Savvy control arm prep

so I made a exciting purchase, a set of savvy double adj. rear uppers
I want to know if I have to do anything to them before I install them?
Pull the joint ends off, liberally coat the threads with anti-seize, re-install the joint ends, set to the recommended rough length, then install them.

They come with anti seize applied but more wouldn’t hurt. This is important with steel on aluminum. Also most would recommend taking them apart and greasing them. I had a shop install them so they did the greasing but did not indicate that they had to disassemble. After over a year with some mud runs it seems to be fine with little squeaking but YMMV.

thanks, but im trying to find out if I grease them BEFORE I install them?
Most likely, yes. You should at least pull them apart and check if they need grease. The go-to grease is redline CV-2. That work great for all the guys out west. If you're in mud, it doesn't work that long. I'm experimenting with some energy suspension stuff.

I get they need grease as a preventative maintenance item but I would think Currie would pack them from the factory. Am I wrong?

I get they need grease as a preventative maintenance item but I would think Currie would pack them from the factory. Am I wrong?
Agreed. I def did not take mine apart before install. Once “real” winter roles around, I’ll probably re-antisieze

I put on an entire set of Savvy D.A. control arms a couple few months ago…
I put a more even coat of antiseize on all the J.J. threads. They probably had enough already…
All my J.J. looked like the were reasonably lubed upon arrival, so I didn’t bother adding additional. The grease was smeared/squished out around the perimeter of each pretty evenly so I felt ok about them…
Set my lowers to stock length and installed…
Set my pinion angle with one upper arm and then installed the other upper arm…

With you only doing the rear uppers right now it won’t take you long at all. Just make sure the threads have an even coating of antisieze on them. Make sure there is grease squeezing out around the J.J. Then get it done…

Reactions: thekidwithquestions
I put on an entire set of Savvy D.A. control arms a couple few months ago…
I put a more even coat of antiseize on all the J.J. threads. They probably had enough already…
All my J.J. looked like the were reasonably lubed upon arrival, so I didn’t bother adding additional. The grease was smeared/squished out around the perimeter of each pretty evenly so I felt ok about them…
Set my lowers to stock length and installed…
Set my pinion angle with one upper arm and then installed the other upper arm…

With you only doing the rear uppers right now it won’t take you long at all. Just make sure the threads have an even coating of antisieze on them. Make sure there is grease squeezing out around the J.J. Then get it done…
Thanks, that's the advice I was looking for

Reactions: MichaelGH
I’ve got 20 JJs on my rig (well 2 about to go on), after the first set (16 in the CAs) started creaking within about 8-9mo of install I opened up all the rest I put on and was surprised with how little grease was packed in there (basically just a little on the ball).

It’s easier to go ahead and grease them all up front (even if it’s unnecessary) then pull them and do it later.

Like other threads, though, it may matter more or less depending on your soil makeup.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's the advice I was looking for
That's the advice that tells you to do the least amount of work...Do some searching and you'll find that lately, there have been some instances of joints not being shipped with enough grease.

If it were me...I'd check them. You'll need to learn to disassemble them at some point, anyway. For two control arms I wouldn't bother with the tools (that cost as much as a set of CA's) so a couple long bolts and some sockets should do the trick. The one area not to cheap out is the snap ring pliers...

Reactions: thekidwithquestions
That's the advice that tells you to do the least amount of work...Do some searching and you'll find that lately, there have been some instances of joints not being shipped with enough grease.

If it were me...I'd check them. You'll need to learn to disassemble them at some point, anyway. For two control arms I wouldn't bother with the tools (that cost as much as a set of CA's) so a couple long bolts and some sockets should do the trick. The one area not to cheap out is the snap ring pliers...
my plan is to call savvy and ask them

• Haha
Reactions: Tob
That's the advice that tells you to do the least amount of work...
The least amount of work would be to receive the control arms, not inspect them and immediately install them…

There are four main things a person can do upon receiving their control arms:
1) Inspect them.
2) Add additional antiseize.
3) Add additional J.J. grease.
4) Install them.

If there is an adequate amount of grease squeezing out around the bushings, like there was on mine, there is absolutely zero reason to open them up. Which is why I told him to check before installing. Mine are absolutely squeak/noise free…

The least amount of work would be to receive the control arms, not inspect them and immediately install them…

There are four main things a person can do upon receiving their control arms:
1) Inspect them.
2) Add additional antiseize.
3) Add additional J.J. grease.
4) Install them.

If there is an adequate amount of grease squeezing out around the bushings, like there was on mine, there is absolutely zero reason to open them up. Which is why I told him to check before installing. Mine are absolutely squeak/noise free…
You do you. I've had mine apart enough to know that grease on the outside doesn't mean grease on the inside.

Last edited: