Screaming Yellow Bonkers

This is true. Now this is personal preference, but I'd have to replace the front bumper, the flares, the tires and wheels, and the side steps. That is just what I see in the pics. The price seems decent though if nothing unforeseen is present.
I am right there with you. Not a fan of any of that stuff.

I will post some pictures of the underside when it gets here.

The money you'd get from selling the JK wheels/tires, and the adapters would put a good chunk in getting new/used wheels/tires that are the right bolt pattern, and not so big. IMHO, 15" is the best looking size on the TJ.

Reactions: Mrprez
The money you'd get from selling the JK wheels/tires, and the adapters would put a good chunk in getting new/used wheels/tires that are the right bolt pattern, and not so big. IMHO, 15" is the best looking size on the TJ.
That's the plan. I really would like to take it back to as near stock as possible. (But with better tires).

Reactions: derekmac
That's the plan. I really would like to take it back to as near stock as possible. (But with better tires).
But building it up to 31’s or 32’s with a small lift would be much more fun! I think TJ’s look tiny stock. 😉

Reactions: taylormade73
Just got word that the transport company has picked up the Jeep in Houston and will have it in Knoxville tomorrow.

4AFCC58B-DCDD-48D5-9F84-6E3C30363581.jpeg

Reactions: Jeepers-n-Creepers
Looks clean, not high mileage for the age. Looks mostly stock original too. But $8K seems expensive for a soft top. It looks mighty shinny for 18 year old paint. Whats the drivers seat look like, they cropped the picture so you cannot see the drivers seat bolster. Looks like it might look better than it is.

I am always wary of used car lots.
<8000 $ is expensive? 😳 here in Germany such a Wrangler cost round about 16000$!!! If you want here a LJ Rubicon you must pay over 25000$! Only 3 LJ Rubicon are listet in Germany. This kind is very rare.
We love this last REAL JEEP.

Reactions: Jeepers-n-Creepers
Hey Baton Rouge! I was born there way back in 1952. Gueaux Tigers! Yeah, when I saw this yellow one, I had to have it. I’m surprised it didn’t get stolen out from under me as I was talking to the owner most of the day before I pulled the trigger.

Small world, GEAUX!!!!!! I've been tempted to rhino line my fender flares purple! haha Looks like you got a great Jeep!

1" spacer in the front and 1" BL, then 15" wheels with your 31" AT of choice. BFG KO2 and Goodyear Duratrac are often recommended. Let the fun begin!

So, we went to east Knoxville to meet the driver with the Jeep. I have to say that I was a bit disappointed with the condition. Pictures can be really deceiving. But, it is a 17 year old Jeep.

I did take a good look at the underside and saw no issues at all in the rust department. It was cleaner than our 2013 Toyota FJ. No rust other than some very minor stuff here and there. It was getting too dark for pictures but I will get some tomorrow.

There are a few issues.

1. The engine will not warm up. At all. Barely making 125 degrees or so.
2. Won’t go up hills very well at all. VIN decider shows 373 rears and I will confirm that tomorrow as well. The tires are 265/70R 17s. Supposedly 31.6 tall. Could this be affecting my top speed?
3. The fastest I was able to make it go was about 60. Maybe 65 and that’s on a flat, straight road.
4. No heat. I may not have had it on the right settings though, but I suspect that it is related to #1.
5. The rear bottom corners of the hardtop are chewed up pretty badly. I suspect it was dropped, or scraped along the ground.
6. Shifter boot is loose. Minor issue though.
7. I may not be shifting properly or at an rpm that is too low for the gear. Where should I be shifting on the tachometer? It seems quite happy running along at 55/60 in 4th gear. I don’t feel like I am lugging it.

Haven‘t tested out the 4WD yet but will do that tomorrow. Plenty of places to do that without leaving the property.

Last edited:
Your engine not warming up is due to your thermostat being stuck open. Replace with a factory 195F thermostat. This is probably why your heater isn't heating up too. Multiple cylinder misfire is either due to spark or fuel. I'd start with new spark plugs , then inspect and test your fuel injectors. Minor kinks to be worked out, and won't cost you much money!

Just came in from pulling the spark plugs. The #3 had zero gap. All the others were fine. Bosh Dual Tip something or others. I will change those out ASAP.

But now, I am getting a P0354? No other codes. Engine is running rough. I thought maybe I didn't have the rail back in place correctly. Is there a trick to that?

I'm not worried at this point. This is not a DD for us so it can wait until I get things worked out. I need something to do anyway.

Just came in from pulling the spark plugs. The #3 had zero gap. All the others were fine. Bosh Dual Tip something or others. I will change those out ASAP.

But now, I am getting a P0354? No other codes. Engine is running rough. I thought maybe I didn't have the rail back in place correctly. Is there a trick to that?

I'm not worried at this point. This is not a DD for us so it can wait until I get things worked out. I need something to do anyway.

Replace those plugs with Auto Lite APP985. Your coil rail probably isn't seated all the way on one of the plugs, I've had that happen before. You got to wiggle it and play with it to make sure it's seated on all six.

Reactions: Mrprez

By way of encouragement, and from my vantage point here in my Lay-Z-Boy; what you paid for that Jeep, contrasted with the minor tinkering required to get it running right, still places the Jeep in the category of a great deal. There's always some skeletons in the closet, or at least of few bones, when buying relatively blind, out of state. But, and again, be thou encouraged, as you landed what I believe to be a great deal, for the money. In due course you'll have a fine machine.

By way of encouragement, and from my vantage point here in my Lay-Z-Boy; what you paid for that Jeep, contrasted with the minor tinkering required to get it running right, still places the Jeep in the category of a great deal. There's always some skeletons in the closet, or at least of few bones, when buying relatively blind, out of state. But, and again, be thou encouraged, as you landed what I believe to be a great deal, for the money. In due course you'll have a fine machine.

Thank you for the encouragement. I was considering sending it back to TX. But, then I remembered all the really bad Jeeps for sale around here for a lot more money. This one drives like a dream. The suspension and steering are tight as a drum. Like you said, just needs some tender loving care to get it back to good health engine wise.