Sahara Street and Trail

Thanks HuskerJeep. Your rig looks great and is about what I am shooting for. Your stance "before" also looks really similar to mine. The H&R's appear to be a pretty safe bet. As you mention, whether they will they provide enough lift given I will have a hard top, front bumper, and winch is the question.

There is more complexity with the OME's and maybe some trial and error with spring spacers, transfer case spacers, and track bar/brackets to get it right. If there was a sure way to get 1.5 to 2 inches of lift without potentially requiring other upgrades, I would be all over it! Maybe this is the OME's with a minimum of spring spacers?

Questions for the OME users: Are the OME 10mm spring spacers recommended installed in addition to the OEM spring spacers? If so, could the 10mm spacers be left out and the springs installed only with the OEM spacers?

Thanks again.

Questions for the OME users: Are the OME 10mm spring spacers recommended installed in addition to the OEM spring spacers? If so, could the 10mm spacers be left out and the springs installed only with the OEM spacers?

Thanks again.

Technically, the OME springs are a 2" lift spring. The added 10mm spacers are added to net the advertised 2.5" of lift, but more importantly, can also be used to level out the jeep. My jeep is set up similar to yours in that I have the hard top, winch, but with minimalist bumpers. When I installed my 933/942 spring combo, I got exactly 2.5" of lift in the front, and a touch more in the rear. Ended up using the 10mm spacers up front and leaving them out in the rear to level it out. Here's a pic of said spacers.
100_0875.JPG

Reactions: Chris
^^ x2 to this. The only difference for my setup is I have the spacer in back to get the full 2.5" and used my ACOS up front to level it out.

New Rock Hard RH-4014 Freedom Series bumper and Warn M8000 winch are on!

IMG_20190809_145303289.jpg
IMG_20190809_145255115_HDR.jpg

Made about a 1/4 inch difference in suspension height at the front of the frame. Didn't change the previous stance much. I also put a level on the seam between the body and top and it is dead nuts level.

IMG_20190809_145228905.jpg

Now on to springs and shocks. Still haven't made a final call there. I measured the existing springs for sag and got 12 inches front and 8 inches rear that I think are consistent for stock.

A 1 3/4 or 2 inch coil spacer/budget boost with Rancho shocks has also been suggested. I guess the advantage with this set-up is I will know exactly how much lift I will get and since I am level now it should end up pretty level after. No guesswork on the actual lift gained from the various springs out there.I understand the big disadvantage is there is no real increase in suspension travel. What do you guys think of this solution?

Reactions: Chris
New mods look great and good choices. REALLY dig that bumper. I ran a Rubicon Express BB kit on my first TJ years ago. It was similar to what you are talking about, coil spacers and longer shocks. It depends on what you want to do with your rig. If it's mostly mild trails, cruising, trips to the beach, and such like mine was, then I see no problem. Others may know of some issues that I'm unaware of.

I ran the 1.75" Zone BB w/ Rancho shocks for 6 months on my Rubicon, and it was fine. As you stated, you will know exactly how much lift to expect. Plus, with such low miles, you shouldn't have any spring sag...

Thanks glwood.

Which Rancho shocks did you run with the 1.75" BB? For the RS5000X, it looks like the RS55128/RS5240 for 0-1 inch lift or the RS55239/RS55241 for 2-3 inch lift.

And what about bump stop extensions? I am seeing a lot of different options there.

I have been all over the place on my lift. First OME, then H&R, but finally landed on a simple 1.75 inch BB with Rancho RS5000X's.

I am pretty happy with the results. The lift is just what I was looking for and the Jeep sits perfectly level. No vibrations whatsoever. The toe must have been off before as it is now pretty close to spec based on my measurements. Even the steering wheel is looking good.

The right rear shifted out a tad (as I did not install a track bar relocation bracket), but it is not that noticeable (see photo). Is there any downside of leaving it like it is? Will this wear the tires unevenly or cause any other issues?

The ride is definitely A LOT firmer. Will the shocks loosen up with some miles?

Thanks for all the help.

IMG_20190824_191931769.jpg
IMG_20190824_193508048.jpg

Looks good! I ran the front axle off center for a couple years before getting an adjustable TB. Didn't notice anything detrimental. Just make sure that nothing rubs when you flex since one side will be closer to the coil bucket than the other.

Thanks bobthetj03.

The front axle didn't move much, if at all. (I guess it moves left or drivers side when it does.) It's hard to measure, but the rear moved 1/4 to 1/2 inch to the right.

I took it out again this afternoon, and it goes down the road as before. No issues. Could I just add a rear adjustable track bar and forego the front?

I am also hoping the shocks loosen up some which I guess they do with some miles. I may also try bumping down my tire pressure a tad to 26 pounds as I am running 28 now.

Looks good!

The shocks will break in a bit. I’m not sure if that’s all in my head, but it seemed to me that every pair of shocks I had broke in after several hundred miles.

Thanks Chris. For what I am looking to do, I think this set-up will work.

I was a little surprised at the stiffness of the shocks over stock. I think it also took a while for the Bilstein's on my truck to smooth out. After a while you just don't notice.

Have you heard of any ill effects of running the rear axle a tad off center? In everything I have read it appears OK.

Thanks again for all you do for the forum.