Screeching noise from engine

NCunlimitedLJ

Supporting Member
Hi there,
Starting yesterday I noticed a high pitch noise from the engine that starts a few seconds after cranking and can be heard in park when idling and also while driving around. The noise seems to stop when off gas while in drive , but picks back up when hitting gas though it does not seem to get audibly louder with more throttle provided.

I checked the idler pulley, but noise seems to be isolated to lower in engine bay. Wondering if this is the start of the “screeching monkeys “ and a sign the opda is failing or something else.

I have attached a quick video that highlights the noise. Any recommendations would be great.

Doesn't sound like the OPDA squeal I had (If mine even was?) but with an 05 if it hasn't been change I would change it sooner than later regardless! That thing is attached to the oil pump and makes it turn so if the cam gear wears or the flat head drive the pump wont turn properly!

Yea - I may be living on borrowed time. I ordered a mechanics stephoscope. I will work to isolate the noise but it really seems to be more pronounced towards the bottom and back of the engine.

Yea - I may be living on borrowed time. I ordered a mechanics stephoscope. I will work to isolate the noise but it really seems to be more pronounced towards the bottom and back of the engine.
I have a RHD so sitting on the OPDA side and there was no mistaking where my noise was coming from, directly in front of me! Personally I was taking no chances, I only cranked it twice more for a few seconds to record it. hopped out and used my other vehicle until I replace OPDA.
Yours sounds more of a pressure leak whistle or belt pully?

Check that the crank pulley is not rubbing on the timing cover. When the rubber in it goes bad, the pulley will wobble and touch the cover.

Since you have an auto, the flex plate may be loose or broken .

On the '05 you need to pull and check the OPDA regardless.

Reactions: Blondie70
Well stay tuned - noticed a giant crack in the top of the radiator and fluid almost out. Assuming the two issues most be related - fluid on the belt or something.
Per the advice of other posts - ordered a new mopar radiator and arrived next day. Here’s to hoping for wrapping up early tomorrow and knocking this replacement out. Will be out of town this weekend, and will see if we take the Jeep or not.

Well - replaced the radiator and belt this evening and all is well. Guess the most obvious things are sometimes the answer. All in all the radiator swap is pretty straightforward - only a couple hours from start to finish. The "screeching" noise is no longer present either. I appreciate everyone that took the time to reply.