Seat covers vs new seats: thoughts?

Camhabib

TJ Enthusiast
Have a Sahara with seats that are more or less in perfect condition (minus a pull tab on one which doesn’t work). With a pup and my intended use however (as a weekend camping / bad weather vehicle), I don’t foresee them staying in that condition for too long and wanted something that would perhaps hold up a bit better / not show the dirt. I’m currently trying to decide between purchasing some Bartact covers, vs going with something like new PRP seats for just a couple hundred more. I’m pretty torn on which to go with as both have great reviews, and their own advantages and disadvantages. Curious as to people’s opinions on this?

I have Headwaters seat covers, both in my Jeep and my 3/4 ton Dodge diesel truck. Both installed 5+ years ago, wear like iron and haven’t had to adjust them one bit. The seats in my 2000 Sahara were in great shape, so for a couple of hundred bucks they’re very well protected. At some point I may go to aftermarket seats but that’s a significantly more expensive option.

Don’t know Bartact (if that’s what you want) but those look solid too, just a bit more expensive. Marathon seat covers are supposed to be great too (that’s where the owner of Headwaters worked before starting his own company).

If they're in good condition, you might be able to come out on top by selling them if you replace them. I'd check what good condition tj seats are going for in your area.

What year is your Jeep? Mine's a '99. With the old style seats. And swapping up for the more modern 03-06 stock seats was a nice upgrade. $400 here in CA from a junkyard. Probably cheaper in the rest of the US.

I’m currently trying to decide between purchasing some Bartact covers, vs going with something like new PRP seats for just a couple hundred more.

I had the Bestop covers and pulled them for the Bartact covers. The Bartact covers are about as good as can be expected from a cover. I'd have preferred some PRP seats but to get something comparable to the OEM seat you're looking at +$1000/set more than the Bartacts.

Thanks for the replies so far. The TJ is a 98, so no idea which version of the seats they are, but they are comfortable. My big concern was that even with seat covers, the stitching would rip over time, and I’d have to just get aftermarket seats anyways. I saw a post from Jerry and a few others praising the PRP Daily Driver, and they would only be $300-400 more than Bartact covers, which seem to be the most universally recommended.

Have a Sahara with seats that are more or less in perfect condition (minus a pull tab on one which doesn’t work). With a pup and my intended use however (as a weekend camping / bad weather vehicle), I don’t foresee them staying in that condition for too long and wanted something that would perhaps hold up a bit better / not show the dirt. I’m currently trying to decide between purchasing some Bartact covers, vs going with something like new PRP seats for just a couple hundred more. I’m pretty torn on which to go with as both have great reviews, and their own advantages and disadvantages. Curious as to people’s opinions on this?

I'm in the same boat as you. Will be following this post.

Reactions: hamrickac
If they are comfortable why would you take them out? Get any brand that has either nylon (stronger) or polyCoton fabric in a heavy weight. You save $100s and $100s and you know they are comfortable to you.

I saw a post from Jerry and a few others praising the PRP Daily Driver, and they would only be $300-400 more than Bartact covers, which seem to be the most universally recommended.

Those are a higher bolster, fixed back seat. If that works for you, great. They aren't comparable to OEM seats, though.