Salutations from the PNW

davew

Hello All,

My name is Dave. I have had my jeeps for a couple of years now, but haven't really been involved with many forums, other than accessing them for research. I figured I might as well make a profile and be social.
I was born and raised in a tiny logging/farming town in the foothills of Mt. Adams, and other than the typical wandering in my early 20s, I have been here my entire life. I spend a lot of weekends boondocking in the hills in either my RZR or 2000 TJ, or in the shop.
My background was originally industrial/agricultural in nature- I specialized in installing various electronics suites and Hillco auto-levelling systems in John Deer combines, as well worked for a marine specialty coatings company under Vigor Industrial. I currently work as the quality systems manager for an Aerospace/Defense electro-mechanical contract manufacturer. We specialize in electronic assemblies ranging from simple 1-2 conductor wires, to 3,300 conductor main control cables for aircraft, to complete UAS systems (minus engine) for various OEMs. We also specialize is helping customers bring prototype assemblies to full optimization for their application and production.
Wiring harnesses are what I live and breathe- if any of you ever have questions, whether on how to build a harness to last 20 years, or help with researching parts, I am happy to help.

My main DD/weekend warrior is a 2000 TJ sport- its nothing fancy, but it has a bunch of cheap parts from the previous owner, so I am slowly building it into a reliable overlander. This winter I am going to begin fabricating the frame for a off-road teardrop style trailer with Timbren spindle axles, similar to the Terradrop, but without the $20,000+ price tag.
Its been a great jeep, although we had a bit of a rough start. I originally bought it a little over a year ago, with 140,000 miles. Long story short- it had piston slap (which was pretty quiet at first, with no blow by, so I though was an exhaust leak and just negotiated the price down a little to compensate), which the dealer covered up by using 15-40w diesel oil, and after a couple hundred miles it snapped the skirt off of the bottom of a piston, the pieces of which caused the block to self destruct shortly thereafter. I got a block from the east coast, rebuilt it, and installed it this last winter. Unfortunately, I was unaware that the donor crank came from a manual jeep, and had a bushing that was installed in it that pushed against the snout of the TC, and caused the 32RH to not pump correctly and it burnt up. So now it has a new engine and transmission :)

Current Specs for TJ:
4.0 I-6, block is from a 2001, rebuild has about 5,000 miles on it. Otherwise stock.
32RH, 90,000 miles, +2 QT deep pan, 727 convertor
NP231-Teraflex Extreme Short SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft.
Dana 30 front, 44 rear, stock.
33x12.5x15 Maxxis Big Horns (don't remember the wheels, some aftermarkets already on it)
MBRP cat back
Remflex manifold gasket (and yes, that's a damn fine upgrade if you have nasty exhaust leaks)
Rough Country 4" lift
MSI 8,000LB winch
Smitty Front Bumper
Poison Spider BFH rear bumper
Tactik Tailgate hinge assembly w/HD tire carrier
Smitty windshield light brackets w/ "light cannons"- I took cheap ebay lights, weatherproofed them to true IP68 standards, and soldered my own CREE chipset of 5x 18w LEDs onto the board.
Alpine Head unit, Pyle Marine speakers in soundbar+ installed in dash.
Bedlined tub- no brand, I mix and spray my own. Applied dynomat to the tub, then sprayed 200 mils in 4 applications to the front, 100 mils in the back. I brought the front factory carpet back to life using a steam cleaner and a vinegar solution, and reinstalled the front area for aesthetics/thermal eff./dB reduction.
Bestop seat covers/bikini top/soft top

Future Build (continually evolving)
35's
Different suspension setup- The basic Rough country kit that is on it is junk. I do not have any practical need for a long arm kit, but I will be putting in different control arms (with JJ's), springs, track bars, and shocks. Might bump up the height if I have articulation issues with the tires. I would prefer to keep it low and tuck the belly if needed.
New steering kit- probably the Currie or Synergy bolt on kits
Raceline wheels, probably w/ beadlocks
Dana 30- sleeves, center/outer C truss/gussets, control arm skids, chromoly shafts, Ox locker, and cryo gears if they break.
Dana 44- leave mostly stock. Maybe a truss, chromoly axles if needed. Ox locker.
32RH- Unless I go over 300hp, I wont touch it.
NP231- same
4.0- if it pops, I will either do a full rebuild through a machine shop, and throw a Boosted Technologies blower on it, or I will go with a 4.7 Golen stroker. Undecided so far, but I am leaning towards the stroker for pulling the trailer.
"Sport Bar" reinforcement. DOM or Chromoly if possible.
Steering box skid
Gas tank Skid
Oil tank skid- maybe, not sure if its an actual value added
Sliders- probably JCR
Stubby front bumper-probably the Rough Country 1012, maybe JCR.
Belly tuck
Rear bumper with receiver- also JCR
Warn Winch (I'm biased, we have manufactured products for them over the years and they seem to be genuinely vested in quality)
On Board Air
PRP DD seats, either with stock belts or the Corbeau retractable harness so that I don't hate life strapping in and out
Bedrug front carpet (will recut and sew to be easily removable without pulling seats or console.
Full disassembly of dash and associated electronics- will weatherproof to around IP67 so I can get rained on with the top down and not worry.
Fusion MS-RA70 marine head unit
Enclosures for front speakers
Rear deck security enclosure, steel center and glovebox enclosures
.... and that is all that comes to mind for the moment. I am sure things will change, and be added/dropped if necessary.
IMG_1194[1].JPG

