Screwed up big time towing my Jeep

Hope you pack securely. Wouldn't want the TC to have any damage during transport. ;)

View attachment 286677

Sorry to read about your troubles. Hope you get it figured out and are back on the road.

View attachment 286678
1635427375229.gif

Im still waiting on some parts to arrive but have now disassembled everything.

The total damage list.

1/ Replace front drive shaft
2/ Replace Transfer Case
3/ Replace Rubicrawler transmission control cable
4/ Replace both axle ujoints
5/ Repair exhaust pipe (area close to front diff)
6/ Repair hole punched in floor

Thought some might like to see the destroyed transfer case

IMG_3823.jpg

After seeing this… and reading that the front driveshaft can just suddenly decide to lock up. I decided against setting up my jeep to flat tow. I’d rather borrow, rent, or buy a trailer than to go through this!

Sorry for your terrible luck man, hope you at least are able to find replacement parts at decent cost with Black Friday coming along!

After seeing this… and reading that the front driveshaft can just suddenly decide to lock up. I decided against setting up my jeep to flat tow. I’d rather borrow, rent, or buy a trailer than to go through this!

Sorry for your terrible luck man, hope you at least are able to find replacement parts at decent cost with Black Friday coming along!
If you were inclined to flat-tow, I wouldn't let this stop you. For peace of mind it would only take a few minutes to disconnect the driveshaft at the front diff and secure it up out of the way. At that point the risk is eliminated.

Reactions: LarryTJ and DWR
Im still waiting on some parts to arrive but have now disassembled everything.

The total damage list.

1/ Replace front drive shaft
2/ Replace Transfer Case
3/ Replace Rubicrawler transmission control cable
4/ Replace both axle ujoints
5/ Repair exhaust pipe (area close to front diff)
6/ Repair hole punched in floor

Thought some might like to see the destroyed transfer case

View attachment 291183
Does the tracking show how close it is?

If you were inclined to flat-tow, I wouldn't let this stop you. For peace of mind it would only take a few minutes to disconnect the driveshaft at the front diff and secure it up out of the way. At that point the risk is eliminated.
Very true… but question for you/anyone else that commented about the driveshaft locking up. Why isn’t the rear prone to it also? Is it because it isn’t double cardigan? My jeep has an SYE with a double cardigan for the rear driveshaft, so could it potentially happen to it as well?

Very true… but question for you/anyone else that commented about the driveshaft locking up. Why isn’t the rear prone to it also? Is it because it isn’t double cardigan? My jeep has an SYE with a double cardigan for the rear driveshaft, so could it potentially happen to it as well?
The potential is there and it does and has happened. The difference is age and wear. The front shaft rarely gets replaced when a build is done so it has been in use and turning for much longer than the new rear that is swapped in for the SYE or even just a lift on the Rubi versions. The rear will lock up and destroy stuff in less time since it runs at a higher angle. The reason it doesn't is folks also maintain them better. This front that locked up has likely been in use since the rig was new and nothing ever done to it or even looked at.

• Haha
Reactions: Tob, PRNDL and DWR
Holy crap thats hilarious! I totally didn't realize my mistake. That made my day!
Mr. Rogers would be so proud.

Can you say “grenade the transfer case boys and girls?”

That is hilarious.

I had an insane cousin- he was actually running the streets of post war Germany when his father ( a US soldier) went back and got him. He literally would hide food in his clothes for fear of not having a meal again soon.

He was unreal- so he grows up, drops out of school at like 9 and starts hustling- ends up fairly wealthy-and wanted to have it all and be suave and debonair but had no clue (family trait)

He had a business partner that told him- “ you are a narcissist”

He replied “man, I never sucked a (insert male anatomy part here ) !! “

I did just this. On a trip the rear shaft DC started to make noise. I removed the shaft and continued to drive it in front wheel drive mode for a couple hundred miles. Then I flat towed it 1000 miles back home. That DC had only lasted about 20k miles.

Does the tracking show how close it is?
HI Mr Blaine its been with NZ customs for 7 days. From memory it only took about 5 days to arrive in NZ. The police have just busted a drug smuggling ring at Auckland Airport. I think it was mainly baggage handlers so they are probably a bit short on staff at the moment. Once it clears customs it will take about 2-3 days.

Last edited:
I think the main reasons Double Cardans fail is lack of maintenance. In my TJ it is sandwiched between the bash plate and the transmission and very difficult to inspect without removing the bash plate. To remove the bash plate you need to support the transmission and transfer case so its not a two minute job. I always gave it the old wiggle test whenever I was in the area but obviously that is not good enough.

HI Mr Blaine its been with NZ customs for 7 days. From memory it only took about 5 days to arrive in NZ. The police have just busted a drug smuggling ring at Auckland Airport. I think it was mainly baggage handlers so they are probably a bit short on staff at the moment. Once it clears customs it will take about 2-3 days.
Fingers crossed everything arrives unscathed and you don't hop on a plane to come visit over the packing job.