Satellite Phones

Jorge Bolivar

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hello All!!
I'm on the need of get one satellite phone. I have never deal with such of toy so I'm looking feedback and information.
Where to buy
How to active
Companies that offer this services
What is out there lately.

Thanks in advance!

Hello All!!
I'm on the need of get one satellite phone. I have never deal with such of toy so I'm looking feedback and information.
Where to buy
How to active

Thanks in advance!
I'm curious to know who is running one as well.

$1000.00 for a truly global satellite phone would be a great solution for someone who lives outside of an area as well developed as the US. Most of the ones I see having a monthly plan or a pay when you are planning to need service kind of plan. Iridium is the big one I know that has a service plan. I could really see having one of these if I traveled an area like the outback or NZ.

I'm curious to know who is running one as well.

$1000.00 for a truly global satellite phone would be a great solution for someone who lives outside of an area as well developed as the US. Most of the ones I see having a monthly plan or a pay when you are planning to need service kind of plan. Iridium is the big one I know that has a service plan. I could really see having one of these if I traveled an area like the outback or NZ.

Thanks!
I will be looking into Iridium. As now I need it to cover an emergency, I'm traveling to PR to look after my Family and Planning to help people to call their families around the globe to tell them they are safe. Communications down there will be down for quite while.

Reactions: StG58
Thanks!
I will be looking into Iridium. As now I need it to cover an emergency, I'm traveling to PR to look after my Family and Planning to help people to call their families around the globe to tell them they are safe. Communications down there will be down for quite while.
Oh crap, @Jorge Bolivar, you've got family in the PR!? Good on you for going down to lend a hand. I hope that you find that all is OK. Puerto Rico got pasted by that hurricane.

Oh crap, @Jorge Bolivar, you've got family in the PR!? Good on you for going down to lend a hand. I hope that you find that all is OK. Puerto Rico got pasted by that hurricane.

Yes My Friend, My Mom, Sister , Brother and Grandma leave there. I does not hear from them since the Hurricane enter the island last Tuesday so I'm very worried. The entire island is flooded what make things harder to handle, also lot of communication tower gets destroy and no electric power yet complicate things a little.
I'm always willing to help and gave away when is need, this time is quite different as no communications are available. So I will do my best to help on that area, pretty sure that you know that it is puertoricans even in the Space so I do imagine it is few others looking to know about their families too. Also packing tools to help with the electricity, electric generators, water pumps and any I can help with.
Will miss my Jeep for sure!

Reactions: Ron505 and StG58
Yes My Friend, My Mom, Sister , Brother and Grandma leave there. I does not hear from them since the Hurricane enter the island last Tuesday so I'm very worried. The entire island is flooded what make things harder to handle, also lot of communication tower gets destroy and no electric power yet complicate things a little.
I'm always willing to help and gave away when is need, this time is quite different as no communications are available. So I will do my best to help on that area, pretty sure that you know that it is puertoricans even in the Space so I do imagine it is few others looking to know about their families too. Also packing tools to help with the electricity, electric generators, water pumps and any I can help with.
I'd offer advise, but the time is short and need is great. Grab a couple of "Life Straws" at the local sporting goods store before you head out. The water system has to be messed up beyond belief and safe drinking water must be in short supply. It's too bad we can't load up a 40' container with your TJ, 200 gallons of gas and needed gear to help out. I have no idea how to get it there though. Think basic sanitation, potable water and shelter...covering even the most basic needs will give your family a jump start on surviving this fiasco. Good luck!

Wishing the best for your family Jorge! I've got a friend in Cleveland that also has family in PR.

Reactions: Jorge Bolivar
I have an Iridium Extreme that I bought from a local authorized retailer back around August / September, I hike every chance I get and I had a requirement to be available with both my tech job and my personal tech consulting business. (I'm actually going to list it for sale soon, since that requirement is no longer there).

The technology is antiquated in comparison to your smart phone. If you are in the U.S., Iridium is about your inly option too (both Thuraya and Inmarsat require a clear view of the southern sky).

In terms of coverage and calling abilities in the bush, it was pretty great under he circumstances. I had been able to make and receive calls under tree canopy in mountain valleys in the rain. There are some spots though that just plain suck!

I paid $99/mo in a month to month plan for 150 talk minutes and unlimitd text / email, so it wasn't too bad on costs.

Reactions: Chris
Hello All!!
Where to buy
How to active

Thanks in advance!
We have 2 Delorme InReach Satellite Messengers that utilize the Iridium network. I got these when my wife and I were stationed in the Kalahari in Africa. They worked well and allowed us to communicate to each other perfectly in the same desert and from opposite hemispheres. They are a fraction of what phones go for, so its more affordable but your basically messaging and not talking...so it depends on if that would work for what you want to use them for. Just an option, as they are good for any off-grid situation.