Savvy tail light wiring

justinhustle

TJ Enthusiast
Just wired my drivers side tail light but I’m not getting any power?

did I wire something incorrect?

image.jpg

i followed these instructions - https://www.quadratec.com/sites/def...ons/Savvy_Billet_Aluminum_LED_Tail_Lights.pdf

but when i did the drivers side, i had the right brake wire on the left side of my jeep?
my passenger side had 4 wires...so i am totally lost at what is going on.

View attachment 167958
You're not helping. You need to verify that the light is not bad by checking each function with a battery to the wires at the light. Once we know that, then we can proceed with troubleshooting the wiring. If I am not mistaken, both tail light wires are on the left side. They go across with the right side under the tail gate torque box to power up that side.

Do you have a test light?

It has been many years since I installed mine but Blaine, don't they get their ground connection only from the mounting screws? Which means they won't work until they have at least one mounting screw firmly in place.

Reactions: justinhustle
It has been many years since I installed mine but Blaine, don't they get their ground connection only from the mounting screws? Which means they won't work until they have at least one mounting screw firmly in place.

oh well that could explain something, i did not attach to the tub, i only plugged in the harness checking for power.

Yes, the housing has to be grounded to the body before the light will work. That's why the grounds are attached to the housing. We chatted on the phone and he said that the LED panels are dead. I asked if he had a good ground and he said he did. I'm trying to find out if that is true.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
didnt realize it had to ground to tub as well, when i said i had a good ground, i meant on the back of tail light, per photo. my mistake.

back to work, thanks!
Further, anodizing is not a good conductor. You need to have the test light or mounting screw in the hole where the anodizing has been removed if you want to do any testing.

Scrape/sand/Dremel the anodizing away from the screw holes where the screws touch it to assure the housing assembly is well grounded to the tub by the screws. The OE factory tail light housing needs to be grounded by the mounting screws too so it's not just a Savvy thing.

Scrape/sand/Dremel the anodizing away from the screw holes where the screws touch it to assure the housing assembly is well grounded to the tub by the screws. The OE factory tail light housing needs to be grounded by the mounting screws too so it's not just a Savvy thing.
Typically one of the countersink holes is hit with a countersink again after anodizing to get it to bare aluminum.

as expected after the responses i got here, the tail lights are good to go.
just needed to finish the install and ground to the tub.

how did everyone do their plate lights? i dont love the way i have them currently set up, looking for some better ideas from the smarter members around here, thanks!