Oregon Sand dunes near Florence, Oregon

Quigley

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My wife and I are planning a trip down 101 this summer and I’d like to rent a razor for the dunes. Having never driven the dunes or a razor before, what size razor would be fun? 1000cc , 900cc or 570cc. Their 900 cc actually looks better Equipped for the terrain. Since I’ll have the speed limiter set “ wife”, just how fast do things get on the dunes... anything to watch out for? Dunes look huge! (y)

Perhaps @BuildBreakRepeat, @zebra12, or @StG58 have been down there, I'm not sure.

My brother in law used to go down there with his quad which was somewhere around 600cc or so. I haven't actually been down there, but I've heard it's a lot of fun.

Supposedly you have to watch out for idiots. I've heard of people flying over the dunes at insane speeds without knowing what's on the other side, only to smash into another ATV or vehicle. There's actually been a number of situations like that on the news. It's always smart to have someone go ahead of you and spot it out, much like a spotter would on an off-road trail.

Common sense is king, but I think that goes without saying.

I rented a RZR last year in Florence and we almost rolled it by taking an off shoot trail that banked too steep. We had to call the owner to come rescue us and he was very cool. No extra charges so we just bought him a case of beer. I will see if I can find his company name tomorrow.

I've never driven on the dunes in Florence. We have camped at Honeyman (right on the dunes), Umpqua Lighthouse, and Tugman.

The dunes are huge, and it looks like it would be easy to get in trouble out there.

Here is the place we used.

B8C7CB7C-57C9-4EF1-9731-C2B0B8C36124.jpeg

Hey, I spend a lot of time at Florence. Biggest thing I’d say it watch tops of dunes for people coming the other direction who you can’t see. And whatever you do don’t fall into a witch’s eye!! Google it if you want an idea but basically it’s a pit in the middle of the dunes every once in a while. And I like the 900 personally. But there are others who argue no replacement for displacement and if you want climb the fast hills you need to bigger engine.

Reactions: JMT
Okay, so I googled “witches eye” in the dunes and it looks like it gives you a poo sandwich if you hit it so I’ll watch out for those. I also check out crash videos so i know I’ll have to be watching out for that as well. Several were of people just parked and they got nailed by other riders. That doesn’t sound fun and relaxing yet, but I’m hoping😂.

Thanks for the tips and locations for camping everyone!

Okay, so I googled “witches eye” in the dunes and it looks like it gives you a poo sandwich if you hit it so I’ll watch out for those. I also check out crash videos so i know I’ll have to be watching out for that as well. Several were of people just parked and they got nailed by other riders. That doesn’t sound fun and relaxing yet, but I’m hoping😂.

Thanks for the tips and locations for camping everyone!

Don’t let any of this scare you! Just watch where you’re going and who’s around and rippppp the sand! You’re gonna have a blast