Savvy Under Armor / Skid Plate Install Write-Up

Rook

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I decided to document the install of the Savvy modular under armor on my 2005 LJ Rubicon to show the issues I ran into and how I worked them out. This write-up is not intended to be an instruction manual: the install of the MUA is pretty straight forward. As a result of the install, several other items are likely going to need addressed.

Before starting the install I relocated the locker pumps to here:

pic01_zpsfdc759e9.jpg

I installed the Savvy mml, 1 ¼” bl and the Novak shifter cable before the MUA. Savvy recommends these additions and I personally do not know how a person could install the MUA without them unless you plan to do major tub modification. I don’t have any pictures of the mml, bl or shifter install.

The MUA arrived with the cross member and attaching hardware in unpainted steel. Living in Pennsylvania, I obviously wanted to paint the steel before installation. The cross member has many nooks and crannies on the inside that would be impossible to cover with spray paint. To paint the inside I taped all the openings on the cross member except the very top. I poured approximately 1 pint of black krylon paint into the cross member and sloshed it around to coat the inside of the cross member. Here are a couple of pictures of the taped up cross member:

pic02_zpsa76e728e.jpg

pic03_zpsdd3fa695.jpg

After I drained the excess paint from the cross member and let the paint dry, I proceeded to paint the outside and all the other steel parts. I sprayed one coat of krylon primer and two coats of krylon satin black on all the parts. Here are all parts painted:

pic04_zps244007c4.jpg

Now it is almost time to start the install. I supported the transmission with a jack stand. I removed the four transmission mount nuts that hold the mount to the skid. I used a floor jack to support the skid plate and removed the six bolts that hold the skid to the frame. I lowered the floor jack and removed the skid. Just as I expected, there was rust on the frame rails where the skid contacts the rails. I have owned a 2005 TJ and this 2005 LJ and both have had extremely clean frames (for Pennsylvania) but both have had rust in this area. This is just a warning to expect to have to deal with some rust in this area. Here is a picture of the rust on the frame rail:

pic05_zpse9ddcce3.jpg

I used a welder’s hammer to remove the scale:

pic06_zpsbb8fddcd.jpg

I then used a wire brush on a drill to clean up the frame rails:

pic07_zps24310096.jpg

Finally I painted the rusted areas with por-15:

pic08_zps1ddddc45.jpg

Now I finally get to move on to the actual install. The first step is to install the outer c’s. This requires that the center body mount be removed. I loosened all the body mounts and jacked up one side of the body and then slipped the outer “c” over the frame rail and over the middle body mount location. Here is a pic of the installed outer “c”:

pic09_zpsf98c6404.jpg

Next the existing transmission mount and exhaust hanger was removed. Here is picture of the existing mount:

pic10_zps443e9aa0.jpg

The rubber thimble in the existing exhaust hanger needs to be removed and installed in the new hanger. The thimble is shown here:

pic11_zps9eec0e3c.jpg

Here is the new hanger with the rubber thimble ready to install (it just pushes in fairly easy):

pic12_zpscf5ef572.jpg

Next the new exhaust hanger was loosely bolted to the trans. mount and the mount was bolted to the transmission. I first tried to install the inner “c’s” on to the outer “c’s” before I installed the cross member but I didn’t have room to get the cross member in place. I had to remove the inner “c’s” and install the cross member first and then slide the inner “c’s” in place. Once the cross member and “c’s” were in place, they were all bolted down. Here is a picture of the installed inner “c”:

pic14_zps232999ed.jpg

Here is a picture of the installed cross member:

pic15_zpsbc84bc5b.jpg

I jacked up the trans./transfer case until the trans. mount holes lined up with the holes in the cross member. The transfer case was contacting the tub in two places shown here:

pic16_zps2a0dd349.jpg

I happened to have this nut in my garage. It is a 1” lock nut that had a rounded top:

pic17_zps5f2eb2b3.jpg

I placed the nut on top of the transfer case where the case was contacting the tub and jacked the transfer case into the tub. Here is a picture of the placement of the nut:

pic19_zpsc450a4b2.jpg

It did make a dimple in the tub but the transfer case wanted to slide towards the tunnel when I jacked it up due to the slope of the tub. I lowered the case back down and installed a ratchet strap from the transmission mount to the frame rail so that the transfer case could not slide towards the tunnel. Here is a picture of the ratchet strap placement:

