School me on mid-arm vs long-arm

Well then I guess that I won't be winning KOH or becoming Ride of the Month then :rolleyes:. How dare I think that I can build my own system and not just buy the best one out there!!!

Do you understand what the difference is?

Well then I guess that I won't be winning KOH or becoming Ride of the Month then :rolleyes:. How dare I think that I can build my own system and not just buy the best one out there!!!
No offense, I’m all for creativity but why reinvent the wheel especially one that is proven?

Reactions: Rick Flair
Don't let them get to you. Haters gonna hate. The project you are about to undertake is pretty massive. My advice is take your time, tac things in place and cycle everything, problems will present themselves, and there WILL be problems. Fix accordingly. tac in place again and cycle again. repeat. Do not get in a hurry. Mostly have fun with it, and keep the mindset that its okay to cut the whole thing off and start again. If you wanted easy just buy the savvy kit and be done with it. remember a few posts back before I sent this tread on the suspension frequency tangent? Roll steer? that's why those brackets are not ideal. There will be lots of compromises because they were not made for a TJ. Your 4 link calculator will likely have Roll Steer figured in. Do you know what rear steer is? If not, no big deal, something else to research. You're probably better off making your own brackets. When you are all done, you will have something special. It's not going to be as good as the Savvy mid-arm, but it will be something you can be proud of. If you are good with this reality, then full speed ahead.
Looking forward to seeing what you build.

Let us not forget what Socratic questioning got Socrates.

o_O
091b246c30f6dc66b3c9772ce90dd7da_XL-1.jpg

I know what that is. Not gonna fool me.

Don't let them get to you. Haters gonna hate. The project you are about to undertake is pretty massive. My advice is take your time, tac things in place and cycle everything, problems will present themselves, and there WILL be problems. Fix accordingly. tac in place again and cycle again. repeat. Do not get in a hurry. Mostly have fun with it, and keep the mindset that its okay to cut the whole thing off and start again. If you wanted easy just buy the savvy kit and be done with it. remember a few posts back before I sent this tread on the suspension frequency tangent? Roll steer? that's why those brackets are not ideal. There will be lots of compromises because they were not made for a TJ. Your 4 link calculator will likely have Roll Steer figured in. Do you know what rear steer is? If not, no big deal, something else to research. You're probably better off making your own brackets. When you are all done, you will have something special. It's not going to be as good as the Savvy mid-arm, but it will be something you can be proud of. If you are good with this reality, then full speed ahead.
Looking forward to seeing what you build.

Nice to see that there are folks on here that are reasonable and not running around trying to prove that they are the smartest with every post. I really don't care what he says. I have been building shit-boxes since before he knew which way was up. I am 100% aware that I'm not a race truck fabricator but I have built and driven well over 20 trucks to and on the Rubicon, Fordyce, Moonrocks, JV and a few other spots between here and there. None have won any competitions but every one has been fun. This one will probably hop a little on climbs and maybe it will be a little unstable on side-hills but that's what wheeling is. I've laid trucks on their side and rolled them over and then cut the roof off and driven home wearing ski goggles. I'm a little older now and a little wiser but I'm still down for a good time.

That being said, this place is clearly not for me. Blaine is the man and Jerry has a picture of himself hi-centered. Have fun with your discussions, guys. I'm out. I've got work to do.

Nice to see that there are folks on here that are reasonable and not running around trying to prove that they are the smartest with every post. I really don't care what he says. I have been building shit-boxes since before he knew which way was up. I am 100% aware that I'm not a race truck fabricator but I have built and driven well over 20 trucks to and on the Rubicon, Fordyce, Moonrocks, JV and a few other spots between here and there. None have won any competitions but every one has been fun. This one will probably hop a little on climbs and maybe it will be a little unstable on side-hills but that's what wheeling is. I've laid trucks on their side and rolled them over and then cut the roof off and driven home wearing ski goggles. I'm a little older now and a little wiser but I'm still down for a good time.

That being said, this place is clearly not for me. Blaine is the man and Jerry has a picture of himself hi-centered. Have fun with your discussions, guys. I'm out. I've got work to do.

Don't forget that you are the one who wanted to know the differences, old man.

I, for one, will be sorry if @Rock Toy goes. He asked some good questions and I learned something about spring frequency in the short time he has been a member.

Sometimes, forums or the internet is t for everyone. I’ve seen people come and go over the years and sometimes you bounce until you find “home”. I took a 10 year break from forums and any form of social media, it did me good.

I too learned some good thing here and had nothing to provide to this discussion.
Best of luck @Rock Toy, you sound like an interesting guy who has done some things. 👍👊

Sometimes, forums or the internet is t for everyone. I’ve seen people come and go over the years and sometimes you bounce until you find “home”. I took a 10 year break from forums and any form of social media, it did me good.

I too learned some good thing here and had nothing to provide to this discussion.
Best of luck @Rock Toy, you sound like an interesting guy who has done some things. 👍👊
Wouldn’t survive on pirate :ROFLMAO: Sad to see you go man @Rock Toy

• Haha
Reactions: Rick Flair
Have fun with your discussions, guys. I'm out. I've got work to do.

No reason to run off. This place has some great people and great info. I've been on jeepforum, wranglerforum, pirate, etc. None can hold a candle to the volume of info and level of interaction here.
Lots of different personalities here. The internet isn't always the best way to determine someone's true personality or tone in the way they speak.
I read, absorb, research, and question what I want to take away from here. If I like what I hear I go forward. If not, it's no big deal, I'll do more research. At the end of the day, it's my Jeep, my build, and my money.

When you get done, provide a build update

From what I've read and understood on this topic, suspension frequency is how fast the suspension travels up and then back down to the same point when you drive over a bump. If our Jeeps did not have shocks, the springs would continue to bounce up and down at this rate for quite some time.

The suspension frequency for each corner is your standard classic spring equation, f = 1/2pi *sqrt(k/M), where k is the spring rate and M is the total sprung mass in that corner, which is calculated as half the axle weight minus some calculated amount for unsprung mass (wheels, tires, suspension components ...). I would assume you want this number to be even left to right and front to back unless you have a special case vehicle.

To give perspective, passenger cars today have that number less than or around 1Hz. High speed race cars (think F1) that generate a lot of downforce will be around 5Hz. That's a five fold difference.

It is not clear to me how perceivable the difference in front vs rear susp frequencies in an hypothetical Jeep with different springs (and same shocks) will be. But, us humans are surprisingly sensitive to some things and I would not be surprised if you can feel (but not clearly explain) a difference like that. It might come out as just an uneven feeling ride. The springs we choose will very much have an impact. Shocks complicate things quite a bit on top. I think Currie knows about this much more than we do.

@Mike_H may know more than I do. Did I say anything incorrect here, Mike?
No, you are correct... Well, I don't know about the passenger car vs the F1 bit.

In my opinion spring frequency on our wranglers might be a fun discussion, but it's purely academic. The suspension on a Jeep is very complicated. When you hit a bump, what happens? First the tires compress (they have a natural frequency too) and absorb some energy. (That's why lower tire pressures are recommended as a fix to a harsh ride). The force then transfers to the spring. The spring compresses and absorbs most of the rest of the force. We also have force transmission through the control arm joints (remember that discussion?) and finally into the seat where you feel whatever is left in your rear end.

That's the simple version. When you realize that even the steel of the frame and axle absorb that force, compress and rebound, just like a spring (albeit on a much smaller scale), the whole system is very complex and nearly impossible to model.

So... What is the frequency of a spring? It really doesn't matter... Because you can always add a damper to control that frequency.