Scam or no?

tworley

Ignored :(
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
A few exhanges with a fellow on craigslist. Seems “ok” until his last message. I know this isn’t for his granddaughter....

Have you got on the phone with him ?
$650 for a hard top I think you’ll definitely have more buyers if your pass on him.

I have it listed for 900 around here. But I am tempted by a quick sale. I have not spoke to him via phone. All correspondence is what you see above

Just my 2¢, whenever my wife or I buy or sell anything from CL we never give out our address or phone number. We meet in a public place for the exchange. There are just too many scammers and straight out criminals on there. Don’t let him give you a sob story that makes you compromise your safety or your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t list my phone phone number, I don’t want him at my house either. And I guarantee it’s not for his granddaughter.

Just my 2¢, whenever my wife or I buy or sell anything from CL we never give out our address or phone number. We meet in a public place for the exchange. There are just too many scammers and straight out criminals on there. Don’t let him give you a sob story that makes you compromise your safety or your money.

Same here, I will meet at the mall and I have a secondary email for those sites, and I pay to use an app to disguise my cell phone number, sideline is the app.

To OP, that doesn't sound like a scam, I would call him to set up a place to meet. Since this is a hardtop, kind of bulky, how did you plan to move it...or did you plan on having someone come to your house?

A quick and safe sale is well worth a slight discount.

And take a gun with you.

I didn’t list my phone phone number, I don’t want him at my house either. And I guarantee it’s not for his granddaughter.

Why? I recently sold my softtop to a guy from craigslist who said it was for his daughter because his daughters softtop burned when it was in storage over the summer.

Nothing screams scam to me. You can get a temporary number from google voice if your uncomfortable providing your number. I usually ask them for their number and type it into google. You can learn a lot from a phone number.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Doesn’t seem like a scam to me. I’ve never seen a scammer offer cash.

If you’re willing to take $650, which I wouldn’t in DENVER in the middle of winter, during tax season I’d just meet him at a target or something. The tough part of selling a hardtop is moving it if he isn’t bringing a Jeep to put it on or a trailer.

Doesn't seem like a scam to me... not if he's willing to meet you in person.

I say let him come over, and just make sure you don't take anything other than cash.

Get more details from him via email. Ask him how he intends to pay and move the top. Is he bringing a friend. Did he confirm if this is the right model year. Craigslist scammers don’t usually have those details and will crack if he is.

I would just provide your address and meeting location via a phone call. Doesn’t look fishy to me. He didn’t ask to send cashiers check and want it delivered hahaha

Alls good. The last message threw me a bit is all, can’t be to careful these days. I got his number, we talked and met at a place down the road. It really was an older gentleman who just struggled with email. Time to throw my soft top back on!

Alls good. The last message threw me a bit is all, can’t be to careful these days. I got his number, we talked and met at a place down the road. It really was an older gentleman who just struggled with email. Time to throw my soft top back on!

I'm so tempted to sell my hardtop. It really is just a waste of space for my scenario.

I'm so tempted to sell my hardtop. It really is just a waste of space for my scenario.

It was nice to have this winter, but in the summer I run a safari top and I have no where to store it at my house. I think I’m better off without it keeping my soft top for the rest of winter.

Reactions: MaloStapalo