Savvy 241 (Rubicon) transfer case shift cable install

I just installed my 231 today. The cable came assembled. I did not remove the skid plate or drive shaft. I found the shifter component sticking through the tunnel was easiest to access from behind the skid. I took the ball off the end of the cable that goes to the shifter by pulling back on the spring loaded collar. Great design for taking off and putting it back on. I then installed the ball and sleeve on the shifter, off of the cable. I mounted the bracket on the transmission with the cable on it, loose. These nuts were really not as big a horror show as I had anticipated. I then mounted the bracket on the tunnel. I wish I had tightened the cable nuts first on the tunnel bracket. They are tough to get a wrench on when it’s installed. I used the tape trick to hold the bolts in place as I mounted the bracket to the tunnel. I assembled the whole thing with the cable assembled, but loose. I then snugged up the cable nuts on both brackets. I was able to make the remaining adjustments with the ball end and the clevis by just spinning them this way and that until things fit without binding. I’m happy with the results. Now when I go into 4LO it actually stays in gear. I just realized I have to crawl under there again to snug up the nuts against the ball end and clevis. Oops. So far worth the money and effort. It was only a few hours for the whole thing. Would I do it again without removing the drive shaft and skid? I think I would. It wasn’t that hard at all.

Reactions: reichlejj
@TJScott Nice! I also installed mine without removing the skid and DS. A little added extra challenge but doable. I had to get a bit creative with the swivel heads sockets and the wrenches but nothing that wasn't unachievable. Also, I used some boards on a jack stand that I laid on it's side to help prop me up off the floor, that helped tremendously haha.

I just installed mine the same way. It just made sense to me to go in from the top to avoid removing the skidplate and DS. Easy install and it works so nice compared to the POS that was there.