pic20_zpse5c61bb7.jpg

I replaced the nut and this time I wedged a crow bar above the other contact point and jacked the transfer case into the tub again. Here is picture of the crow bar location:

pic21_zps6da77c86.jpg

This time all went well and I had good clearance at both points (approximately 3/8”)

pic22_zpsc872d651.jpg

The next issue I had to deal with was the exhaust. The tail pipe was hitting the frame rail shown here:

pic23_zps4f4da613.jpg

I removed the tail pipe and muffler from the cat. I had a piece of exhaust pipe bent with a 2” vertical offset to be installed between the muffler and the first hanger on the tail pipe. Here is a picture of the original exhaust:

pic24_zpsd0fc9ea3.jpg

Here is a picture of the new piece of pipe installed on the existing tail pipe:

pic25_zps0927483a.jpg

Here is a picture of the new pipe installed on the jeep:

pic27_zps75ccf768.jpg

As a result, here is the clearance that was gained between the tail pipe and the frame rail:

pic28_zpsda4ae7d5.jpg

At this point I took the jeep for a test ride and everything seemed good with no thumps or contact.

Finally, I was now able to install the aluminum skid. Before installing the skid I treated it with two coats of Sharkhide aluminum protectant. I wanted to keep the raw aluminum appearance. I have no experience with Sharkhide so the jury is still out on how it will hold up. Here are pictures of the installed skid:

pic29_zpsaa11a8ba.jpg

pic30_zps41622527.jpg

pic31_zps97e4c61c.jpg

And this is what the final results look like:

pic32_zps1939ada6.jpg

I ended up not having any vibes with original driveshaft. I am planning to get a new double cardan driveshaft because the yokes on the upper u-joint look pretty close and I am afraid they may hit at full droop. I did not purchase or install the Savvy transmission/oil pan skid. I had a Rusty’s transmission/oil pan skid that I was able to modify to fit on the Savvy transfer case skid. One final note: I used anti-seize on just about all the threads. Anti-seize is your friend if you live in the northern climate.

In the end I ended up gaining 2 ¾“ additional ground clearance at the skid. I would say the Savvy module under armor is a very well designed and constructed product. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is considering a tummy tuck. I hope this write-up will help someone who is installing or considering this product.

Rook, great write up and thanks for all the great info. I’m currently waiting on my Under Armor to ship and hope to install soon. I also have a LJR with MML & 1.25 BL, and was curious about your thoughts on needing a CV driveshaft.

Great Write Up. This is on the list...Just gotta wait for a nice bonus check from work.

I really want to do this someday, but I'm kinda wary about a body lift in general. Part of that is aesthetic, the other part is worry about vibrations. Were CJ and YJ owners doing tummy tucks as much as TJ owners?

I really want to do this someday, but I'm kinda wary about a body lift in general. Part of that is aesthetic, the other part is worry about vibrations. Were CJ and YJ owners doing tummy tucks as much as TJ owners?
Don't fear the Body Lift. 1.25 isn't bad. On mine, I've taken measures to hide it, and if you didn't know where to look, you'd never know it was lifted. Shouldn't affect vibs at all, as it doesn't change any of the drivetrain, nor does it change how the body is mounted. About the only thing I noticed after my BL is a very slight increase in body roll.

CJ and YJ's don't have a skid that hangs down as far. With the CJ, they used a much smaller, gear driven T-case, Dana 20, I think. YJ's used the 231, but the skid was much smaller, IIRC.

Great write up. It makes me think I can do this! I love the Savvy. I could have used this mod at least 4 times my last time out. Stupid shovel.

Don't fear the Body Lift. 1.25 isn't bad. On mine, I've taken measures to hide it, and if you didn't know where to look, you'd never know it was lifted. Shouldn't affect vibs at all, as it doesn't change any of the drivetrain, nor does it change how the body is mounted. About the only thing I noticed after my BL is a very slight increase in body roll.

CJ and YJ's don't have a skid that hangs down as far. With the CJ, they used a much smaller, gear driven T-case, Dana 20, I think. YJ's used the 231, but the skid was much smaller, IIRC.

The body roll makes sense. What did you do to hide the gap?

I recently picked up an 06 TJ Unlimited Rubicon with the Savvy MUA and tranny/engine skid installed by the previous owner. He also made sure to use anti seize not only on all the bolt threads but also on the tapered part of the counter sunk bolts after braking one due to the tapered part seizing. I just pulled the skid off a couple of weeks ago fpr routine maintainence and also had one bolt breaking due to seizing in the same place.
I also drilled a couple of 1” holes in the aluminum directly ahead of the main crossmember to help with draining mud and water. Overall I think this is one of the best skids on the market.

Reactions: psrivats
I have the UCF ultra high clearance in my YJ...it really gave a lot of clearance at the frame. Tim
The Savvy is a nice unit, similar to the 33rd engineering design.

Last edited:
Reactions: psrivats

Dana 300 starting about 1980, Dana 20 before that. Tim
Think of passenger drop atlas with 2.72 to 1 low range. The first gen Atlas was a copy of the 300, subsequent models allowed for a front driveshaft that was farther off of engine/transmission centerline giving it more versatility.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike_H and psrivats
The biggest place it's noticable is the rear end, and my bumper is taller, so it hides the gap.

I've also heard of guys having a valance made to cover the gap.View attachment 74693

Thanks! without you telling me about it, I certainly would not have guessed at all you had a busy lift at all as you said earlier. What bumper is that? ARB? Looks good.

To add to this I picked up a slight vibration at idle after the install. This maybe due to the rigidity of the new savvy cross member.

Reactions: JMT
Excellent write-up! Thanks for posting. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

based on the below photo, it seems like the transmission is now solidly mounted to the cross-member. As in no longer any insulating material (rubber or urethane / polyurathane as found in most trans mounts). Am I seeing that correctly?

and I'm interested in seeing a similar photo, except from the front of the vehicle as opposed to looking from the rear (as in this photo).

thanks!

Just finished installing mine this weekend, along with the Savvy Engine/transmission skid. The trans mount is solid, but the bolt holes it bolts to in the crossmember have bushings in them, so no - not a completely solid mount.

Great writeup! Since the savvy skidplate came with no instructions, I used this writeup extensively - thank you!

Couple of questions for the OP:
1. Your photos show holes on the front of the savvy skid - are those stock? I had to drill the holes to bolt to munt the savvy engine/trans skid.

2. Did you have any other issues besides some vibration after the install? I have an LJR so had no driveshaft vibes, but am having all sorts of other weird noises. Going to exhaust shop tomorrow to hopefully work its magic there, but this Jeep sounds & feels very different than before - not all good. Am interested in your experience here.

Just finished installing mine this weekend, along with the Savvy Engine/transmission skid. The trans mount is solid, but the bolt holes it bolts to in the crossmember have bushings in them, so no - not a completely solid mount.

Great writeup! Since the savvy skidplate came with no instructions, I used this writeup extensively - thank you!

Couple of questions for the OP:
1. Your photos show holes on the front of the savvy skid - are those stock? I had to drill the holes to bolt to munt the savvy engine/trans skid.

2. Did you have any other issues besides some vibration after the install? I have an LJR so had no driveshaft vibes, but am having all sorts of other weird noises. Going to exhaust shop tomorrow to hopefully work its magic there, but this Jeep sounds & feels very different than before - not all good. Am interested in your experience here.
@tomtaylz and I recently installes the same kit on his LJR. As for question 1 we had to drill holes to mount the oil skid as well.

He also experianced noises from the tuck. Are you positive nothing is hitting on the transfercase? We had to clearance 3 areas in order to get rid of most the noises.

An exhaust shop also added about 3" in front of the muffler and removed 3" after.

Reactions: Blend120
Thanks for the quick reply. I had to drill holes too, so I guess that's ok.

I have a 1.25" BL. I looked & looked, and I *thought* I had clearance to the tub, but now your post has me thinking....

Did you have clearance issues the same places the OP did above?

Thanks for the quick reply. I had to drill holes too, so I guess that's ok.

I have a 1.25" BL. I looked & looked, and I *thought* I had clearance to the tub, but now your post has me thinking....

Did you have clearance issues the same places the OP did above?
All of the points of contact were the same has his. Like I said we had to clearance 3 areas right where he did. Tom also has a 1.25 body lift.

If you drop the skid you should be able to get a crowbar in there to gain a bit more room.