Savvy Under Armor / Skid Plate Install Write-Up

Ok, BL and MML are in. Installing the crossmember. Is it always necessary to clearance the tub over the np241 in a LJ? I seem to have good clearance… 🤔

LJ is irrelevant. And yes. If you think the 241 fits without denting the tub, then you will hear it once you start up and go for a drive.

no problem. I used a big nut and a pry bar on the top of transfer case to make space. It’s not to hard to do.

This is what @tworley and I did on my LJ, just cycle the TC up and down and find where the nut needs to be to add clearance. I've never noticed the dents inside (even though I know they're there under my seat).

Reactions: tworley
.... I've never noticed the dents inside (even though I know they're there under my seat).

The transmission tunnel where the transfer case lives is a double layer of sheet metal. All or most of the dents being made are being pushed into the air gap between layers. Very little should be visible from above.

Is it always necessary to clearance the tub over the np241 in a LJ?
Not at all. Sometimes we leave them in contact with the tub so we can hear how the gears are doing in the t-case. It is nice to be able to hear them full time when they are turning so we know when to change the oil in the case.
I seem to have good clearance… 🤔
Seem is not exactly the same as do have. Unless you have more than 1.25" of body lift and that 1 in a 100,000 rig, you have contact, you just haven't found it yet.

This is what @tworley and I did on my LJ, just cycle the TC up and down and find where the nut needs to be to add clearance. I've never noticed the dents inside (even though I know they're there under my seat).
Most of the under the seat dents are inside the riser for the front two seat base bolts.

What size hardware for the C’s? The 5/16” bolts that came with the kit seem small for the holes

They are not, if they fit the holes perfectly, you'd have to drill them out to get it installed. No washer on the lower bolts that point up. The hole in the skid clears the head of the bolts usually. They will almost never clear the washers. Upper bolts get washers under the heads, no washers under the flange nuts. If you didn't get flange nuts, then the normal nuts get washers.

Reactions: 06TJ35's
They are not, if they fit the holes perfectly, you'd have to drill them out to get it installed. No washer on the lower bolts that point up. The hole in the skid clears the head of the bolts usually. They will almost never clear the washers. Upper bolts get washers under the heads, no washers under the flange nuts. If you didn't get flange nuts, then the normal nuts get washers.

Thanks as always for your help/advice.

Are you familiar with Nord-lock washers?

Maybe wrong thread but if have under armor installed with my manual and swap to auto do I simply need to get diff tranny mount or is there more that must be changed for the under armor?

Maybe wrong thread but if have under armor installed with my manual and swap to auto do I simply need to get diff tranny mount or is there more that must be changed for the under armor?

At least for Savvy on the later models that's all you need.