Scrat 2.5 to Scrat Limited 5.9

Paparock1

Angry SE
Supporting Member
new wheels1.jpg
I bought Scrat 4
years ago, 2.5L, AX5. One year later AX5 was toast; without me ever taking it off road. I didnt have the funds at the time so I went with a remanufactured AX5. well 3 years later and 2nd gear snychro is toast and I have been easy on this transmission. I quick shifted it the other day 1 time while crossing a busy intersection and that was all that it took 😠!

After much research and actually searching I bought a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited 5.9L, 46re, 242J. 🤩
limited.jpg

Today It has begun!!!
2.5 bye bye.jpg

Let the shinanigans begin!
13c885530f96eefac800b90261a3022c.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 303888I bought the Scrat almost 5 years ago, 2.5L, AX5. One year later AX5 was toast; without me ever taking it off road. I didnt have the funds at the time so I went with a remanufactured AX5. well 3 years later and 2nd gear snychro is toast and I have been easy on this transmission. I quick shifted it the other day 1 time while crossing a busy intersection and that was all that it took 😠!

After much research and actually searching I bought a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited 5.9L, 46re, 242J. 🤩
View attachment 303890

Today It has begun!!!
View attachment 303891

Let the shinanigans begin!
View attachment 303892

OK not fair... We need MORE info.

Great find and good choice for the donor engine/transmission. That Grand Cherokee looks to be in pretty rough shape. Normally I'd complain about you cutting up such a rare rig but I think that GC was on it's last leg.

Did you do anything to the engine or transmission? Or just taking it out and swapping it in? Are you going to keep the 242 or go with a 231?

Reactions: DougyintheBushies
I was in a hurry to post before I had to leave for work.

The limited was a trail truck and the guy is now getting into motorcycles so he was selling it. It runs pretty good. needs basic tuneup and I think I will do the plenum but not much else initially. It started right up for me after sitting in my yard for three weeks.

I want to use the 242 but I really havent decided yet. The 46 re that is in the jeep currently only drives in reverse and when you shift into low gear. It came with another tranmission that the guy said he pulled it out of a running Cherokee. so my first priority is ensuring a good 46re.

I drive my Jeep everyday so its not a hardcore wheeler. I just want to be able to drive up the interstate and hang with traffice so I can meet up with Andy G and the guys up there in North Alabama that wheel some fun looking trails.

after it is running:
my Dana 30 driver side axle tube is shifting in the pumpkin so I will use the GC dana 30. It already has a ausie locker and upgraded shafts in it.
I have read all the pros and cons of the 44HD and for what I do I know it will work for me.
the only thing I might do is to rear gear. I currently have 4.56 gears.

I think the gas and brake pedals will swap and I might even swap the leather wrapped brake handle and gear shift just to keep some of the limited stuff alive if that makes since.

anyway I am open to advice and will ask questions as needed.

Reactions: Wildman
You want to do the plenum gasket while you have the engine out. It's tons easier to swap it all out when the engine is out of either vehicle. Believe me I did mine while it was installed in my TJ and it's not a lot of fun.

Here are a few TSB's on the magnum V-8.

Make sure that the other transmission he gave you is a 46RE since the 98 GC was the only year to get the 5.9 & 46RE. The NICE part of having a Jeep transmission over a Dodge transmission is that the starter is on the passenger side in the Jeep version.

Hughes Engines is one of the few Dodge engine shops left. He sells a plenum kit for them.

https://www.hughesengines.com/Index...U21hbGwgQmxvY2sgRG9kZ2UgTWFnbnVt&partid=30712
Yes the 44A should be OK for what you want to do.

Attachments

• Spark Plug TSB.pdf
    216.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Spark Knock TSB.pdf
    206.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Oil Consumption TSB.pdf
    206.8 KB · Views: 143
Reactions: Longwhitejeep
Here is a bunch of files I put together from others who had done the V-8 swap. I have been working on a write-up on how to do this swap but it isn't ready yet. But this shoud help you out.

Attachments

• Engine Swap Wiring Maybe-converted.pdf
    179.9 KB · Views: 174
Reactions: Longwhitejeep
Add a good transmission cooler and power steering cooler as you're doing the swap. You can weld tabs to the V brace in front of your radiator. Also I know people do it but I'd get a engine swap radiator instead of trying to use the stock radiator.

Here is Advanced Adapters install PDF for their motor mounts. IMO they are the way to go.

