Sealant under rocker and corner guard armor

JimT

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am about to mount corner guard armor and rocker rail on my project TJ. The last rocker I installed years ago became the source of mud and sand trapping an ass ton of rust. I have spent the last 6 months mitigating rust. I don't want to cause more problems in the future mounting this armor if I can avoid it. I am considering a silicone or perhaps a 5200 coating to seal it. Any experience or advice would be appreciated.

I've been wondering this since my Savvy sliders should be here tomorrow. Is a gasket really recommended? I've seen a handful of install write ups, but only one or two people used a gasket. And wouldn't you have to pull them every so often anyway to clean and possibly replace the gasket anyway?

I've been wondering this since my Savvy sliders should be here tomorrow. Is a gasket really recommended? I've seen a handful of install write ups, but only one or two people used a gasket. And wouldn't you have to pull them every so often anyway to clean and possibly replace the gasket anyway?
I wouldn't worry about it outside of the salt belt and you definitely don't live in the salt belt. I've installed 4-5 and never worried about gaskets, silicone, etc. :)

Have you ever bothered with taking them off and cleaning up behind them?
I have never even considered doing so. There are so many panels, fenders, etc. bolted together in our Jeeps without gaskets etc. that I wouldn't give the rocker guards a second thought outside of the salt belt. :)

Reactions: PStov98TJ
I had this same dilemma when I put mine on and ended up using Monstaliner behind them. And for the record, I initially had them on for about a month in the summer without anything between the body and the slider. That short time was enough to cause a few areas of surface rust to develop where grit had worked it's way in.
IMG_1045.JPG
IMG_1044.JPG
IMG_1068.JPG
IMG_1072.JPG
20161130_135900.jpg

Reactions: JP13
I live deep in the center of the salt/rust belt. I have sanded/primed/painted/sealed everything under the panels and parts that I will add as well as the undersurface of the parts that I will add. The rocker guard gasket looks like just the ticket.