Savvy engine / transmission skid and UCF transfer case skid without a body lift?

psrivats

Team green shackle
Supporting Member
05 TJR with 42RLE. Is it possible to install a Savvy Engine/Trans skid with a UCF tcase skidplate without a body lift without too much hacking involved? Anyone here with this combo?

I don't think the engine skid requires a body lift. Doesn't seem to affect the mounting.

Last edited:
Reactions: psrivats
Just exploring options. Been thinking about Savvy due to the weight and design. Are there other options I should be considering?

The oil pan/trany pan skid is pretty generic, so don't see much you could improve on, IMO.

I installed the Savvy skid with no BL to the stock trans skid
3DC6F100-8525-4937-A94C-3D57AF209D8E.jpeg
07D5DB74-B880-40C5-809A-365391110523.jpeg

The savvy skid just requires you to drill 4 (or so) holes in the transfer case skid in order to attach. It should work but if you look at the attached photos you may need to trim a bit of material off the savvy. If I was in your shoes I would likely just go with the UFC since it was designed to work with the t-case skid.
ucf-aluminum-engine-skid-plate-for-03-06-tjlj-40l.jpg
SAV-UAENG.jpg

I use the Stahlbus drain it has to have a cap removed and then the hose is inserted like an air hose chuck before it will drain. With the Fumoto I worry that a stick or debris could activate it and I would lose oil. Maybe not a likely thing, but still possible

Reactions: psrivats and Alex01
The savvy skid just requires you to drill 4 (or so) holes in the transfer case skid in order to attach. It should work but if you look at the attached photos you may need to trim a bit of material off the savvy. If I was in your shoes I would likely just go with the UFC since it was designed to work with the t-case skid. View attachment 115022View attachment 115023

Aaaah. I see what you are saying. Thanks for pointing that out.

That looks good. How painful are oil changes? Did you get one of those Fumoto valves or something similar to make that easier?

I haven’t change the oil with it on yet, but mine lines right up to the drain plug. I don’t see it being a problem. I might need to put some cardboard or something there to keep it from dripping while draining

Reactions: Alex01
The ucf engine skid is a total copy of the savvy skid. It will work fine.

I have mostly decided to go with the skid row offroad product for the 03-06 4.0 TJ. It's comparable cost wise to UCF/Savvy items but it already comes powdercoated. Hope there is not much modification needed with my UCF skid plate. Will post an update here after I buy and install in a few weeks. I will put a Stahlbus drain valve in it as well before I install to make oil changes easier.

(It already has started raining here a bit .. and this fall/winter I want to finish the stuff I had in mind for my Jeep in 2019 since I did nothing whatsoever in the summer other than to drive it)

jp-0019-jeep-tj-oil-pan-skid-plate-2.jpg
jp-0019-jeep-tj-oil-pan-skid-plate-4.jpg

jp-0019-jeep-tj-oil-pan-skid-plate-5.jpg
jp-0019-jeep-tj-oil-pan-skid-plate-8.jpg

For anyone that is looking to do this in the future -

The UCF transfercase skidplate is NOT compatible with the skidrow offroad engine skid plate. I will be returning it and getting a UCF engine skid (that I should have gotten in the 1st place). The shapes are different and it's much too work to get them to fit together and not worth it.

I only went with skidrow for lower cost since it comes powdercoated but now I will pay for my wrong choice.

That said .. the skidrow offroad skid is beefy as hell. After seeing how heavy it is, I am going to get the 6061-T6 UCF skid.

20191030_161627.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Alex01 and DrDmoney
For anyone that is looking to do this in the future -

The UCF transfercase skidplate is NOT compatible with the skidrow offroad engine skid plate. I will be returning it and getting a UCF engine skid (that I should have gotten in the 1st place). The shapes are different and it's much too work to get them to fit together and not worth it.

I only went with skidrow for lower cost since it comes powdercoated but now I will pay for my wrong choice.

That said .. the skidrow offroad skid is beefy as hell. After seeing how heavy it is, I am going to get the 6061-T6 UCF skid.

View attachment 122565
WHY!!!!!

Looks like I'm ordering a new engine skid today and putting my Skid row for sale.

What was wrong with the skidrow plate? It's difficult to tell from the pictures, looks like there was overlap to make it work. I'm going to attempt the same thing with a Barnes skid at some point.

I know, right!

I ended up buying my engine skid from UCF and even that took a small bit it grinding to get it fit nice and square. I like the setup now.
Mine was ordered quickly after writing that post and has already shipped. Net I'll be losing approximately 40lbs so I'm not really upset.