Saw a new JL Rubicon today

We placed an order at the end of April for my wife’s JL Rubicon four door. With the options and engine we chose I’m hesitant to share the price as they’re pretty proud of them these days. It will however be her daily driver and she’s thrilled. Happy wife, happy life......

We placed an order at the end of April for my wife’s JL Rubicon four door. With the options and engine we chose I’m hesitant to share the price as they’re pretty proud of them these days. It will however be her daily driver and she’s thrilled. Happy wife, happy life......
Your life your money my man. Do what you want and don’t worry about what others say. Im not for or against the JL or the jk for that matter. If someone has the money for one and they like it why the should they get bashed for it. It’s a damn good looking jeep. Congrats on the purchase! At the end of the day if your finances are in check and your able to swing it go for it. Ppl that are bashing the idea of actually getting one are more than likely just envious that they can’t afford it. Your gonna have an awesome stable of jeeps.

I've seen a few in my travels for work. I don't care for the whisker marker/turn signal switchbacks. And the tail lights... WTH, not even "Jeeplike". At least the JK was still "Jeeplike"....

I mean the “too many gadgets” “gonna eventually fail” comments are overplayed IMO. It’s a fine piece of machinery and the best part is you can drive it in the winter without having your frame rust out haha.
When I hear comments like that I often think about when cruise control was put in automobiles. Were people afraid of it? When automotive manufacturers went from a cable actuated throttle body to an electric throttle body no on batted an eye. Were people afraid of electronic fuel injection when it surfaced?

I won't say I haven't been interested to test drive a 2-door JL, but I know for a fact I won't pay that much. If I got the urge to update, it would most likely be a 2014 -2016 JK Sport. The 2012 I had previously was more than enough Jeep for my needs. I just couldn't pass up my '04 Rubicon when I found it.

Reactions: Squatch
I like the looks of the JL. I'd want a 2 door, but the JLs are out of my league money wise. If I needed a "new to me" Jeep, I'd go 2 door JK with the Pentastar.

Reactions: Starrs
As someone who had a very nice 94 Bronco Eddie Bauer, I'm curious to see the new Bronco. Have yet to see a "real" depiction other than the one under a tarp a few months ago. I have heard it has a cameo in the movie "Rampage", but in a movie, they tend to be still conceptualized. Or modified without being able to see the original platform....

I won't say I haven't been interested to test drive a 2-door JL, but I know for a fact I won't pay that much. If I got the urge to update, it would most likely be a 2014 -2016 JK Sport. The 2012 I had previously was more than enough Jeep for my needs. I just couldn't pass up my '04 Rubicon when I found it.
In my area the JKs are already free falling in price. I saw a 2012 jkr bright silver mettalic which is cool because it’s the same color as my TJR with 19k miles for 25k. There are deals to be had going forward in these. The JL is just priced too high right now. I like it, but not that much yet.

From a guy who for years wanted only a CJ-7 and many times thought that the TJ was too new of a Jeep even, the JL is just a damn nice vehicle. Its the first Wrangler I've been in and driven that I can honestly say I'd take as a daily driver. That is essentially what led to us ordering one to replace my wife's Grand Cherokee. To this point she would have had to give up several creature comforts, on road comfort etc if she went to a Wrangler as her daily and with the JL we feel that they've gotten rid of (or minimized to an acceptable point) the shortcomings with previous models in this role. We drove a 2018 JK Rubicon Recon and then got in a JL Rubicon of similar specs. After that the JK wasn't even the least bit appealing. The two platforms are just that different. (I still think that the TJ/LJ may be the epitome of Wrangler platform in my mind)

When we started to price out a Sport and Sahara with many of the options she wanted or had currently in the Grand Cherokee (and some that still weren't available in those trim levels) it really wasn't much more to go ahead and move into the Rubicon.

Several years back we had a 4Runner that we both wish we had kept. She has been looking to move back to a 4Runner in the last couple of years but while they're fantastic vehicles from a reliability/resale standpoint, this generation is getting long in the tooth when it comes to amenities/drivetrain etc when looking at the competition. When we purchased the TJ last year she really started to think about how she could make a 4 door work for her and the families needs. The big reason why she ultimately decided against the 4Runner is that you can only take the top off of them one time. :D

When comparing the price of a a Limited or TRD Pro 4Runner you're right back in to JL Rubicon Territory and when you put them side by side and realize just what all you're getting feature wise in the JLs, we pulled the trigger on one. Yes they're more expensive than the previous JKs but look at what all you're actually getting at those prices and you'll realize Jeep really isn't much more (if any) than what you could deem their competition on this model.

