Seat belt wiring?

Grandpa1

I posted a question awhile back about the seat belt light on my 2002 TJ. I’m still having the problem.
I have gone through all the resources and cannot find a diagram of the seat belt wiring.
Does anyone know where I can find some info on this.
So far I have pulled the seats and cleaned the buckles and all the connections. The wiring and connector is ok.
Once I get that dang light to go off my new toy will be in great shape.
I appreciate any help!

I posted a question awhile back about the seat belt light on my 2002 TJ. I’m still having the problem.
I have gone through all the resources and cannot find a diagram of the seat belt wiring.
Does anyone know where I can find some info on this.
So far I have pulled the seats and cleaned the buckles and all the connections. The wiring and connector is ok.
Once I get that dang light to go off my new toy will be in great shape.
I appreciate any help!

On my 2003 simply unplugging the electrical connector causes the light to go out.

It’s the passenger seat belt light.
The drivers side is un plugged and goes off quickly.
I plugged it back in and it made no difference.
I guess the next thing I need to do is look in the seat for sensors, I don’t know.
No help online anywhere.
I am looking at the 4 volume service manuals for sale on eBay but don’t really want to spend those bucks.
That money could buy another Jeep goody!
Thanks!

Yes, I have been through all the 2002 pdf in the resources. Can’t find anything but a written description that’s pretty vague. No help for me.
Thanks!

Pretty sure there is only 1 seat belt switch and that is on the drivers side seatbelt assembly as Jerry has referenced. Is it possible you are seeing the passenger side air bag indicator on? Put your ignition key into the air bag switch normally mounted on the console and give it a counter clockwise turn and see if your light goes out.

Last edited:
Good idea. I’ve already thought of it but it is a non serviceable bulb. I found that out online.
Black tape crossed my mind but I don’t really want to go there.
Anyway, I just ordered the 4 volume 2002 TJ service manuals off eBay.
If and when I get this sorted out I will post the fix.
Thanks everyone!

The dash light symbol showing is a picture of the passenger with the seat belt. If you google 2002 TJ Dash Warning lights it shows all the symbols and what they mean.

I'm only aware of two lights. The first is the driver seat belt warning light (no other seatbelts trigger this):

ford-seat-belt-warning-150x150.jpg

The second is the airbag warning light. It is triggered by the Airbag Control Module for various fault conditions:

ford-air-bag-warning-150x150.jpg

As far as I can tell, the 2002 (and all other model years I've looked at) doesn't trigger the first light for any seat other than the driver's seat. If the first light is on, you probably have either a short in the wiring or in the instrument panel itself. If the second light is on, you have an airbag fault.

The dash light symbol showing is a picture of the passenger with the seat belt. If you google 2002 TJ Dash Warning lights it shows all the symbols and what they mean.

Did you Google “2002 jeep tj turn off seat belt light”… there is a plethora of information…

Did you Google “2002 jeep tj turn off seat belt light”… there is a plethora of information…

Yes, a lot of info but nothing for me
I'm only aware of two lights. The first is the driver seat belt warning light (no other seatbelts trigger this):

ford-seat-belt-warning-150x150.jpg

The second is the airbag warning light. It is triggered by the Airbag Control Module for various fault conditions:

ford-air-bag-warning-150x150.jpg

As far as I can tell, the 2002 (and all other model years I've looked at) doesn't trigger the first light for any seat other than the driver's seat. If the first light is on, you probably have either a short in the wiring or in the instrument panel itself. If the second light is on, you have an airbag fault.

The airbag light comes on and goes off.
The passenger light, according to the dash warning light, stays on.

Something is odd here. The FSM says the indicator light relates to the drivers side front seatbelt. No mention of passenger side. Can you post a pic of what you are seeing?

Reactions: sab
This is the last problem on my 1997 Wrangler, Original owner. From what I've gathered, if there is a problem with the Airbag system, the system will defer to the seat belt warning light, and it will stay on. You have mentioned an intermittent Air bag warning light. So, maybe that is the problem. I also remember that my new ignition switch acts kind of Wonky sometimes, and when I start my car, the air bag light will come on and not go off. This happens rarely, like every six months or more. I thought it was a problem, but then the next time that I drove, it didn't come on. At one point, when it happened, I just immediately turned my Jeep off, and then I restarted it, and the air bag warning light went away. My problem is that my seat belt warning light will not work like it used to work. It never stays on, even if I don't connect my seat belt. I may have defeated it a long time ago, and I don't remember what I did. I remember that there may be a fuse to defeat it, and maybe I pulled it a long time ago. But, I remember that it would stay on if I didn't buckle my seats. I brought a new driver's seat belt switch, and that didn't solve the problem, because obviously the problem exists before that curcuit. Maybe it is all tied to my strange acting ignition switch, although it works fine other than the occassional Air bag issue. I will ask my mechanic about it all. He is very good. He just doesn't like electrical stuff. This is my last issue with my Jeep, getting it back to 100% original operation. If I find the problem, I will report back here.

Reactions: 97JadeTJ
I found the information about the Air bag light using the seat belt light in the owner's manual attached picture. If I posted it incorrectly, please let me know.

Air Bag Light2.png

I've also discovered that Aftermarket ignition switches may cause issues with certain functions. So, I will be installing a Mopar one soon. This has been reported as the issue with the Key left in the ignition chime not working when the door is open. I recently locked my keys in my car because of this missing warning. It also explains the problem with my faulty Air bag light at times, as mentioned above. I'm hoping it also fixes my seat belt light not working properly too. With that one, I'll just cross my fingers. Cheers.

I proved it today… since the day I got my new to me 97 tj the seatbelt light has been on and there was no chime… I tried everything to turn it off, unplugging the connection under the seat, testing the wiring and the seatbelt itself… so today for shits and giggles I took the cluster out and low And behold the airbag light was burned out… swapped it with another bulb and plugged it back in and now the seatbelt light goes out, and chimes, and the airbag light stays on… fix one problem and find another… oh well!

• Haha
Reactions: Bigmac