IMG_1235[1].JPG
IMG_1241[1].JPG

IMG_1391[1].JPG

Not sure if this is Kosher in a TJ forum, but I have a few continuing projects you might find interesting:

-1971 Wagoneer (this is in the process of a slow restoration and Duramax/Ally swap, and 1 tons, 5 year completion goal). This was a barn find, and other than mice and a tiny bit of rust, is in great shape. It sat for 15 years in there but the engine is fresh, it has the TH400/Dana 20 (not quadratrac) combo, with the Dana 44 rear/ 27 front Its a bit of a frankinstein build as this was when AMC was taking over Kaiser, so it has the typical hodge podge of parts. There hardly any aftermarket support for anything earlier than 74 or so, which is why I am going fully custom. You can just barely see it in this pic, I dont really have any others of it.
IMG_1767[1].JPG

2016 RZR Turbo- This is pretty much the reason I am not going all out with the TJ, or going long arm. I love my TJ, but its just not even in the same league in terms of off road performance/suspension.
Current Specs: ECU tuned @195HP on 95 octane
2017 intakes
K/N Engine Intake
Gibson dual exhaust
Aftermarket Assassins S3 recoil clutch kit
OSP Clutch Blower/intake
Upgraded cooling fans
Alba belt air temp gauge
14x7 Raceline Ryno Beadlocks with 30" Sedona Rock-a-Billy tires
Warthog Axles
HD Tie Rods
Cagewrx DOM race cage w/ rear bumper and roof
Full tube doors+ aluminum skins
KFI Stealth winch- dash mounted rocker switch with remote jack installed behind grill
PRP seats
Beard 4 point harnesses
Safeglo blue LED Whips w/ quick disconnects hard wired in.
Seizmik side and center mirrors
LED A-pillar cage mount lights

Future Specs:
AA Turbo Mod- p&p, oversized compressor, 11psi wastegate
AA tunes w/ pvcx, shooting for 200-210 hp.
Oversize injectors
AA charge tube
AA intake tube
AA BOV
HCT split cooling system
Boondockers Double Down exhaust
AA secondary blower kit
Upgraded carrier bearing
Upgraded engine mounts
Upgraded diff bearing
Upgraded sway bars
Sandcraft A arm bushing upgrade
Shock Therapy Respring/revalve
My own version of the XTC power control system
Rigid dually headlight brackets with my own dual LED cube headlight setup
Different LED lights on cage A-pillar-will buy Amazon/Ebay and modify to satisfaction
Rigid Reflect LED mirrors (these have Duallys built into the mirrors, with rise shooters, to give you true wide angle lighting)
Pro Armor 8 cage mount speaker bar
Fueled ATV aluminum bed storage box
On board air
IMG_1585[1].JPG
IMG_1604[1].JPG

-2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500
This has been my dedicated tow pig for 10 years, and is a finished build. The only thing left to do is a single piece driveline, once this one pops.
Current Specs:
5.9 HO, NV 5600, Dana 60/80
-Edge Juiced W/ attitude
75hp injectors
Wicked Wheel
5" MBRP turbo back, axle dump
AFE intake
Updated intercooler w/ metal end tanks
BD Exhaust brake
South Bend dd clutch+ hydraulics
5" Rough Country Lift
Firestone load helpers
Autometer factory matched boost, rail pressure and egt gauges
Alpine stereo suite, with amplified components and tweeters in doors
Cobra CB
Uniden scanner
Slightly modified LED headlights and LED fogs- fogs activated by a good old stomper switch :)
MOVE front bumper, welded and lined by me.
Bradford flat bed+side boxes- with detachable racks to haul the rzr while hauling my travel trailer.
IMG_1596[1].JPG

IMG_1716[1].JPG

I do not have any new pics of the Jeep, but I attached a couple from a few months ago. I'll take some new ones once I get the new bumper. Also attached a shot of the mountains in from my porch.
I am happy to shoot the shit with anyone about Jeeps, side by sides, or Cummins powered Dodges.
Happy to be here, and maybe at some point I will see one of you around or down in the sand.
IMG_1396[1].JPG

Have a good weekend!