If my information is right, FCA sold 70 units fewer of the JLs in March than Toyota did of the Camry. Those are huge numbers for Jeep and I think a signal of just how appealing the new platform is to people in the market for an SUV. Is it a Wrangler for those of us that want to tuck our TJ/LJ in at night and tell it how lucky we are to still have them? Maybe not, but my wife is now googling information on Moab and offroad parks and trails in different parts of the country. If it took a JL to do that, then I plan to enjoy the heck out of it with her and the kids.

From a guy who for years wanted only a CJ-7 and many times thought that the TJ was too new of a Jeep even, the JL is just a damn nice vehicle. Its the first Wrangler I've been in and driven that I can honestly say I'd take as a daily driver. That is essentially what led to us ordering one to replace my wife's Grand Cherokee. To this point she would have had to give up several creature comforts, on road comfort etc if she went to a Wrangler as her daily and with the JL we feel that they've gotten rid of (or minimized to an acceptable point) the shortcomings with previous models in this role. We drove a 2018 JK Rubicon Recon and then got in a JL Rubicon of similar specs. After that the JK wasn't even the least bit appealing. The two platforms are just that different. (I still think that the TJ/LJ may be the epitome of Wrangler platform in my mind)

If my information is right, FCA sold 70 units fewer of the JLs in March than Toyota did of the Camry. Those are huge numbers for Jeep and I think a signal of just how appealing the new platform is to people in the market for an SUV. Is it a Wrangler for those of us that want to tuck our TJ/LJ in at night and tell it how lucky we are to still have them? Maybe not, but my wife is now googling information on Moab and offroad parks and trails in different parts of the country. If it took a JL to do that, then I plan to enjoy the heck out of it with her and the kids.

I feel like this was Jeep’s overall goal with the JK design and tweaked it just a bit with the JL to hit the homerun to get consumers thinking the way you explained.

Your life your money my man. Do what you want and don’t worry about what others say. Im not for or against the JL or the jk for that matter. If someone has the money for one and they like it why the should they get bashed for it. It’s a damn good looking jeep. Congrats on the purchase! At the end of the day if your finances are in check and your able to swing it go for it. Ppl that are bashing the idea of actually getting one are more than likely just envious that they can’t afford it. Your gonna have an awesome stable of jeeps.

For me, it’s not “not being able to afford it”. I’m a follower of Dave Ramsey, so I tend to look at money differently.

A few years ago, I had way different principles. Believe me :)

For me, it’s not “not being able to afford it”. I’m a follower of Dave Ramsey, so I tend to look at money differently.

A few years ago, I had way different principles. Believe me :)
So you just don’t like it then I guess is what your getting at? Yea the JL isn’t going to be for everybody. I think it looks awesome, but I don’t think I could pull the trigger on a brand new one. In a year or 2 I wouldn’t doubt I’ll end up with one.

So you just don’t like it then I guess is what your getting at? Yea the JL isn’t going to be for everybody. I think it looks awesome, but I don’t think I could pull the trigger on a brand new one. In a year or 2 I wouldn’t doubt I’ll end up with one.

I don’t know if I like it or not. Haven’t seen that many on the road yet to make up my mind.

I don’t think it’s worth the price. I do know that.

As much as I like the new JL, I keep going back and forth about owning a new one. I have a lease on my DD (BMW X3) that is ending in January 2019. Besides my TJ, I have another vehicle that is not my DD (Dodge Challenger). So I will be buying (not likely leasing) a DD, I am going back and forth on getting a 2dr JK hardtop (2014-2016) or a new JL 2dr (dual top)...or a 2014-2016 Grand Cherokee (don't like the newest redesign). As far as Wranglers, I feel love for all generations... I like the looks of the TJ's the best and like the simplicity. But I feel the JK's are a step up in comfort and possibly reliability (if just because they are newer). And then the JL's are the one you can really call a daily driver and have all the comfort/features, but still take it pretty much anywhere. I am pretty sure in their stock form JL's are more capable than a stock TJ or even a mildly built TJ...
The YJ to me is the proverbial "ugly red headed stepchild"...but it's also in its own way "so ugly it's cute" (for lack of a better phrase...I hate using the word "cute" to describe anything but a baby or a puppy...
Who doesn't like CJ5's and CJ7's - these to me are the big brutes of the Wranglers (I know they are not wranglers per se).