Sayings that have stuck with you in life

Grampa used to tell me, "Its not the arrow, its the Indian." (meaning don't blame the equipment)

Couple favorites I use at work that I've picked up over the years...

There's never time to do it right, but there is always time to do it twice
Hope is not a plan

And from our friend Benjamin Franklin...

"A man who is good at making excuses, is rarely good at anything else."

Reactions: Matt77 and mots
"It takes longer than it takes"
- My Dad used to say this as he was well versed in Murphy's Law. He lead several large organizations during his career and saw it again and again. Now I have several people at work saying this. We use it mostly when managers try to oversimplify the complex technical solutions they don't fully understand (and then try to push for lower estimates and earlier release dates). I've known a lot of project managers in my day with fancy titles and certifications (PMP etc.), but very few of them ever practice what they have been taught. Most still try to do "right to left" scheduling (come up with the delivery date the customer wants and then try to make the estimates fit). If I had a $1 every time I was proven right after warning a PM they were playing with fire, I would have been able to afford a LJ Rubicon instead of a TJ X as my fun weekend car, LOL.

And to build on Murphys law, anything that can wrong will go wrong.

Reactions: Matt77 and mots
Here are a few more profound ones that I had bookmarked. I always thought they were point on, even as our society sits today:

When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it. — Frederic Bastiat

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. – Stephen Hawking

Truth has to be repeated constantly, because Error also is being preached all the time, and not just by a few, but by the multitude. In the Press and Encyclopedias, in Schools and Universities, everywhere Error holds sway, feeling happy and comfortable in the knowledge of having Majority on its side. –Goethe

Fear can only prevail when victims are ignorant of the facts. – Thomas Jefferson

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored – Aldous Huxley

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. – Benjamin Franklin

Several from my Dad, who always had a saying to fit any situation:

"Your anger is your problem."

"If you don't like the way it works, build your own or learn to fix it."

When things weren't going my way: "Take a moment and figure out what you can learn from this."

And my personal favorites: "Lucky that (fill in the blank) hit you in the head, otherwise it might have hurt you", often preceded by: "Leading with your face again, boy?"

Reactions: skrelnik