-Dave

Last edited:
I am Envious of your shop. Pretty sure all of us are. Welcome the forum. This is a very knowledgeable and great group of Jeep enthusiasts.

All of us have had or have other vehicles that we want to share stories about so feel free to share as much as you like about them. Most of us dig anything automobile or off road related.

Reactions: davew
There's a lot of us on here from the PNW... a lot! I'm from Salem, Oregon myself.

I know that @Squatch is from Washington, @EJD, and a number of others as well.

I want to start by saying I envy your shop, and those pictures are awesome.

It looks like you have some seriously awesome toys... I'm envious!

Love your choice of vehicles! AMC 360 in the Wagoneer? I'm an AMC guy. :) Also drive a first gen Cummins.
Beautiful area you're in.
Welcome to the friendliest forum around!

Welcome to the forum! So happy to have another technical resource and TJ member aboard. I wish you had a YouTube channel about the Jeep and overlanding, sounds like you'd be an interesting journey!

Reactions: davew and Chris
Thank you for the warm welcome! I apologize for the slow reply, I adopted an 8 month old blue heeler named Moose, and we went on some adventures this weekend. I think he might like the TJ.
IMG_1844[1].JPG

@UpperMI/Chris- I appreciate the compliments on the shop! I picked up this property for an amazing deal, and have been slowly working on the house, shop and property. Is there a shop thread? I love chucking around shop/diy ideas.

@Squatch- Fellow Washingtonian? We are certainly lucky.
Yessir- the waggy has the AMC 360. Thank goodness it wasn't the Buick. Its sat for years, but supposedly is a fresh rebuild with around 1k miles. I will likely give away the entire powerplant and drivetrain once I procure the Isuzu powerplant to stuff in there. Interested?

Also- I will be down at Coos Bay (Myrtlewood Factory) the 26th-29th. If any of you are in the area, you are welcome to stop by and say hello.

Reactions: zebra12 and Squatch
Thank you for the warm welcome! I apologize for the slow reply, I adopted an 8 month old blue heeler named Moose, and we went on some adventures this weekend. I think he might like the TJ.
View attachment 47645
@UpperMI/Chris- I appreciate the compliments on the shop! I picked up this property for an amazing deal, and have been slowly working on the house, shop and property. Is there a shop thread? I love chucking around shop/diy ideas

If he's anything like our two young daughters, he'll love riding in the TJ!

As for the property, I don't know how you got such a deal! Property prices here in the PNW are just insane these days! We looked all over before we moved to Salem, Oregon (originally from the Portland area), and it's just mind blowing how much the prices have gone up.

In regard to the shop thread, we don't have one yet I don't think, but that would make for a great thread in the Off-Topic forum, so feel free to start it if you feel so inclined!

Reactions: davew and Squatch
View attachment 47645
@UpperMI/Chris- I appreciate the compliments on the shop! I picked up this property for an amazing deal, and have been slowly working on the house, shop and property. Is there a shop thread? I love chucking around shop/diy ideas.

Yessir- the waggy has the AMC 360. Thank goodness it wasn't the Buick. Its sat for years, but supposedly is a fresh rebuild with around 1k miles. I will likely give away the entire powerplant and drivetrain once I procure the Isuzu powerplant to stuff in there. Interested?

Also- I will be down at Coos Bay (Myrtlewood Factory) the 26th-29th. If any of you are in the area, you are welcome to stop by and say hello.
I may very well be interested in the 360, especially if it is the earlier pre-smog setup (which the '71 would be, for the most part). I have a fairly fresh 401 in my garage getting ready to go into a Gremlin, and a fairly descent 360, as well. Both have roughly 30,000 on the rebuilds. So yeah, let me know when you're ready to cut loose of it, and I'll see if it's something I can manage at the time (Life has a funny way of changing my plans. I did say life, and not wife, didn't I? Sometimes they tag-team against me!) :D

View attachment 47645

Greater looking Australian Cattle Dog. I love that breed.

I may very well be interested in the 360, especially if it is the earlier pre-smog setup (which the '71 would be, for the most part). I have a fairly fresh 401 in my garage getting ready to go into a Gremlin, and a fairly descent 360, as well. Both have roughly 30,000 on the rebuilds. So yeah, let me know when you're ready to cut loose of it, and I'll see if it's something I can manage at the time (Life has a funny way of changing my plans. I did say life, and not wife, didn't I? Sometimes they tag-team against me!) :D
I'll let you know when I yard it out, I'm in no rush.