Salvage LJ Build

After previously owning a 2006 TJ Rubicon that I bought from my uncle, I knew that an LJ was what I wanted next. I had been looking around, but could not stomach the price people wanted for one, so I kept an eye on DaveysJeeps.

I found a black LJ with Hard Top that had a damaged front fender, and a little tub damage, which is what resulted in the salvage title. I kept looking for a few weeks trying to decide, and ultimately drove up to Salem, OH and picked it up July 7th, 2018. The salvage title was not a concern as I did not plan to ever sell it.

I got it home, and knew that the front fenders were going to be replaced, but decided to wait until after I got it through the process in Tennessee for a salvage vehicle. Basically I filled out a form saying I replaced nothing, sent that along with 4 photos, my salvage title, and $75 to the Department of Revenue and a few weeks later I got back a paper that allowed me to go apply for a rebuilt title. Rebuilt title in hand, it was time to start.

I knew I wanted to try and stay LCG like the Rokmen Freak Jeeps so I wanted to start with HighLine fenders. Poison Spyder HighLines were ordered with a 3" flare to start. I also ordered the rest of the Poison Spyder armor, and have been having it powdercoated at PowderTech Services here in Nashville.

I also decided that I was building it once and building it right, so also on order are Dynatrac Pro Rock 60s with 5.38 gears, ARB's, Dynaloc hubs, and a full float for the rear end. An Atlas 4-speed is also on order. All of those parts should be in around the October/November time frame.

I also decided I wanted a custom cage, like the first Rokmen Freak, that looks like an extended cab pickup. The Jeep is currently at V3 Jeeps in Louisville, Ky getting that roll cage built. I live in an apartment and cannot have a welder here, or I would have done it myself.

I have never done a build thread before, so hopefully this helps me to document what I hope to be a very capable build done right from the beginning based on my prior TJ modding experience.

Thanks,
Billy Clay

This is it loaded on the trailer for the ride home.

IMG_20180707_085950.jpg

Picture showing the damage once it was home

IMG_20180709_112913.jpg

New headlights with turn signals. Got them from Amazon since the XC Fenders won't have turn signals.

IMG_20180818_090924.jpg

The tub damage up close, and then in the process of being repaired.

IMG_20180812_084923.jpg

IMG_20180812_103604.jpg

XC Highline Fender in the color that all the armor will be in.

IMG_20180819_085849.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, sounds like a very cool (and serious) build!

Those Atlas 4-speeds take some serious modifications in order to fit them from what I understand, hence the reason I went with the RubiCrawler (which is one reason I'm glad I have the 42RLE transmission). Can't wait to see some photos of your progress!

If you never plan on selling it, then title status definitely doesn't matter!

Also, your Google photos aren't working. The better way to do it is download the photos to your computer / mobile device, then just use the "Upload a File" button next to the "Post Reply" button.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Wow. This is going to be sweet. Can’t wait to see the photos you tried to show earlier. I’m anxious to see.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Wow this sounds like a killer build, I'll be watching this closely. You planning to go belly up and if so how far do you think it can go with that atlas?

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

I have the Rokmen skid plate and body lift, you won't regret them at all. They fit perfectly, and the craftsmanship is outstanding!

Reactions: BillyClayMyers
Envious as I want a second LJ to chop up pretty good for tons, LS etc and have been thinking about going the salvage route as well. I'm also curious as to what your experience will be with V3 Jeeps as they're an hour from me and I've wondered what their level and quality of work are.

Anxious to follow the build!

Reactions: BillyClayMyers
So I got some photos this morning from V3 of the build in progress. Looks awesome. Michael there at V3 is a great fabricator and Christian is a great guy to help you get what you need. Will share more photos as I get them.

Going for a truck style look, so that is the reason for no cage in the back

5583627251.jpg

5583627501.jpg

5583627611.jpg

Last edited: