Save My Soul Alternator Replacement

JamesAndTheSahara

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
uh yeah the alternator needs to be replaced now. Please let me know what would be the best replacement for my 1998 TJ Wrangler 4.0 Sahara with the 117A alternator. I was looking at the replacement alternator from Napa (Bosch) for $150.00 with lifetime warranty. Help me get my rig running again!

Alternator upgrades are welcome, although the 01-06 alternators are different and the durango swap can’t be done.

Help!!

4A7F0248-48B2-4E20-BEEB-3E8FF12C16A3.jpeg
30564585-C20E-4C41-909E-99898EEC3157.jpeg

That Bosch 117A should be fine, but has your battery already had a properly conducted load test performed on it? Not many auto parts stores know how to properly give a load test to a battery, they need to hold the proper load on the battery for no less than 10 seconds. Many don't do that and after just a brief test pronounce it good even when it may be bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: CodaMan
That Bosch 117A should be fine, but has your battery already had a properly conducted load test performed on it? Not many auto parts stores know how to properly give a load test to a battery, they need to hold the proper load on the battery for no less than 10 seconds. Many don't do that and after just a brief test pronounce it good even when it is bad.
The advanced test took significantly longer than autozones test. Will be testing the battery again tomorrow once its charged. Thanks for the reccomendation @Jerry Bransford!

That Bosch 117A should be fine, but has your battery already had a properly conducted load test performed on it? Not many auto parts stores know how to properly give a load test to a battery, they need to hold the proper load on the battery for no less than 10 seconds. Many don't do that and after just a brief test pronounce it good even when it is bad.

Technically they can't do a proper load test on it now because it is at 12.3 most likely it would fail a load test right now that it doesn't have a full charge.

Just my .02.

What is the difference between the Durango alt and yours? Also I think Chris gave two different sets of years. Do neither work? I really want that to work.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
Technically they can't do a proper load test on it now because it is at 12.3 most likely it would fail a load test right now that it doesn't have a full charge.

Just my .02.

What is the difference between the Durango alt and yours? Also I think Chris gave two different sets of years. Do neither work? I really want that to work.
Look at the power connection point on your tj and look at the alternators in the swaps. Not the amazon photos but other threads. We have a weird 2 8mm nuts holds a plate on.