Sears Sold Craftsman Division

Don't get me wrong, Snap-On makes some nice tools. However, the prices are just a little bit to high to justify unless you're anything short of a professional mechanic (as your job).

Dad bought a Garden tractor in 71 with a 10 inch plow. We worked the hell out of that thing and it was still plowing when I left in 86. No major break downs the time he had it and I think when he got to the point where he wasnt able to do much sold it for $500. I plowed all the neighbors gardens and mmade bank in the spring. I havent seen anything last like their stuff did back then

Reactions: Chris
Yep, I've got a drawer full of the old round head, find tooth ratchets. I love this things! Do they even make them anymore?
Guard them with your life!

They aren't in any store I've seen lately. I asked, out of curiosity, about a rebuild kit even though I didn't need it. The sales person said they would exchange the whole ratchet, but he really had no idea what ratchet I was talking about.

Guard them with your life!

They aren't in any store I've seen lately. I asked, out of curiosity, about a rebuild kit even though I didn't need it. The sales person said they would exchange the whole ratchet, but he really had no idea what ratchet I was talking about.

They probably want to exchange it for one of the shitty low end ratchets.

Here ya go:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=172470410739

Same ones I have, and not a bad price either!

I know Snap-On ratchets are amazing, but the price simply isn't worth it (to me).

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Dad bought a Garden tractor in 71 with a 10 inch plow. We worked the hell out of that thing and it was still plowing when I left in 86. No major break downs the time he had it and I think when he got to the point where he wasnt able to do much sold it for $500. I plowed all the neighbors gardens and mmade bank in the spring. I havent seen anything last like their stuff did back then

I've still got my Dad's Craftsman table saw, band saw, and wood working tools from 1969! They work just as good as when he bought them brand new (so he tells me), and there's never been an issue with them.

They simply don't build tools these days like they used to!

I would pay above a resonable price if they would make them the way they did 40 years ago. A friend bought a Snap On rachet with 8 sockets the other day. $925. Not me

holy crap. $925 is ridiculous for a rachet and 8 sockets. that's the equivalent of a warn winch! or a sail cloth top replacement by bestop! there are much better ways to spend $925.

Reactions: Chris and Ted
I 100% agree. I look for old ones a yard sales and flea markets. Havent found anything on Craigslist.

Yard sales, estate sales, or going out of marriage sales are best for finding quality used tools. flea markets not so much (at least me personally).

Meh, I didn't know they had shipped Craftsman out to China already also. All my Craftsman stuff is/was USA made.
That's a shame, they used to be so good!

Reactions: Stinger
Meh, I didn't know they had shipped Craftsman out to China already also. All my Craftsman stuff is/was USA made.
That's a shame, they used to be so good!

They started outsourcing it to China about 10 years or so ago. It happened slowly at first with only certain tools being made in China, but now it's all of them.

Sad, but true.

Reactions: Ryan Thomas
Well, then I guess that's about the only good thing about not being able to do my own work on the Jeep anymore... I won't have the disappointment of crappy Chinese tools breaking on me ;)

Chris,
This is the model ratchet I was referring to. If you've got a drawer full of these you'll be set for a really loooong time.

image.jpg

They made them in at least the 3 most common drive sizes in several different lengths. I don't know about 3/4 " drive

Chris,
This is the model ratchet I was referring to. If you've got a drawer full of these you'll be set for a really loooong time.

View attachment 8927

They made them in at least the 3 most common drive sizes in several different lengths. I don't know about 3/4 " drive

I don't have those ones! The ones I linked to are the ones I have, and they are very fine tooth ratchets.

I'll have to look for some of the ones you mentioned on eBay!

I'm sure there are other Craftsman ratchets that are good as well. This was my "go to" 1/2 for about 15 years. But the one below is my new favorite.

image.jpg

I didn't and wouldn't buy it for myself. It was a retirement gift from the "kids" in the dept. that I trained, loaned tools to, etc.
They used to tease me that I was getting weak in my old age and needed help getting fasteners tight enough on the bed plates and fixtures. That's the reason for "the equalizer" label.

Sears lost me when they recently refused to replace a bad 1/2" ratchet wrench. The reason given that my broken ratchet was already a replacement they had given me and they wouldn't replace it again. It apparently had some stamp on it indicating it wasn't purchased new. :mad:

Sears lost me when they recently refused to replace a bad 1/2" ratchet wrench. The reason given that my broken ratchet was already a replacement they had given me and they wouldn't replace it again. It apparently had some stamp on it indicating it wasn't purchased new. :mad:

A stamp on it, seriously? Anytime any of my friends has got a replacement ratchet they just go in the store, give them the broken one, and Sears hands them a new one off the shelf. So I'm not sure how it got a stamp in it... That must be something new, and if so, screw Sears!

The couple times they replaced ratchets for me in years past they pulled it out of a cardboard box of rebuilt ratchet wrenches. I never received a brand-new replacement ratchet wrench off the shelf.

The couple times they replaced ratchets for me in years past they pulled it out of a cardboard box of rebuilt ratchet wrenches. I never received a brand-new replacement ratchet wrench off the shelf.

That's weird... maybe it's different from store-to-store. My buddy had to replace ratchets several times, and each time he went in, they just pulled one off the shelf.

Strange.

How long ago was that sir? That's a BS policy if I ever heard one.

The 1/2 flex ratchet, (a cheaper version), than what I showed a picture of in an above post, was broken with about every 3 or 4 months of daily use. I was aligning front ends and doing a crap ton of suspension work during the 98 to 04 time frame. I had it replaced 3or 4 times, no questions asked. It was a PITA though and that's what drove me to purchase the RHFT ratchet I still use today.

I never received a rebuilt that I know of. Always an off the shelf ratchet.