Savvy transfer case shifter cable install?

I removed the stock mechanism in the evening in about 30 minutes. Installed the Savvy the next morning in about an hour and a half.

Not difficult, just had to figure out how it all went together. I was also missing a cotter pin. Had to run to the store.

EDIT: I DID remove the skid plate but NOT a driveshaft

I plan to do the same and leave the driveshaft in and remove the skid. Was it a fight for room to work? I'm waiting for my cable now. I removed all the bolts and nuts from the skid just to see what fight I was in for. I was worried about spinning nutserts. Thankfully none. Anti-seize on everything when I put the nuts and bolts back in.

I plan to do the same and leave the driveshaft in and remove the skid. Was it a fight for room to work? I'm waiting for my cable now. I removed all the bolts and nuts from the skid just to see what fight I was in for. I was worried about spinning nutserts. Thankfully none. Anti-seize on everything when I put the nuts and bolts back in.
I left the shaft in and removed the skid. I had no significant difficulties.

One of toughest parts is the dirt and crap falling in your face. My Jeep is new to me so it is not near as clean underneath as I would like it. Can also tell some PO played in the mud some, what a Yahoo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba
I did not think it was a fight for room. There are not many nuts and bolts, so it was rather easy going. I am a small guy, so it was easy getting into the spaces. I did not have a tummy tuck, like I have now, so I had plenty of room. Removing a driveshaft to save time is probably just going to counter the time saved. Hope it goes well. If you need anything, buzz

I installed one with the skid place and drive shaft in place. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra time to remove them.

Ive read so much about these shifters, I felt like I ‘needed one’ but mine shifts perfectly fine. However, when wheeling on some challanging terrain, mine has popped out of gear, maybe 2 times that I can recall. Is this type of shifter a remedy for that?

**AX-15 / 231 transfer case**

Ive read so much about these shifters, I felt like I ‘needed one’ but mine shifts perfectly fine. However, when wheeling on some challanging terrain, mine has popped out of gear, maybe 2 times that I can recall. Is this type of shifter a remedy for that?

**AX-15 / 231 transfer case**
Possibly. If the body is shifting relative to the frame as the body mounts flex, it could knock the transfer case out of gear. A cable shifter would prevent that. If it’s entirely internal to the transfer case, it wouldn’t help.

Definitely worth a try though. Far easier to swap a shifter than to crack open the transfer case.

Reactions: fourpointzero
What!! please tell me more!!
That was back in 2015, I believe, so it's a bit fuzzy in the memory. I just remember I was not interested in removing either the front ds or the skid plate, so I undertook it to install the Savvy shifter without doing either. It took a bit more time, but definitely possible.

I've been working on this project today. The top nut on the transfer case was a pita. Now I've got it 90% installed. The only issues I have are 1) How to tighten the attachments to the TC and Shifter. Guess I need to get a small wrench for the inside nut. 2) I am not 100% how to check if it's fully adjusted correctly. Should I bolt the skid plate back on and test it?

I will say that Savvy makes nice products. However, they need to provide instructions.

You don’t need the skid plate on it to test. Simply jack the transfer case into its approximate position and test there. (Make sure you can shift into every position with a small amount of wiggle room.) Cable shifters in general are far more tolerant of changing angles and positions than the stock style shifters.

Update: Removed the parts that attach to the shifters, lengthened them, and replaced all hardware. It came together perfectly this time and I found a wrench to tighten the nuts. It's all bolted up with the mud scooper back in place. Tested it out and it shifts perfectly. Now my new issue is that the front locker just blinks. Since relocating them is on my 2020 list I will figure that out later.

Reactions: Steel City 06
I just finished installing mine today without dropping the skids. I removed the shifter assembly which made accessing the upper nut super easy. Additionally it made attaching the bolts to the transmission tunnel a simple one man task. I also just popped out the transfer case lever to remove the stubborn grommet. This ended up being a good opportunity to clean out 15 years of dirt that was in it. It took me just at 3 hours from start to finish.
20210427_143906.jpg

Reactions: matkal
this thread has been very helpful... well, that's a bit of an understatement. It's given me hope when all I felt was despair after opening the Savvy box and finding no instructions. Well, maybe despair is a bit of an overstatement.

In any case, I'm about halfway through the job. I didn't remove the skid or front drive shaft and I'm finding plenty of room to work, though that has been contingent on the body lift (which was the only reason I decided I needed to ditch the stock shifter which worked fine prior to the BL). Having a selection of tools also made it possible including a variety of wobbly socket extensions and a 9/16" flex head ratcheting wrench.

0AFF7CA7-C9AF-428A-94A3-069DDE52A4C6.jpeg
Got the kit installed and now for some
Reason I can’t yet it to shift. I am sure I did something stupid. Can anyone tell from the pics?

39D0FDEA-3A06-46CD-AB89-9B6922CD8AF2.jpeg

67E6C07F-2601-4F37-8CEA-428A0F8179F3.jpeg