Savvy transfer case shifter cable install?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I am going to be installing the Savvy transfer case shifter cable on my 2005 Rubicon this weekend, as well as a belly-up skid plate. The issue is that my Savvy shifter cable didn't come with any instructions. It appears I'm not the only one, as this seems to be a common complaint about the Savvy shifter cable, is that no instructions are included. I'm sure I can figure it out myself, but it's got a bag of hardware and I'm not entirely sure where everything goes, and what the procedure is.

Just curious if anyone has any insight on installing one of these things. I'd rather get it right the first time!

@Chris, see PM.

A good way to do it is to remove the old shifter one night after dinner and install the new Savvy the next morning. Breaking it up just helped think through some of the new hardware and where they might fit. Like you said, it becomes a little intuitive as you get into it, but there are some weird pieces, like the very small round aluminum piece that looks like half a wheel. Also, there are no rubber grommets, like the Novak, so don't worry, they're not supposed to be there. I talked to Gerald and they just introduce play, so no need for them (if you are wondering).

Reactions: Chris
I just did mine 3 weeks ago. No instructions needed. Lay it out and see how it works. Remove the TC skid and the front drive line. Remove the old shifter. Attach the new shifter to the tub. Attach the other end bracket to the TC bolts. Move the TC side lever to the 4 low position. Attach the shifter to the cab side shifter. Place the cab side shifter in the 4 low position. Attach the cable to the TC side lever. Adjust the TC side of the cable so there is VERY little play in the cable. Run it through the positions and you're done.

Reactions: Chris
Doesn't the Savvy website have instructions for several of their products?

2003 Rubicon

I just did mine 3 weeks ago. No instructions needed. Lay it out and see how it works. Remove the TC skid and the front drive line. Remove the old shifter. Attach the new shifter to the tub. Attach the other end bracket to the TC bolts. Move the TC side lever to the 4 low position. Attach the shifter to the cab side shifter. Place the cab side shifter in the 4 low position. Attach the cable to the TC side lever. Adjust the TC side of the cable so there is VERY little play in the cable. Run it through the positions and you're done.

Okay, that makes sense. I didn’t think it would be that hard. I was mostly just hoping there wasn’t some sort of important step I was missing or anything, but from what you described, that pretty much sounds like what I had imagined in my head.

Does the front driveshaft have to be removed for sure, or is dropping the TC skid enough?

That Savvy shifter is one of the best things about my new lift install, shifts like a dream now. Not sure I’d own another TJ/LJ without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The factory transfer case linkage is probably one of the worst things about a stock TJ, I think many of us can testify to that!

Reactions: JeepZilla380
I removed the skid on mine, but didn't remove the front drive shaft. I did pick up a pair of 15/16" stubby wrenches though, which made tightening those bolts a hell of a lot easier.

Reactions: Tristar_tj
The factory transfer case linkage is probably one of the worst things about a stock TJ, I think many of us can testify to that!
Nope, the little plastic bushing on the automatic transmission linkage is when it disintegrates and falls out mid super tight trail, in the middle of the night... The tcase linkage is a close second though.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: Hotrodbud and Chris
Nope, the little plastic bushing on the automatic transmission linkage is when it disintegrates and falls out mid super tight trail, in the middle of the night... The tcase linkage is a close second though.

Well, this is one I wasn't even aware of! Sounds like I need to carry a spare!

Reactions: KCsTJ
I removed the front drive shaft just because it makes getting at some of the bolts much easier. It was well worth the 2 minutes of time it took to remove it.

I'll definitely do it in that case!

Well, this is one I wasn't even aware of! Sounds like I need to carry a spare!
Yep, there exists an aftermarket one that works much better. You can however use several zip ties to get yourself off the trail but it's not what you would call a fun installation.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Yep, there exists an aftermarket one that works much better. You can however use several zip ties to get yourself off the trail but it's not what you would call a fun installation.

This aftermarket one you speak of... any chance you can tell me who makes it or a link to it? That's one of those things I'd probably like to replace before I find out the hard way.