Scratching sound coming from clutch

LJDC

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have started hearing a sound when the clutch is fully engaged (pedal not depressed). It only starts just as the pedal comes all the way up. It sounds like a piece of metal touching something that is spinning. I can hear it whether or not I am pressing the gas.

At cruising speed (40 mph), I can’t really hear it – maybe a faint scratching sound.

Obviously, diagnosis of a problem from a description of a sound isn’t that great. But I hope someone will recognize it a common problem. And, of course, tell me it’s nothing serious. ,)

Your throwout bearing telling you it's time to get serious about replacing it. Might as well do the whole clutch kit while you're in there.

If you do the clutch job yourself, dont have the flywheel resurfaced as it is slightly domed and machining will mill it flat.

Reactions: Superjay5
I have started hearing a sound when the clutch is fully engaged (pedal not depressed). It only starts just as the pedal comes all the way up. It sounds like a piece of metal touching something that is spinning. I can hear it whether or not I am pressing the gas.

At cruising speed (40 mph), I can’t really hear it – maybe a faint scratching sound.

Obviously, diagnosis of a problem from a description of a sound isn’t that great. But I hope someone will recognize it a common problem. And, of course, tell me it’s nothing serious. ,)

Depending upon how much you use your Jeep; the scratchy clutch throwout bearing noise can get worse quickly.
Approximately 10 months ago I had the same problem with the throwout bearing on my '01.
Mine went from a slight scratchy sound to a really nasty grinding sound within a couple months.
When replacing the throwout bearing; purchase a metal cased Timken bearing instead of the using a plastic cased bearing.
You can scuff up the surface of the existing flywheel with crocus cloth or similar product, but I would recommend replacing the flywheel since you already have the transmission removed.
Years ago I tried scuffing up the flywheel to clutch mating surface and would receive periodic chatter when engaging the clutch when the flywheel was hot after long periods of use.
Also recommend using the Luk clutch replacement kit for your year TJ or some forum members have used the Napa replacement parts if Luk is not available.
Since you are driving an '05; make sure you verify the proper flywheel (Luk PN 4160331100) has been ordered and received. There is a difference in the number of CKPS sensing blocks on out circumference of the flywheel between the 97-04 and the 05/06.

I contacted Luk about the metal vs composite TOB debate. They said the failure rate for both is the same, but the damage when the metal one fails is worse.

So my throw out bearing had the typical rattling noise for about 50,000 miles.

Well my Jeep has been under the knife for a little over a year. Started driving it this week, the noise had stopped, then it changed to the scratching sound you described. Shortly after the new noise started I had complete failure of the throw out bearing, it completely came apart.

So good chance you are on borrowed time.

The carnage when pulled the transmission

IMG_3120.jpeg

Thank you everyone. I was offroad and off-the-grid when most responses came in, but I caught a glimpse when I got some service, and I felt much better about the trip.

I’ll post what the result is. No time to take on this project myself. Work is like that. But I really appreciate everyone’s advice.

Reactions: macleanflood