Scrat 2.5 to Scrat Limited 5.9

So I finally got it everything dialed in. Transmission and engine. I have been driving it to work everyday. But today I had to go get a hard top that was 75 miles away down the interstate. The test was on. I drove 80 to 85 mph most of the way there and back with more throttle in reserve LOL. The highest transmission temperature was 165, engine oil pressure while driving stays at 40 psi but after being warm at idle it is still 20 psi. my engine temp stayed right at 190. This is what I was building my jeep for, everyday use to go wherever I want.

The top is not going to stay on all year but for 500 bucks and no chips or cracks It is an awesome find!

20230406_094701.jpg

My only issue is my fuel mileage LOL

My only issue is my fuel mileage LOL

Nice score on the top.

What kind of fuel mileage are you getting? In the JF thread some that had the 5.9 were claiming they were getting close to 20 MPG. I got around 13-14 MPG with my 5.2 when I could keep my foot out of floor.

So after checking it, it is not as bad as I thought. I confirmed my milage gauge between the road side mile markers. When I travel 1 mile my gauge indicates 1.1 distanced traveled. At 147 miles indicated on my gauge my low fuel light comes on. Both times I put exactly 9 gallons of gas to reach a full tank of 19 gallons. At 147 miles indicated I divided that by 1.1 which gives me 133.63 miles actually traveled. I divided that by 9 gallons a d I get 14.85 mpg. Not bad i guess. It is about the same as what I was getting with the 4 angry squirells. But now way cooler.... I will keep checking this to verify it.

So after checking it, it is not as bad as I thought. I confirmed my milage gauge between the road side mile markers. When I travel 1 mile my gauge indicates 1.1 distanced traveled. At 147 miles indicated on my gauge my low fuel light comes on. Both times I put exactly 9 gallons of gas to reach a full tank of 19 gallons. At 147 miles indicated I divided that by 1.1 which gives me 133.63 miles actually traveled. I divided that by 9 gallons a d I get 14.85 mpg. Not bad i guess. It is about the same as what I was getting with the 4 angry squirells. But now way cooler.... I will keep checking this to verify it.

And how much do you have your foot in the floor?

Almost 15 MPG isn't bad IMO.

That was just todays milage on my trip. At 85 mph I am at 2700 rpms. I almost hit 90 a time or two and it was 2900 rpms. There is more in it. I will try to fill up next time and try to keep it to normal driving LOL. Yeah right!

• Love
Reactions: Wildman
That was just todays milage on my trip. At 85 mph I am at 2700 rpms. I almost hit 90 a time or two and it was 2900 rpms. There is more in it. I will try to fill up next time and try to keep it to normal driving LOL. Yeah right!

I think with 35" tires & 5.13 gears I was around 2800 RPM's at 70 MPH but I never drove my Jeep on the road much.

Reactions: Paparock1
somewhere along the lines my figures were wrong as I ran out of gas lol. after multiple fill ups and figures I now believe that I get 12.64 mpg.

I have a question: My down stream O2 sensor, should it be hooked up or not?
I removed the cat and put a straight pipe in. I obviously have the up stream O2 sensor in place but the down stream O2 sensor I have temporarily just zip tied it to the heat shield next to the muffler. I am not opposed to running a cat I just haven't gotten that far yet. There is no inspection in the area I live. I know what the law says. I just didn't know if me having the O2 sensor just zip tied there was either helping or hurting or even doing nothing for my fuel economy.

I have read the FSM and understand the basic function of the up and down stream O2 sensors.

other than that it is very fun to drive!

somewhere along the lines my figures were wrong as I ran out of gas lol. after multiple fill ups and figures I now believe that I get 12.64 mpg.

I have a question: My down stream O2 sensor, should it be hooked up or not?
I removed the cat and put a straight pipe in. I obviously have the up stream O2 sensor in place but the down stream O2 sensor I have temporarily just zip tied it to the heat shield next to the muffler. I am not opposed to running a cat I just haven't gotten that far yet. There is no inspection in the area I live. I know what the law says. I just didn't know if me having the O2 sensor just zip tied there was either helping or hurting or even doing nothing for my fuel economy.

I have read the FSM and understand the basic function of the up and down stream O2 sensors.

other than that it is very fun to drive!

The down stream O2 sensor has no impact on the performance of the engine. It is only there the validate the function of the lower cat.

Thank you

the FSM does say that it adjusts the injector pulses from the comparison from the up and lower O2 sensors to maintain oxygen in the CAT. I just didnt know if it would be possible running rich or lean due to my configuration. Again that is at speed and not at idle when the down stream is monitored if I understand it correctly?

Thank you

the FSM does say that it adjusts the injector pulses from the comparison from the up and lower O2 sensors to maintain oxygen in the CAT. I just didnt know if it would be possible running rich or lean due to my configuration. Again that is at speed and not at idle when the down stream is monitored if I understand it correctly?

Good info - interesting.

I can't say 100% but everything I've read from comments online by others who have removed the down stream O2 say it hasn't affected things.

My 97 Ramn truck doesn't have a down stream O2. I honestly haven't paid attention to what my fuel mileage is. But I do think 12.64 MPG is a little low. I'll check my trucks mileage next time I fill up and let you know.

It wasn't like I was standing on it when power breaking. but I did let it spin for a second or two. I got home just fine. I was headed to work on Monday and just got onto the 4 lane when I gave it some pedal to go around a car. I was actually just thinking as I was coming out of my driveway that this 35 is stronger than I thought LOL
well the Dana 44HD out of the Grand Cherokee is now a priority

View attachment 423403

View attachment 423405

I haven't even been off road yet. However the power breaking the other night was not the best idea

WOW I've seen a few broken Dana 35's but this the best one I've seen.

It wasn't like I was standing on it when power breaking. but I did let it spin for a second or two. I got home just fine. I was headed to work on Monday and just got onto the 4 lane when I gave it some pedal to go around a car. I was actually just thinking as I was coming out of my driveway that this 35 is stronger than I thought LOL
well the Dana 44HD out of the Grand Cherokee is now a priority

The Dana44HD is an aluminum center section. So if you need parts for it make sure you verify that it fits that model.

WOW I've seen a few broken Dana 35's but this the best one I've seen.
I am sure it wasn't that bad when it first happened. I think a spider gear came out as it just came to a stop and making grinding sounds as the driveshaft turned. I initially thought oh no my transmission, but then I put it in 4 high and it pulled right off the road and all the gears worked. I drove it home a few miles in 4 high with it making noise. so I believe the damage got worse as I could hear it grinding lol.

I'd told you that I would watch my fuel mileage in my truck. I don't drive it much so it took a while for me to go through a tank.
My last MPG on a 1997 Ram 1500 with a 5.2 V-8 with 270,000 miles on it was 13.6. That was in town and freeway driving.

Thank you, that is about where my jeep is at. I think I keep my foot in it still because it is new and fun.

once I get it back on the road I think I will install a bung onto the straight pipe and run it for a while to see if it makes much if any difference.

I have a dana 44 I am putting together. I got the axle and a rebuilt limited slip carrier for 400 bucks. The axle came with the shafts and backing plates for drum brakes. I bought a master rebuild kit for it and axle bearing kits. I bought a new never installed G2 4.56 ring gear and pinion for the dana 44 from a guy on FB for 100 dollars.
I am going to try to see if My jeep grand Cherokee disk breaks will work on this axle. Not that I think disk breaks are better but because I would need to buy all hardware and breaks for the drums anyway I might as well go disk breaks as it will be cheaper since I have them.