Savvy Ultimate Steering - what other supporting upgrades are needed

balfred

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys, my apologies if this has already been asked but I didn't see the answers in a search

I have been looking at buying the Savvy Ultimate Steering Kit which comes with Savvys aluminum tie rod and Curries drag link. I was reading on their site and was a little worried about this statement and was wondering what they are talking about that needs to be upgraded.

"These are so strong care must be taken not to destroy other suspension components."

What should I upgrade at the same time or am I going to be ok? I don't beat my Jeep up offroad but I don't have the expertise to do trail repairs on steering so I want to make sure my setup is solid. Thanks!

I think the thought was that you'd be more likely to break something upstream with this setup over the standard currie. I can tell you without a doubt the currie is a damn fine setup. I crashed my drag link into a bolder 20 minutes into the rubicon trail and it took it like a champ. If you aren't running 40" tires and hydro assist I'm not sure you'd need anything stronger. YMMV

Reactions: Alex01
I would rather have the Currie setup. I would much rather have my tie rod bend than for something more serious upstream to break.

I’m not sure what would be next to break, maybe the tie rod end or a knuckle?

Reactions: Serbonze
I would rather have the Currie setup. I would much rather have my tie rod bend than for something more serious upstream to break.

I’m not sure what would be next to break, maybe the tie rod end or a knuckle?
A knuckle sounds real bad!

Yep, that’s what I’m saying. If something breaks on the trail, it’s definitely better when an easily replaceable part breaks.

Or busting the steering gear box clear off the frame. That would be real bad!
OK now I'm getting concerned because I am a worrier. I would prefer none of this happens so maybe I should make my tie rod out of limp spaghetti so it is for sure not going to do anything bad

You could opt for the ZJ tie rod mod if you want something stronger than the stock setup, but not so strong that it no longer is the fuse.

Reactions: skrelnik
I have been told that my steering parts are well, questionable... So I planned on having a local shop install the kit but maybe I will just go for the currie setup without the stiffer tie rod.

Just get the Currie kit, it’s more than up to the task, and it will bend when necessary.

Tie rod crunch at about the 1:20 mark. Looks like it hits the bumper but it was all tie rod.

FWIW this was about my third wheeling trip. Jumped in head first.
Lol, so your saying it can take a lickin. Cool video BTW! And for only your 3rd time out that is a pretty gnarly trail to take on, kudos

Reactions: xxdabroxx
OK now I'm getting concerned because I am a worrier. I would prefer none of this happens so maybe I should make my tie rod out of limp spaghetti so it is for sure not going to do anything bad

I no longer believe anything you post. :p

Lol, so your saying it can take a lickin. Cool video BTW! And for only your 3rd time out that is a pretty gnarly trail to take on, kudos
Thanks, that was my first time editing a video too. Awesome trip, highly recommend it to everyone, gorgeous country up there.

Pretty sure it saved my stock diff cover too. LOL. It is drive by braille approved.

Both the Currie and Savvy tie rods were designed/heat treated to bend when they need to. The Currie will stay bent, the Savvy variation will return to its original position once the pressure that bent it is removed. I used to run a Currie and probably once a year or two had to use a big press to straighten it after running it into something on the trail. Since converting to the Savvy 9-10 years ago I haven't had to straighten it once. That's not likely from improved driving skills. I still drive by Braille. :)