Sure Coat Medium Camel 5020 has been working great for me. To my eyes, it's indistinguishable from the OEM 1999 Sahara interior plastic, which is either Camel or Spice depending on who you ask. I'm using it to restore a stained console and door panels — a bedlining job gone awry. It's expensive to get a rattle can mixed for you ($26 here in Massachusetts), but it works.

Before and after. Note the seat cover is the Bestop Spice color. Hope that gives you an idea of the color match. I used an adhesion promoter before applying the SEM paint. Whole job was two and half cans, but that was to go from grey to camel.

Amazing job, @intheSFValley. I didn't know it was possible to change the color of your interior panels so dramatically. You even painted the steering wheel shroud, which gives your interior a unique touch. You now have a one-of-a-kind color combination overall.

I'm curious for my own project: how did you remove the airbag cover? Or did you just paint everything in place?

Reactions: intheSFValley
Amazing job, @intheSFValley. I didn't know it was possible to change the color of your interior panels so dramatically. You even painted the steering wheel shroud, which gives your interior a unique touch. You now have a one-of-a-kind color combination overall.

I'm curious for my own project: how did you remove the airbag cover? Or did you just paint everything in place?
I was debating whether or not to paint the shroud. I think it looks alright, but it would have been easier to leave it grey. And I did not remove the airbag cover, just masked everything up and painted in place.

One warning, the paint can't take much much abuse. I ended up scuffing it on a road trip where a cooler rubbed up against it while bouncing around the desert. Good news, it's pretty easy to touch up the scuffed areas in a few minutes.

I can confirm that the Sure Coat is also very delicate. (Sure Coat is SEM's water-based version of Color Coat.) Since I've painted my door panels, console, and dash, small areas have rubbed off. Since the Sure Coat is the same color as the panels, the rubbed-off areas don't look that bad. It's not perfect but it's still a huge improvement over what I had before. The Medium Camel 5020 is absolutely the dead-on exact color of the original panels. I have painted and unpainted panels side-by-side in the Jeep and you cannot tell which is which.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Hi @intheSFValley ,

I'm planning on doing this myself so I wanted to ask you a question. Did you use color coat or sure coat paint that @martinjg98 has mentioned as a weaker?
I see that exact paint you used is available as color coat. I am concerned about the longevity of the dash after I repaint it. Did you put any clear coat over it?

Also, other guys who went with Camel 5020 can you please post some pictures? I think it would be of a great valuet to this topic.

Thanks!

Hi @intheSFValley ,

I'm planning on doing this myself so I wanted to ask you a question. Did you use color coat or sure coat paint that @martinjg98 has mentioned as a weaker?
I see that exact paint you used is available as color coat. I am concerned about the longevity of the dash after I repaint it. Did you put any clear coat over it?

Also, other guys who went with Camel 5020 can you please post some pictures? I think it would be of a great valuet to this topic.

Thanks!
I didn't clear coat it, though it's not a bad idea.

Thank you for your reply @intheSFValley.
I'm thinking that could give it an extra layer of protection but I'm wondering would it be too shiny then.
There are matte clear coats available to avoid that glossy/shiny look. I’m not sure if SEM makes any, but I used one a few years back to finish an old motorcycle in a Ducati matte pearl white and it turned out perfect.