Scouting for Elk

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Heading out to do some more scouting for Elk. Last weekend was a complete bust. Zero, zip, nada. Did see some impressive Bear sign though, which would explain the lack of Elk sign.

Oldest daughter just texted and gave us the weather for tomorrow. 4-6" of rain and 20-40 mph winds. Oh joy. It's going to be so much fun up in the tall timber tomorrow.

They didn't seem to mind us on our Lost Coast run a couple years ago.
e7bf31a4cd2993a42ee664cb52103af5.jpg

Good luck! We saw some bombers in Idaho. Unfortunately, never could get close enough for an arrow. :(
Thanks! It'll be a challenge to be sure.
I can't even imagine trying to down one of those monsters with an arrow!
Most of the young guys have gone to archery. Seems to work OK for them. One of my buddies at work did loose a 4 point this season though.

Last edited:
It was a partially successful scouting trip for Elk on Saturday. We found the herd, well, a herd. Saw a bunch of cows and this years calves. The weather was great for scouting. It was raining like stink, the wind was blowing and nothing much was moving. The herds were all hunkered down in the creek bottoms in the pucker brush. That's good, because then you don't spook them by moving around, and with all the natural noises they don't have much of a chance to hear or smell you.

Tillamook and Nehalem flooded, and there were landslides and downed trees all over the place. A good section of power line came down in Moore's Valley.

Some asshat in a bro-dozer was up in the hills running the trails deer hunting (Road Hunting?) and I put the SE over on it's side dodging his stupid ass. No damage, but it took a few minutes to get that mess straightened out. I sure wish people who drove those monster sized pickups would figure it out.

Got into some new territory closer to the coast and the machete came in handy. Lots of brush growing over the trails. Thick and gnarly. Banged my gas tank skid on a downed tree crossing it, but that's what a skid is for. Right? I would still like gears and lockers. That hasn't changed. The trails in the coast range are just snotty, lumpy and steep every time we get a little rain around here.

Elk season is looking up! Thanks for all the motivational pictures folks!

Reactions: MikeM and Head Lice
Sorry for the mishap but good that the elk season is looking up!
It wasn't really a mishap, per se, it was more of an opportunity to show off my driving skills. The TJ laid over on it's tires against the hillside in the ditch. Two wheels on the edge of the road and two in the ditch. ("road" - ditch - hillside covered in moss and ferns) The wife didn't even squeak this time! She tends to make noises when the Jeep tilts more than she is comfortable with. 4lo, turn the front wheels up the hillside and back the Jeep onto the road. Took two tries though. Asshat in Bro-dozer didn't stop to see if I needed help getting out. I didn't, but still. That's just courtesy. Some people's children.

Twenty four Roosevelt elk seen this morning ...... four bulls, largest was a nice 6x6.
Big breeder bulls are all done and are off by themselves ..... trying to get some weight back on for the coming winter season. They are very hard to find right now.
No open season here ..... all are by lottery permit (LEH) ....

Reactions: StG58
Twenty four Roosevelt elk seen this morning ...... four bulls, largest was a nice 6x6.
Big breeder bulls are all done and are off by themselves ..... trying to get some weight back on for the coming winter season. They are very hard to find right now.
No open season here ..... all are by lottery permit (LEH) ....
24, wow, that's a pretty decent sized herd around here. I don't get what's happening this year. I know that Elk move around a lot, and can easily travel a fair distance, but all of the old hangouts are just empty. The game trails are covered in leaves and fir needles, no tracks, no sign, no rubs. The usual wallows are just mud puddles. Oh well, they went somewhere. Son-in-law spotted some cows when he was out Deer hunting a couple of weekends ago. We're going to hunt that area on opening day. He and the Daughter will get set up on the ridge over a nice bowl and wife and I will see if we can drift them out of the creek bottom they seem to be hanging out in.

Reactions: Head Lice