School me on fuel cells

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire...............
Staff Member
Supporting Member
When I started my thinking about redoing my TJ I dead set on using a GenRight tank in the frame. I currently have a 24.5 gal GenRight tank but want to stretch my WB a little so it will have to go.

IMGP0251.jpg

IMGP0260.jpg

As you can see my CRD60 is pretty close already.

So Blaine has said when he stretches a Jeep he moves the tank to inside the tub. I wasn't to thrilled on this idea but a lot of that was from me having my daughter in the back seat. That isn't the case any longer so I am trying to open my mind to other ideas. Not saying I will decide to go with a fuel cell but I would like to at least learn more about them. I have found one company that makes a 19 gallon fuel cell that will fit into a TJ.

https://www.motobilt.com/product/je...9_gallon_package_97_06_wrangler_tjtj_unlimite
But I have questions, Do you fill it at the cell or do you have a remote filler like some of the race trucks?

https://www.motobilt.com/product/remote_fuel_cell_filler_mount
I remember reading some where that why weren't street legal, is this correct? What are the laws concerning fuel cells? I know even with a normal fuel tank you can get fuel starvation if you're leaned to one side or on a steep climb or decent. Is this more of an issue with a fuel cell? This cell reuses the stock TJ fuel sender/pump so I know I'll have to extend my fuel lines. Anything else?

I only run a bikini/safari top so that shouldn't be a issue. I run a rear duster also so I might have to get it modified with a fuel door like on my Wildcat cover. I really know nothing about fuel cells.

1 drop of gasoline can make someone sick to their stomach, I wound up designing and building an airplane valve because I got 1 drop in the cockpit over a 2 day period and it would just about gag me, even with the windows open and flying at 80 miles per hour.

Reactions: EzPeezy
It opens up all kinds of stuff if I do go with a fuel cell. I can back half the TJ which makes more room for shocks and other stuff. I'd have to figure out my coil spring mounts but oaky.

Reactions: Gaspaszr
I would try to avoid a fuel cell if you can. If you do need a fuel cell know that a lot of them crack. Placing a fuel filler on the outside of a TJ with a top is difficult.

I haven't gotten to that part of my build yet, but as of now I am planning on making a custom tank so I can place a filler on the outside. It's going to be a pain and I'm going to have to do lots of testing to see what angles I can get away with on the neck to make sure it flows. With a 11" fuel pump there is a little room to play with for the filler.

It opens up all kinds of stuff if I do go with a fuel cell. I can back half the TJ which makes more room for shocks and other stuff. I'd have to figure out my coil spring mounts but oaky.
Motobilt, Bluetorch, and Artec back half kits are solutions meant for ORI struts or coilovers requirements not the factory style coil spring setup. back half kits are a solution to one tons, links, and a rear stretch. I would say that a backhalf kit is not the right solution for you and your Jeep.

When I started my thinking about redoing my TJ I dead set on using a GenRight tank in the frame. I currently have a 24.5 gal GenRight tank but want to stretch my WB a little so it will have to go.

So Blaine has said when he stretches a Jeep he moves the tank to inside the tub. I wasn't to thrilled on this idea but a lot of that was from me having my daughter in the back seat. That isn't the case any longer so I am trying to open my mind to other ideas.
Going off your OP, "a little" stetch would really be fulfilled by any one of the Genright stretch tanks. Your CRD60 will be happy in front of their alien tank which can accommodate an 8'' stretch. you failed to include how much stretch y ou are moving to... Genright also offers two other stretch models, for less stretch, the standard COMP model for a 7" stretch or the EXT model for up to 5" of stretch.

https://genright.com/products/jeep-tj-lj-crawler-alien-gas-tank-skid-plate-11-gal.html

Genright also provides a soltution for outside the tub filling with their stretch tanks. They utilize a YJ filler bezel for a clean and seamless install yet also allows for a wheelbase stretch. It looks OEM.
BezelOnGSTJ__72380.1494262279.1280.1280.jpg

https://genright.com/products/stretched-jeep-tj-gas-filler-bezel.html

IMO, the Motobilt behind the seat fuel cell and mount is the best soution for an in-cab fuel cell that results in a clean install and allows you to keep your back seat. Note: to fill this tank, you would fill the tank from the inside of the tub. This can be done by opening the tailgate and opening the rear window. This will result in a gas smell lingering. See my Coopinger Cove Trail photos thread for some pics of a YJ with an in-cab fuel cell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ephry73
I know even with a normal fuel tank you can get fuel starvation if you're leaned to one side or on a steep climb or decent. Is this more of an issue with a fuel cell?

Holley provides solutions for fuel starvation issues. Have you experienced this first hand?

A little digging in the right places and you would have landed on somehting like this from Holley.
Holley makes Hydramats in all kinds of lengths and layouts.
16-102orner2ren.jpg16-105.jpg

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/hydramats/parts/16-105
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/hydramats/parts/16-102

I guess I wasn't searching in the correct spots.

