Savvy Control Arm Bolts and Johnny Joint on Dana 44 Axle

cpwolf

Texan
Supporting Member
I’m fairly sure I know the answer from reading and my experience, but asking anyway.

The bolts that came with my Savvy DA CA’s upper, fit exactly in the control arm. They are loose in the JJ ball, does that really matter? Not super loose, you can see the gap, but still the clamping should hold it, I believe, but wanted to make sure.

My option would be do drill out the upper and get new Grade 8 bolts that are exact fit to both, but I don’t believe that is necessary. Any advice appreciated from folks that do 100’s of these Vs me and my 3 Jeeps ha.

B8228264-19B9-44C8-AD45-C4F784278A58.jpeg

1CE7D33B-AB6D-4B29-ABCF-E5A0599AE5B9.jpeg

Clamping force is what you care about. You already have it.

Last edited:
Clamping force is what you care about. You already have it.

Here is question for Johnson @mrblaine, should we remove the paint from the clamping surfaces? Is the paint a lubricant? Does the paint effect the faying surface?

Please help.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jjvw
Thanks, thought so. I have the washers, was just showing the fit, blue loctite and torque to spec after I get it on the ground and all measured up,m.

You don’t need to torque JJ’s on the ground.

Reactions: jjvw
Thanks, thought so. I have the washers, was just showing the fit, blue loctite and torque to spec after I get it on the ground and all measured up,m.

Your factory arms and bolts fit just as well because it doesn't matter.

AISC, disagrees with your statement;

"in snug-tight and fully-tensioned bearing connections, paint is unconditionally permitted on the faying surfaces. In slip-critical connections, however, if paint is present, it must be a qualified paint. A qualified paint is one that has been tested in accordance with the RCSC Specification Appendix A and provides a method to determine a slip-coefficient. Other paints that do not offer a defined slip-coefficient are not permitted in areas closer than one bolt diameter but not less than 1 in. from the edge of any hole and in all areas within the bolt pattern of slip-critical connections, even when due to inadvertent over-spray. Coating slip requirements in Appendix A were revised in the 2020 edition of the RCSC Specification. Among many changes the certification of slip resistance is valid for 84 months. The degree of cure of the coating is an essential variable."

Last edited:
I’m fairly sure I know the answer from reading and my experience, but asking anyway.

The bolts that came with my Savvy DA CA’s upper, fit exactly in the control arm. They are loose in the JJ ball, does that really matter? Not super loose, you can see the gap, but still the clamping should hold it, I believe, but wanted to make sure.

My option would be do drill out the upper and get new Grade 8 bolts that are exact fit to both, but I don’t believe that is necessary. Any advice appreciated from folks that do 100’s of these Vs me and my 3 Jeeps ha.

View attachment 360163

View attachment 360164

Drill the hole smaller in the JJ ball.

"in snug-tight and fully-tensioned bearing connections, paint is unconditionally permitted on the faying surfaces. In slip-critical connections, however, if paint is present, it must be a qualified paint. A qualified paint is one that has been tested in accordance with the RCSC Specification Appendix A and provides a method to determine a slip-coefficient. Other paints that do not offer a defined slip-coefficient are not permitted in areas closer than one bolt diameter but not less than 1 in. from the edge of any hole and in all areas within the bolt pattern of slip-critical connections, even when due to inadvertent over-spray. Coating slip requirements in Appendix A were revised in the 2020 edition of the RCSC Specification. Among many changes the certification of slip resistance is valid for 84 months. The degree of cure of the coating is an essential variable."

Tell Jeep that. They must have screwed up hundreds of bolted connections on each vehicle they have been making for decades. Get on it!

Just because you've mastered the art of band-aid application, doesn't mean you're a Doctor...