Saw you liked R1's Chris?

Kathy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
IMG_0206.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG
i was snooping through threads and saw you reference an R1 forum. I had bought my son a drz supermoto for graduation and 8 months later he decided to trade it for an R 1. Before he killed Himself on it I convinced him to trade my boyfriends atv for his R1. He then quickly traded the quad for a triumph crotch rocket which he totalled going around a round about . Dave , my bf, just recently sold the R1. If he didn't already have 2 bikes he would have kept it. He loved it but knew he would get in trouble on it. Do u still have an R1?

IMG_0209.JPG

View attachment 20267 View attachment 20268 View attachment 20269 i was snooping through threads and saw you reference an R1 forum. I had bought my son a drz supermoto for graduation and 8 months later he decided to trade it for an R 1. Before he killed Himself on it I convinced him to trade my boyfriends atv for his R1. He then quickly traded the quad for a triumph crotch rocket which he totalled going around a round about . Dave , my bf, just recently sold the R1. If he didn't already have 2 bikes he would have kept it. He loved it but knew he would get in trouble on it. Do u still have an R1?

Very cool! I don't have my R1 anymore, but here's some photos of it:

14706812_10209556327959289_6276412173716981332_o.jpg

Also, here's a photo of my old Aprilia RSV4 Factory:

12716403_10207553947701034_2992198052322641867_o.jpg

Here's a photo of my old Ducati 999R:

11703267_10206136233859074_1622597329775823171_o.jpg

Here's a photo of my old Ducati 998S:

IMG_0627_JPG.jpg

Here's a photo of my old Harley Sportster (and me too):

1238972_10204068398724488_3437360886580445470_n.jpg

That's just a few of the bikes I've owned, literally.

At some point or another, I've probably owned any "cool" bike worth owning.

I sold them all though, because once I had kids, I simply didn't have time to ride anymore. Our oldest is getting ready to start kindergarten, so that will change, and I'll be buying another motorcycle again at some point. Just have to figure out what it will be this time!

Now wait... You didn't say that your son killed himself literally, did you? I sure hope not!

Another issue I have with these sport bikes, is that as I get older, my body doesn't like the riding position very much. When I was in my twenties I could ride in this position all day long. But being in my mid-30s now, I find that riding a bike like a Harley is so much more comfortable and relaxing.

Sure, it's not as fast as one of these crotch rockets, but when you get older, you tend to not care about that anymore (at least I don't). Now I just enjoy a nice cruise on a sunny day!

IMG_1664.JPG
IMG_0468.JPG
IMG_0449.JPG
IMG_0786.JPG
Very cool! I don't have my R1 anymore, but here's some photos of it:

View attachment 20279

Also, here's a photo of my old Aprilia RSV4 Factory:

View attachment 20280

Here's a photo of my old Ducati 999R:

View attachment 20281

Here's a photo of my old Ducati 998S:

View attachment 20282

Here's a photo of my old Harley Sportster (and me too):

View attachment 20283

That's just a few of the bikes I've owned, literally.

At some point or another, I've probably owned any "cool" bike worth owning.

I sold them all though, because once I had kids, I simply didn't have time to ride anymore. Our oldest is getting ready to start kindergarten, so that will change, and I'll be buying another motorcycle again at some point. Just have to figure out what it will be this time!

Now wait... You didn't say that your son killed himself literally, did you? I sure hope not!

Another issue I have with these sport bikes, is that as I get older, my body doesn't like the riding position very much. When I was in my twenties I could ride in this position all day long. But being in my mid-30s now, I find that riding a bike like a Harley is so much more comfortable and relaxing.

Sure, it's not as fast as one of these crotch rockets, but when you get older, you tend to not care about that anymore (at least I don't). Now I just enjoy a nice cruise on a sunny day!

Sweet bikes!! I have a sportster iron also.mine has a 1200 conversion kit in it so goes faster then I'll ever want or need to go. But my bike rides like lumber wagon. I've been thinking about upgrading the suspension on it, but my jeep has taken over my focus:). I must say though, since realizing I can touch on my boyfriends drz supermoto, I've been loving driving that also! And that's a pic of me and my baby, Colin. No he is not deaf. I had him trade his R1 so he wouldn't kill himself! I remember when he was 3. Cherish every moment!

