Saw a new JL Rubicon today

Almost two weeks in to having our JL and the wife absolutely loves it. I've spent a little bit of time with it and have to say I'm pretty fond of it as well. Sure it doesn't have the ruggedness and simplicity appeal of the TJ/LJ years but its a blast to drive and and has great road manners. She talked me out of the 35" Ridge Grapplers I originally intended to run on the LJ and we put on a 2.5" spacer lift until I can spend some time evaluating suspension systems. Other than the added stiffness from the large Load E tires it drives very close to stock with the changes. We're headed to Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs this weekend and plan to spend Monday at the ORV Park there if all works out. I don't plan to do anything too crazy with it but we should be able to have an enjoyable time with the kids while driving it off pavement. If anything it has me itching to get my LJ completed and back on the road. (She did say she still got more waves in the LJ which is saying alot!)

View attachment 44107

The stance of this is great looks good! I’ll probably get a newer Jeep one day if for anything to have the extra space.

The stance of this is great looks good! I’ll probably get a newer Jeep one day if for anything to have the extra space.

This was our first road trip in the JL. Previously my wife's daily driver was a Grand Cherokee. Two kids (three and five), all of our stuff, five day road trip with a travel time of 9 hours each way, and we were more comfortable and had more room than in our Grand Cherokee. Being able to get off of I-40 and go right on to trails was a huge plus as well as well.

For its intended purpose in our family the JL so far is stellar.

We spent the day at the Hot Springs ORV Park this past Monday, basically had the place to ourselves. It was great to leisurely ride some trails with the kids and give the wife a chance to pilot her JL over some different terrain and obstacles. We started on just 1 and 2 Diamond trails. Part way through the day we came across a group in a JK Unlimited, nice local folks who asked if we wanted to ride together for a bit. After a bit I may have wandered on to some 4 Diamond trails that gave us a little pucker factor in a few spots but I took my time, got good lines and let the crawl ratio take over. I loved it. She loved it. The kids loved it.

It will never be a TJ/LJ and I will never look at it with the affection I do for my old girl, but so far I have no regrets about having this JL Rubicon in the driveway. Sure its extremely modern compared to the Jeeps we discuss here but for what it is (and what it is supposed to be), its a home run in my book.

Now if I can only steal more time away to work on the LJ so these can get on the trails together.

(Shot from the top of the Pipeline at the ORV Park where we stopped off with the kids for a little picnic and break)
View attachment 45225
I’m excited to see what AEV has to offer soon ;)

Reactions: techster82
I’m excited to see what AEV has to offer soon ;)

So am I. Its been hard restraining myself (and the wife) from diving in too deep parts/accessories/suspension wise as I know there will be lots more options in the near future. The 2.5" spacer kit we put on is a temporary setup to give the 35s some room to breathe until I decide on a actual suspension replacement. Some of the other purchases are necessary now and I understand that they may be pulled off and replaced at some point.

Reactions: Starrs
So am I. Its been hard restraining myself (and the wife) from diving in too deep parts/accessories/suspension wise as I know there will be lots more options in the near future. The 2.5" spacer kit we put on is a temporary setup to give the 35s some room to breathe until I decide on a actual suspension replacement. Some of the other purchases are necessary now and I understand that they may be pulled off and replaced at some point.
I think they are going to have some really cool looking items. An AEV upfitted JL would be amazing, but that’s gonna run you 65k plus hahaha.

I test drove a 2 door JL Rubicon yesterday. I took my 10 year old along for the ride; she noticed the power windows right away along with how "fancy" it was.

I was impressed, the JL is nice. I really like the size of the 2 door.

44111969311_016781c40d_z.jpg
IMG_1665

42302831990_e0909e9b0d_z.jpg
IMG_1667

I test drove a 2 door JL Rubicon yesterday. I took my 10 year old along for the ride; she noticed the power windows right away along with how "fancy" it was.

View attachment 51857IMG_1665

View attachment 51858IMG_1667
That’s a nice granite crystal JLR. Only thing it’s missing is the metal bumper group, but with AEV launching their parts now soon if prolly skip it and wait for their bumpers anyway. They are nice looking, and prolly ride very good. Hard to believe you can fit a 35” on that with no lift!

View attachment 51857IMG_1665

View attachment 51858IMG_1667

I like that. Factory highline setup and hood louvres? Did it feel more powerful/nimble on the road compared to TJs?

I like that. Factory highline setup and hood louvres?

Yes and yes.

Salesman said exactly what Starrs replied, 35s are no problem with the Rubicon.

Did it feel more powerful/nimble on the road compared to TJs?

It was very smooth, agile and quick too. I like the 3.6, it has nice power. I'm sure in most all acceleration tests, the 3.6 would win easily.

Reactions: Starrs and psrivats
Wait til the 2019 diesel hits and the aftermarket works out how to delete the emissions.

The future is here.

The past doesn't look so bad either .

Reactions: Starrs
I wish I had 100K to pop for about 100 PCM's for the JL, put them on the shelf and wait. Mark them up to 2-3K and have the market by the balls...

• Haha
Reactions: psrivats
Agreed . Hard to imagine taking one off road . Seems insane.

It takes a big man to cry , but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.