Sand Lake Recreation Area (Siuslaw National Forest) Oregon

EJD

TJ Overlander
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Wow! This place is pretty incredible. First time here and I did not see one other soul out on the sand the entire day. I'm sure during the summer months this place can get out of control.

But I have never been to a place this open to cross-country travel and had this kind of freedom to literally do whatever you want or go anywhere you want within its boundaries of course. There are miles of dramatic shoreline, significant hill climbs and dunes, sand pits everywhere, and tight squeeze forest trails lining the entire perimeter.

Seems like this would be a perfect place for an off-season meet up. Anyone up for it?

IMG_3804.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3730.jpg

IMG_3735.jpg

IMG_3746.jpg

IMG_3751.jpg

That looks like a fun place!

I‘ve never heard a wave called a Sneaker Wave. LOL. Sneaky bastards. (y)
Great time, can't believe I had the whole place to myself...I think i'm going to invest in a set of rear paddle tires!

Those sneaker waves are no joke though (and they are sneaky bastards, lol), i've seen my share already and seen people get hit by some. Just one of those thing to be aware of and always keep one eye on the ocean when your that close.

You guys have dunes and stuff like this on your coast?

Cool pic’s, I’ve always wanted to go there, usually when I head down to Oregon for the dunes I head down to Coos Bay. Dunes are some of the most fun I’ve had in 4Hi

Reactions: EJD
Cool pic’s, I’ve always wanted to go there, usually when I head down to Oregon for the dunes I head down to Coos Bay. Dunes are some of the most fun I’ve had in 4Hi
I have yet to make it down there but from what I can tell the Oregon Dunes are like 5-6 times bigger than Sand Lake. So that should be a riot, you'll have to let me know when the next trip down there is and i'll join in if I can.

What is this “off season” you speak of? LOL but yeah, I’d be in depending on when and if I could get away
Lol, off-season is everything outside of "peak" season so basically not summer...however its off season now and its beautiful here, 55-60 on the coast and I had the entire dunes all to myself both times i've gone there this week.

You guys have dunes and stuff like this on your coast?

Nothing like that. In fact, I don’t know on any place to drive on the beach in SC. But in NC, you can drive on the beaches of Cape Hatteras National Seashore. I don’t know how many miles there are, but it’s several. 20-30 maybe. But its still nothing like that. We did stumble up on an old shipwreck a couple years ago Near the town of Salvo.
5FE403DD-7E67-41FE-BB2F-1ECD3FF1570A.jpeg

F09EB0AB-C3A1-4898-8816-E580103A8D8F.jpeg

Wow, looks like a lot of fun!!! I also love your grill guard! :D
It was a blast, you should come up to OR and hit the dunes with us sometime! Back at ya with the grill guard, my 2-1/2yr old daughter said she likes the purple on your Jeep. :D

Reactions: KimsJeep
It was a blast, you should come up to OR and hit the dunes with us sometime! Back at ya with the grill guard, my 2-1/2yr old daughter said she likes the purple on your Jeep. :D

Tell her thanks!! :D I would sure love too, but that is a long way to go. Maybe someday. :D

Wheeling on the sand is a whole new kind of fun! Not much available here in the Nazi state of Cali. Been to Pismo, which is going to be gone sooner than later. Somoa Dunes is still available. I wouldn't be opposed to a trip up north if I can find a place close to camp with the RV.

Wheeling on the sand is a whole new kind of fun! Not much available here in the Nazi state of Cali. Been to Pismo, which is going to be gone sooner than later. Somoa Dunes is still available. I wouldn't be opposed to a trip up north if I can find a place close to camp with the RV.
Oh it's a new experience for me completely, and I have to say I love it. So much i'm looking for options for some rear paddle tires to fit some extra Canyons I found. The KO2's are pretty darn good in sand but i'm starting to picture some paddles in the back and I might have to go for it. Recommendations?

This place "Sand Lake" has RV camp sites right on the premises, so Oregon Dunes south of here (the much bigger coastal dunes) has to have RV camps nearby. Both are right off the PCH so I an guarantee we'll find you some.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Oh it's a new experience for me completely, and I have to say I love it. So much i'm looking for options for some rear paddle tires to fit some extra Canyons I found. The KO2's are pretty darn good in sand but i'm starting to picture some paddles in the back and I might have to go for it. Recommendations?

This place "Sand Lake" has RV camp sites right on the premises, so Oregon Dunes south of here (the much bigger coastal dunes) has to have RV camps nearby. Both are right off the PCH so I an guarantee we'll find you some.

Coos Bay has a few different RV sites,some with full hookups same without(like the KOA right off the sand drag strip). Florence has a couple also, not sure about hookups though

I see you discovered Sand Lake! That place is indeed amazing. Love the photos!

I see you discovered Sand Lake! That place is indeed amazing. Love the photos!
What a little hidden gem! I take it you've been a few times before? Love the idea of dispersed sand camping here too, seems like a unique experience to be out on beautiful sand dunes camping along the ocean. Pics to come!

Reactions: Chris
What a little hidden gem! I take it you've been a few times before? Love the idea of dispersed sand camping here too, seems like a unique experience to be out on beautiful sand dunes camping along the ocean. Pics to come!

Oh yes, we've been up there before. It's a nice place, especially being right by the ocean! Definitely a popular area.