Screaming Yellow Bonkers

Mrprez

Jeep Noob
Supporting Member
This is a 2001 Sahara, green/spice with a soft top.

2001 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4x4, 4.0 liter 6 cyl., 5-speed, A-C, CD Stereo, Cruise, Tilt, Fog Lights, Towing, Alloy Wheels, 151k. New B.F.Goodrich All Terrain tires. Dana 44 rear axle. 2” Pro Comp lift.

Clean Carfax, with three previous owners. Spent most of its life in the lower parts of Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky. I have not inspected this vehicle as yet. Naturally, a ground up inspection will be done.

The price is <$8,000. We plan to go see this Jeep on Thursday but I’d like to get some input.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John

E48E6229-19BD-4979-978C-EF2ED6C7F7DB.jpeg

24D7378B-B2D9-4F93-9398-5295A7184404.jpeg

1F4A8311-B347-4B87-8149-55117DA2D181.jpeg

2BA9F998-646A-4492-A93E-049B6F3936DA.jpeg

D19A0D67-95B6-4A34-9D47-6C2A6E23A692.jpeg

B5CDF9A8-B127-42BA-A683-FA6D3C6EC097.jpeg

9A4C4DE5-4C5F-4A94-A31D-15F752B424DD.jpeg

Looks clean, not high mileage for the age. Looks mostly stock original too. But $8K seems expensive for a soft top. It looks mighty shinny for 18 year old paint. Whats the drivers seat look like, they cropped the picture so you cannot see the drivers seat bolster. Looks like it might look better than it is.

I am always wary of used car lots.

Reactions: Mrprez
Given the states that it's been in could have some potential for rust so be looking closely at the frame and be prepared for some cooling system work with that many miles.

Reactions: Fonz54 and Mrprez
It’s difficult to make any comparisons based on price. There are lots of hard tops out there, but not too many of this vintage. The closest one in a Sahara hard top was a 2003 for $9900. It has 84000 miles but comes with an automatic transmission. Also looks to have a 4” lift on it. Trying to avoid anything lots of mods on it. The lift on this one is a Skyjacker.

B9C3CE41-D38E-4886-8FBD-68AC3215F711.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zedd
Given the states that it's been in he could have some potential for rust so be looking closely at the ad and be prepared for some cooling system work with that many miles.
Yep, I was concerned about those states as well. I will be checking the frame closely.

Yep, I was concerned about those states as well. I will be checking the frame closely.
Awesome I edited my post I meant to say frame.

I like Saharas.

Just make sure you want the manual...I have one manual and one automatic and the automatic will run circles around the manual. ..on road and off.

Looks clean, not high mileage for the age. Looks mostly stock original too. But $8K seems expensive for a soft top. It looks mighty shinny for 18 year old paint. Whats the drivers seat look like, they cropped the picture so you cannot see the drivers seat bolster. Looks like it might look better than it is.

I am always wary of used car lots.
There is/was a matching hard top for sale on this forum in Virginia. I think the price was $700. I don’t think it was aftermarket.

Awesome I edited my post I meant to say frame.

I like Saharas.

Just make sure you want the manual...I have one manual and one automatic and the automatic will run circles around the manual. ..on road and off.
At 6’1”, the automatic might be my best bet. Won’t know for sure until I try one on.

We just bought pretty much this exact jeep with the exact setup, for $9K down here on the Gulf Coast. Frame was absolutely solid, had 180K miles, and newer JK wheels and MTs. $8K sounds about right if the frame is solid up there in the snowbelt, barring any mechanical issues.

Well, a 2002 Wrangler X popped up on eBay this morning and after running the CarFax and getting additional information from the seller, I pulled the switch. 100% Texas car, 3 owners with second one owning it for the majority of its life. Hard top, manual 4.0 and it’s YELLOW! 125000 miles, never been off road. Also has a bikini top. All it needs is a rear bumper. The PO removed the factory one in order to install an aftermarket and never got around to doing so. The front looks to be a Smittybuilt tube style, so I’ll look for something similar. Purchase price was $6550. It’ll cost me $650 to ship it to Knoxville. Not too bad. Needs some better tires.

3F1D3D52-CC78-4E9E-B3E0-BA51D6D7726A.jpeg

B2582D13-7BD6-4B98-BF77-B7601EC7CC52.jpeg

6'2" and with the brackets (Bog Boy knock offs I think) that move the seat back 2-3 inches. I can't reach the peddles with the seat all the way back after the mod. You'll be fine with either with the stock location or after an easy affordable mod.

Nice catch. The 2002 Xs are great years and 7k is a steal if there is no rust on it.

Reactions: Web98
Congrats, and great choice in color! :cool:
Hey Baton Rouge! I was born there way back in 1952. Gueaux Tigers! Yeah, when I saw this yellow one, I had to have it. I’m surprised it didn’t get stolen out from under me as I was talking to the owner most of the day before I pulled the trigger.

Trying to figure out the tire situation. It has 17” JK wheels and I want to stay with a 31” tire. Any recommendations for a nice AT type tire?

Without detailed photos of the underside, I can offer no real opinion unfortunately.

Without detailed photos of the underside, I can offer no real opinion unfortunately.
This is true. Now this is personal preference, but I'd have to replace the front bumper, the flares, the tires and wheels, and the side steps. That is just what I see in the pics. The price seems decent though if nothing unforeseen is present.

Reactions: Chris