Salvage title car insurance?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I guess this is specific to california. But correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm wondering how you guys got insurance for your salvage title jeeps or cars? And what the pitfalls were?

I had a ca jeeper come by and purchase some parts from me. His jeep was a salvage title. And he said he had no problem getting insurance. But we did not get into specifics.

I want to get a Honda Pilot 2009-2015. With 4wd. I don't have alot to spend. And there are always a number of these with salvage titles. Just wondering what pitfalls I might run into? Other than getting it checked out at a frame shop.

Everyone must be out enjoying the heat this weekend.

I looked into it and talked to my insurance about it. They told me they could cover it, but it would be an extra charge monthly. I don’t remember how much it was, but it was enough to make me discount the idea immediately.

200.gif

Everyone must be out enjoying the heat this weekend.

I looked into it and talked to my insurance about it. They told me they could cover it, but it would be an extra charge monthly. I don’t remember how much it was, but it was enough to make me discount the idea immediately.

View attachment 357008

Ya. I'm in my living room just trying to keep the temp below 77!

I'm also wondering about salvage titles because of that thread highlighting salvaged jeeps across the nation. Maybe ill post over there.

What do you know about salvage title vehicles and insurance?

Lots of rumors. I used to hear about certain states that you could "wash" the title in. Like FL or Delaware(?).
Buddy says talk to Safeco. I had been under the impression after talking to him that there was no added premium but learned that may or may not be the case. He has never owned anything but salvages so wouldn't know the difference :)

Here it doesnt matter. Your title shows salvage, and this is taken into account when your policy is written. you Want more coverage, no problem they will cover you for your specific vehicle.

I have an 89 YJ I bought in 91 with a Ca salvage title. I moved it to an Az title and registration because it would not pass smog. It still has a salvage designation in Az. I never had a problem getting liability coverage on it. I never tried to get comp coverage on it because I do not need it on a vehicle I can go out and replace tomorrow for cash. The main issue I see is determining the value of a salvage titled vehicle in the event of a claim.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low