Sand Lake Recreation Area (Siuslaw National Forest) Oregon

I'm down. I've been wanting to go there. PM me next time you want a buddy.

Reactions: EJD
I'm down. I've been wanting to go there. PM me next time you want a buddy.
Do you have any weekday availability or just weekends? I've noticed its significantly dead there on weekdays is all, went today and the parking lot was full, tons of SxS's and quads, dirt bikes, etc. Saw 1 brand new JLUR and I talked to them for a bit. They were already having mystery grinding noises, lol.

Still managed to find a slice to myself!
IMG_3890.jpg

Just did two days on the dunes. Day one we launched out of the Spinreel OHV staging area. Big parking lot. Towed my TJ with my 40 foot motor home no sweat. It was off season so plenty of open spaces. July might not be so open.
Spinreel was good but more suited to ATV’s I think. Steep hills and jumps. Next day went up Near Dune city/Florence area.
9A74BB3A-34F6-4FF6-939C-5CE882E45D8D.jpeg
Launched out of direct access from loop H at Jessie M Honeyman State Park. Great RV camping there. Amazing sand. Flat open areas, huge dunes and trails. Easy drive to the beach and as challenging or easy an area as you choose.

Reactions: Vasq and EJD
Just did two days on the dunes. Day one we launched out of the Spinreel OHV staging area. Big parking lot. Towed my TJ with my 40 foot motor home no sweat. It was off season so plenty of open spaces. July might not be so open.
Spinreel was good but more suited to ATV’s I think. Steep hills and jumps. Next day went up Near Dune city/Florence area.View attachment 130933 Launched out of direct access from loop H at Jessie M Honeyman State Park. Great RV camping there. Amazing sand. Flat open areas, huge dunes and trails. Easy drive to the beach and as challenging or easy an area as you choose.
Man, you should have mentioned you were going I was probably there or nearby! I did see a TJ like yours (same color body/top) but it had a soft top, so it most likely wasn't you. Very cool though, glad to see another TJ getting to the coast. If/when you go back, let me know and we can run a trail together sometime.

Welcome to the forum too by the way!

Last edited:
Man, you should have mentioned you were going I was probably there or nearby! I did see a TJ like yours (same color body/top) but it had a soft top, so it most likely wasn't you. Very cool though, glad to see another TJ getting to the coast. If/when you go back, let me know and we can run a trail together sometime.

Welcome to the forum too by the way!
EJD - Thanks. I’m leaving Jessie M Honeyman today and headed down to Medford area. I’d love to see your rig or go wheelin. Not sure how to contact you. New to utilizing forum.

Wicked photos ! Thanks for sharing. Years ago my folks took us to Florence and we rented dune buggies. Never forget that trip!

You have given me inspiration to get back there!

EJD - Thanks. I’m leaving Jessie M Honeyman today and headed down to Medford area. I’d love to see your rig or go wheelin. Not sure how to contact you. New to utilizing forum.
Very cool, do you live in the Portland area? You might be interested sometime in going to the Tillamook State Forest and running a trail or two up that way. Let me know, you can contact by clicking a forum members name and there a private message button. Or you can tag people by using the @TJFreedom like this.

Spinreel was good but more suited to ATV’s I think. Steep hills and jumps. Next day went up Near Dune city/Florence area.View attachment 130933 Launched out of direct access from loop H at Jessie M Honeyman State Park. Great RV camping there. Amazing sand. Flat open areas, huge dunes and trails. Easy drive to the beach and as challenging or easy an area as you choose.

Ive run out of spinreel a few times, real fun on ATV’s and jeeps, even in my Jeep I’ve been able to make all the climbs except for one line on swing hill through the trees, but I can’t say I couldn’t make it since I didn’t try it because I had my son with me at the time. The back sides of the dunes are harder with the razor backs and there were a few of them I couldn’t make

The official reopening of Sand Lake today was a hit! First it looked real stormy then it switched to beautiful and sunny! Hit the sand at about 0800 and headed north to the border to start tracking a route I’m creating throughout the dunes since there are no designated trails or anything.

I rolled up on a few bald eagles picking apart a dead Sea Lion. Other than that the place was a riot, saw one JL and one CJ out there and the rest were your typical dune buggies, sand rails, and dirt bikes.

I was also playing around with my new Garmin Overlander and mapped out a rough route through the dunes for 4x4’s, even though you can go wherever you want. The round trip around sand lake was roughly 10 miles!