Attachments

• AA Dodge V8 to TJ motor mount install.pdf
    404.2 KB · Views: 162
Wildman!
Awesome and thank you!
I have read your entire build and all the links you have provided.
I am not sure how far from seattle you are but I am coming to visit my mom and brother Feb 3rd - leaving early morning on the 7th. I know it is a short trip but my mom lives in Issaquha. how far are you from there?

Wildman!
Awesome and thank you!
I have read your entire build and all the links you have provided.
I am not sure how far from seattle you are but I am coming to visit my mom and brother Feb 3rd - leaving early morning on the 7th. I know it is a short trip but my mom lives in Issaquha. how far are you from there?

I'm 93 miles east of Seattle and Issaquah is around 17 miles east of Seattle.

It's really easy to figure out how far away I am as I live just off exit 93 on I-90 going east. It's the Elk Heights exit.

I have those motor mounts, they just arrived the other day.
I guess I have one question already, should I do a body lift?

Yes I think a body lift is a good thing. Give you more room for exhaust plus makes it easier to work on things with the V-8 swap.

If you are thinking about doing it I'd do the raised body mounts at the same time. I have a Savvy body lift that is missing 1 puck for the front mount and then the two side pieces for the front snubbers.
Sell it to ya cheap.

I'd keep the 242 transfer case if it was me. I don't know that having AWD is as important where you live but I'd like to have it. I would get a Tom Woods SYE kit for it.

Reactions: Paparock1
ScRaT.... it must have been in the Scrat’s destiny to have a SRT in him LOL.

a thread was started a while back that asked who had named their jeep. I have the angry eye head light bezels (not grill) so the angry eyed squirrel (2.5L) emerged. As I started looking for avatars Scrat showed up. the name, although silly, well it warmed up to me. I am thinking of adding just two simple removable PVC pipes hanging down off my front bumper to replicate fangs. Silly I know but my grandkids would love it!

Anyway, not much has happened. I sold the 2.5L to an older man who will be putting it in a 96 Dakota 2WD. I did leave the engine running and installed in the Jeep so potential buyers could see it in all its glory. It paid off as I sold it for asking price.

Currently the limited 5.9 transmission only drives when placed in low and reverse. I want to get that fixed before swapping everything over to the TJ. It will save headache on the other side if I have to trouble shoot my installation. Anybody have any ideas why the 46re would only drive when shifted to low and reverse?

Currently the limited 5.9 transmission only drives when placed in low and reverse. I want to get that fixed before swapping everything over to the TJ. It will save headache on the other side if I have to trouble shoot my installation. Anybody have any ideas why the 46re would only drive when shifted to low and reverse?

Found this:
there was a broken 3-4 accumulator spring and i replaced the governor solenoid and pressure sensor. put a sure cure kit in and a few parts from the 47re that's getting all new internals that I am building for my cummins.

And this:
HAS FIRST/REVERSE ONLY (NO 1-2 OR 2-3 UPSHIFT)
Governor Circuit Electrical Fault.Test using DRB® scan tool and repair as required.
Valve Body Malfunction.Repair stuck 1-2 shift valve or governor plug.
Front Servo/Kickdown Band Damaged/Burned.Repair/replace.
https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/ar...mission-diagnostic-chart-46re-47re-48re-r352/

Wildman thank you again for finding this information. I saved the link. I have been searching but havent came accross this link before, how did you find it?

Wildman thank you again for finding this information. I saved the link. I have been searching but havent came accross this link before, how did you find it?

It's funny I SUCK at searching some information but other times I can find stuff.

I've gotten pretty good at finding stuff on our rigs.

I used "46re troubleshooting guide" and " 46 RE only have 1st & reverse" and came up with this.

The hughes plenum kit arrived today. I will get a timing chain kit, water pump, oil pan gasket and oil pump is what I think I would like to do before installing.

I have been looking at this shift reprograming kit: https://transgo.com/product-details/tfre-pro/
going to do a governer solenoid and transducer kit as well
Anyone have anything to add?

Sounds good. Are you planning on running headers or stock manifold? It comes down to how much performance do you want?

Once you have it running I would seriously look at getting a tune from Flying Ryan Performance or HemiFever or UTA. Even on a stock rig it's an improvement over stock.
If you're going to run stock exhaust manifolds you should look at getting some 92-93 manifolds as they have a larger outlet than stock.

a Little progress today. 1" body lift installed. I have all the transmission valve body parts and shift kit I was wanting. that will be next. Sometime this week I think