The back half kit was more a typing before thinking post. Even if I keep the stock frame and run a fuel cell I can move the axle back more. I know I have been bouncing around on ideas and a lot of it was because a month ago I wouldn't entertain the idea of running a fuel cell. Now I am thinking maybe it isn't such a bad idea. I'm not going to be running a back seat anymore so I have room in the back. The only thing I want to keep is the storage box I have back there. It only allows 10 1/2" under it but I could put the cell in front of it. I also don't run a top so no windows to open just a duster to open. Or I could get a fuel door installed like on my SXS cover or snowmobile covers I use to have.

And I was thinking of doing crazy things to my TJ that I'm not so sure I want to tackle now.
What I do know is that I would like to push the axle as far back as I can while not comp cutting the back. I've never really liked that look. From what Blaine has explained to me while the GenRight tanks are good they will not allow as much stretch as it seems. So if I don't have a tank in the back there isn't anything keeping my axle from going back as far as I can. And once I get really started on it who knows what I will decide. I'd like to try get as much figured out now before I buy parts that I won't need.

I don't like this undecided part. I need to just figure it all out and then go with it.

My basic ideas are to stretch the rear as much as I can and maybe try to stretch the front if I can.
Take all my steel armor off and replace with aluminum.
3 & 4 link the suspension. I'd like to use the Savvy mid arm kit but that is yet to be seen.
Of course finish rebuilding my new engine.

I've read so many ideas and I was trying to work them into my TJ but then I got overwhelmed. So I got a little crazy and scatter brained. So now I am trying to be more practical.

Reactions: JMT
From what Blaine has explained to me while the GenRight tanks are good they will not allow as much stretch as it seems. So if I don't have a tank in the back there isn't anything keeping my axle from going back as far as I can.
I’ll let @mrblaine speak for himself, maybe we are missing some critical context that he might add-in. Your overall wheelbase should match your tire size. So what size tire are you looking to go to? These things need to be figured out first and foremost. What Wheelbase are you trying to achieve and what belly height do you want? The answers will determine what direction your build goes. Change one answer and it could affect another. Correct me if I am wrong in that build thought process @mrblaine
Not saying he is wrong but both these Jeeps are utilizing a rear stretch and one even required comp cutting, yet they both utilize genright underbody, stock in-frame mounting Genright stretch tanks.
7EA78FA2-FE3B-495D-A550-CAEB1B8C495A.jpeg
FBFCED48-9BE7-4A94-8F89-A9853BE761D7.jpeg

My basic ideas are to stretch the rear as much as I can and maybe try to stretch the front if I can.
So now I am trying to be more practical.
This LJ is running links and a Genright 7 inch stretch tank and no comp cut. You wanna go back more than this in the rear?
A5A0DD3F-F675-4E75-AEEF-1A20A0D62CDB.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and Ephry73
I have TSL SX 38x12.5x16.5 tires right now which measure out to 37" tall. I might go a little taller but I am pretty happy with this size. I won't go taller than 40".

WB depends on who you ask. I've been told with the 37" tall tires I need 102-104" if I remember right. But then GenRight says 100" WB is fine on 40's. I'd like to go back to where I am just cutting the end of my body like the Red LJ.
I'm not saying a GenRight tank isn't a good idea but have been told you're not going to get that full distance they claim. Their 19 gallon tank is they one they are recommending as they said the 23 gal won't worth with the air bags. I don't want to go smaller than 19 gallons.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I currently have the GenRight 5” stretch kit with 19 gallon tank along with the 4-link and outboarded shocks on the rear of my TJ. I’m running 37” tires a Currie 60 rear axle. Been this way for quite a few years now. I have the Rubicon express front long arms still and my wheelbase is exactly 99.75”. I am getting ready to stretch the front end 3” - 4” with a kit similar to the TNT customs kit however I will rotate the steering box a little higher and Im debating getting rid of the springs at that time for ORI’s and a 3 link. It will basically boil down to how long I want to be down for the build process. I’m thinking that 103” will be awesome until I no longer need the use of the rear seat for the occasional kid wanting to tag along. As soon as that happens I will go full widths and a back half kit and fuel cell and stretch the rear out to make it between 107-109” on 40-42” tires I’m guessing.

55DBC918-89D3-44A9-BDC5-C261D9F7B564.jpeg

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I have the Goatbuilt cell in mine. Uses a stock GM fuel pump. But my Jeep is always open, no enclosed top.

I would try to keep the tank under the rig, or at least sunk in partway with a cover built to keep it out of the enclosed cab.

16c7c4091fa66e4472ee308173395072.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. Lots of stuff to consider and figure out. I appreciate all the input.

I have the Goatbuilt cell in mine. Uses a stock GM fuel pump. But my Jeep is always open, no enclosed top.

I would try to keep the tank under the rig, or at least sunk in partway with a cover built to keep it out of the enclosed cab.

View attachment 86174

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Bypass and CO? Badass