06A8B7E8-7C3C-444D-A65F-9D2E848157DB.jpeg
7E8816BA-1038-4EDF-BA5C-D57D3BC9FC4D.jpeg
70BBFDAD-FF9C-4DAB-A311-5B3E0738F591.jpeg
DE5C37A2-90CF-4CDE-A5AA-9BA22A0F35B0.jpeg
B984DF62-BD6B-4866-BE84-85374CF480CB.jpeg
488B5CE3-410B-4ADE-BC3F-EB0A51BDD70D.jpeg
C78E495B-0F27-4B5D-9B96-3A80E620C272.jpeg
BCDB76E5-A025-416E-8D81-D7F75104431D.jpeg
119D0D1F-CA0A-4B15-A375-BE9B81DB10A7.jpeg
4810C560-65AD-40BF-8A87-076DE88AF5BE.jpeg
304DB22C-06BF-40E3-9C64-8E6389C201F3.jpeg
8E795BE2-32A7-454C-92E8-68B2B8DECF35.jpeg

968FD9A9-AD88-4BC9-814E-3B64A316009C.jpeg

B159EC2C-FCA9-487E-8523-F4795AED8F79.jpeg

And left it better than we found it! 😉

Dude thats badass! Whats the white container hanging off your spare in pic # 8?

Dude thats badass! Whats the white container hanging off your spare in pic # 8?
Oh thanks I love it here. The white thing is just some marine debris that washed ashore. I like to pack out trash items that I come across if I can.

I used a soft shackle to affix it to my spare 😁

02F22654-0B93-40F5-A5BC-5A7D8106A625.jpeg

Man I have to head down to OR. I went to school near Pismo but only rode dirt bikes there bit I LOVE THE SAND. so what's the best Oregon dune spot to hit with fam? Need a spot I can trailer to and pitch a tent.

Man I have to head down to OR. I went to school near Pismo but only rode dirt bikes there bit I LOVE THE SAND. so what's the best Oregon dune spot to hit with fam? Need a spot I can trailer to and pitch a tent.
Well Sand Lake here is closer to you and you can trailer and camp (though camping here is now on a reservation basis instead of a first come first serve) like it was before the pandemic.

Dispersed camping is still available here too but obviously you can’t trailer into the sand unless you have a beast of a tow truck.

Otherwise it’s Oregon Dunes NRA 2 hours south of Sand Lake, which is much bigger but also there are way more people there too...they both have pros and cons.

Sand is just so fun to Baja around and coastal sand dunes are where it’s at, such a unique experience. Let me know if you come down here, I’m always open to a meetup!

Reactions: B00mb00m
Well Sand Lake here is closer to you and you can trailer and camp (though camping here is now on a reservation basis instead of a first come first serve) like it was before the pandemic.

Dispersed camping is still available here too but obviously you can’t trailer into the sand unless you have a beast of a tow truck.

Otherwise it’s Oregon Dunes NRA 2 hours south of Sand Lake, which is much bigger but also there are way more people there too...they both have pros and cons.

Sand is just so fun to Baja around and coastal sand dunes are where it’s at, such a unique experience. Let me know if you come down here, I’m always open to a meetup!

Can you get the permit at the point of entry, been wanting to head in there.

Wow sand lake sounds awesome. I'm going on first wheeling trip, if this goes well I'll be looking for more.and coastal Oregon is tops of list. Ill hit you up if I go.

Can you get the permit at the point of entry, been wanting to head in there.
You can actually buy it at local agents all over the state local to you, or you can buy them online and have them shipped to you. But no not at the point of entry, there is a separate day use fee though.

I love Sand Lake, it's a great place! Looks like a fun time, and awesome photos too!

Did you air down?

I love Sand Lake, it's a great place! Looks like a fun time, and awesome photos too!

Did you air down?
Thanks! It was nice to be back out there and enjoy some sand again with my kiddo. This time I did not air down but was running at 27. I like to toy around with pressures when I go, lowest I’ve been was 15 and highest I’ve been was 30.

Interesting to see how the Jeep performs in certain sand obstacles with different pressures. Weird part for me is always do I leave the sway bar connected or disco?

On hillsides disco’d I feel extra tippy and I’m not sure if that’s beneficial or not. However on the mixed variable sand waves of the dunes being disco’d is beneficial.

Reactions: Chris