Reactions: Chris
View attachment 20297 View attachment 20298 View attachment 20295 View attachment 20296

Sweet bikes!! I have a sportster iron also.mine has a 1200 conversion kit in it so goes faster then I'll ever want or need to go. But my bike rides like lumber wagon. I've been thinking about upgrading the suspension on it, but my jeep has taken over my focus:). I must say though, since realizing I can touch on my boyfriends drz supermoto, I've been loving driving that also! And that's a pic of me and my baby, Colin. No he is not deaf. I had him trade his R1 so he wouldn't kill himself! I remember when he was 3. Cherish every moment!

Very cool! Mine is a 1200 as well, and like you said, it goes faster than I'll ever need to go these days. Mine handled bad when I first bought it, but I ended up putting Ohlins suspension on the front and rear. That totally transformed the way the bike road (no kidding), and made it handle very, very well.

I've liked Supermoto bikes for a long time, but being only 5'9", I was never able to touch the ground of them on any that I tried. That was alway disappointing, because they seemed like so much fun.

Time flies with kids. We have a 4 year old girl and a 1 year old girl (almost 18 months). It's amazing how fast the time has gone so far, so I am definitely cherishing it ever chance I get.

Very cool! Mine is a 1200 as well, and like you said, it goes faster than I'll ever need to go these days. Mine handled bad when I first bought it, but I ended up putting Ohlins suspension on the front and rear. That totally transformed the way the bike road (no kidding), and made it handle very, very well.

I've liked Supermoto bikes for a long time, but being only 5'9", I was never able to touch the ground of them on any that I tried. That was alway disappointing, because they seemed like so much fun.

Time flies with kids. We have a 4 year old girl and a 1 year old girl (almost 18 months). It's amazing how fast the time has gone so far, so I am definitely cherishing it ever chance I get.

My tip toes can touch on Daves drz, Not the safest but it's so fun to ride!

Was it difficult to install the new suspension? I thought I heard the front can get tricky. If not too hard, I think I might tackle that soon with Daves help if it makes that much of a ride difference. Any pointers would be great!

Reactions: Chris
My tip toes can touch on Daves drz, Not the safest but it's so fun to ride!

Was it difficult to install the new suspension? I thought I heard the front can get tricky. If not too hard, I think I might tackle that soon with Daves help if it makes that much of a ride difference. Any pointers would be great!

The suspension is easy to install, no issues there at all. After it was done though, I took it to my local motorcycle race shop. I had the guys (who are former AMA racers) dial in the suspension for me. They charged me $60, but they knew how to get it dialed in perfectly. Took about 1 hour, but after I left that thing handled like a totally new bike. Best money I've ever spent on a motorcycle, hands down.

Reactions: Kathy

What year is your Harley and can you share the exact suspension parts you bought to install? My bike is a 2009 iron. Do you think my bike would take the same exact kit you bought? It's the Harley rally tom. In Milwaukee and want to see what else there is for options but want to read up on the shocks you got. Thanks!

What year is your Harley and can you share the exact suspension parts you bought to install? My bike is a 2009 iron. Do you think my bike would take the same exact kit you bought? It's the Harley rally tom. In Milwaukee and want to see what else there is for options but want to read up on the shocks you got. Thanks!

Yes, it will fit on your 2009 no problem. Mine was a 2014 (I sold it for my Indian), but this is the kit I bought (BTW, Ohlins is probably the best suspension you can get for any bike, hands down): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LWQML1W/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Great, thanks! @Chris Will i need any special tools to Install? Dave hasn't done much bike mechanics and I've done zero. If it calls for any bike specific gadgets we might be screwed, or be shopping for that also.

@Chris also, Are those just the front shocks? What about the rear?

Those are the rears. For the front, since Ohlins doesn't make a fork cartridge kit, I went with the Progressive cartridges:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B3PBEMS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

That setup will transform your bike, I'm not even kidding. You'll be blown away how well it handles and rides. You don't need any special tools to install this stuff. However, I do recommend once they are installed, that you find a performance motorcycle shop who has experience in suspension setups. They'll charge you about $60, but they'll spend 30 minutes dialing in all the settings such as sag, compression, rebound, etc. Even with as much as I know, I leave the settings to the pros, because they know their suspension in-and-out.

Reactions: Kathy