Savvy or Novak transfer case cable shifter without body lift?

I was curious to know if anyone has ever installed the Novak or Savvy TC cable shifter without having a body lift, MML, or having done a TC drop. That is to say, has anyone installed a cable shifter for no other reason than they felt it was a better way to go over the factory linkage? Will the necessary brackets even fit without a body lift? I would think so, but I don't know for certain. Requesting input from the masses... ;)

I have Savvy shifter without any of the mods you mention. Great addition to the TJs. Totally worth what it costs. The shifting is smooth and precise and there is no fighting the shift lever. Get it @Squatch.

Reactions: Squatch
Do it. It's awesome . Really nice.

I can't remember the drill, but playing with the adjustment slightly matters ..and it's fairly easy to get perfection.

I had a wrench I whacked with a grinder to tighten the big nuts , and I stuck it in my trail kit for good measure .

It's a good idea , with any system , even stock , to understand where 4-lo really is on the transfer case , so you work from solid engagement to 2H and not the other way and have it partially engaged. I 'll disconnect it all...lift the transfer case lever with a bungee or friend and engage the lever on the TC by hand , rotating it toward the rear of the vehicle ..that's my goal ..full throw ...then tighten it down . There is more error at the 2h end than at 4lo in my mind , or to say it better , I want full 4-lo as a baseline .

There are tons of "it jumps out " and I have to hold it in"....thread comments .....that's not engagement , that's transfer case damage waiting to happen .

The savvy is so good you can use 2 fingers. Good stuff.

I was curious to know if anyone has ever installed the Novak or Savvy TC cable shifter without having a body lift, MML, or having done a TC drop. That is to say, has anyone installed a cable shifter for no other reason than they felt it was a better way to go over the factory linkage? Will the necessary brackets even fit without a body lift? I would think so, but I don't know for certain. Requesting input from the masses... ;)
Got the Novak kit on my 4WD converted XJ. Fits and works beautifully. Will be installing on the TJ instead of trying to get the factory crap to work with the TC drop...

Where are you in NOVA? I do not know where a video is, but I put one on my LJ and am willing to assist if you want

I'm in Herndon and would welcome the help! Obviously, there is no hurry. Feel free to PM me your cell, and we can go from there.

Last edited: