Seat Replacement

Kevin E

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
I want to replace my factory style seats with a decent aftermarket seat if they exist. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't find these seats very comfortable. Thanks

I want to replace my factory style seats with a decent aftermarket seat if they exist. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't find these seats very comfortable. Thanks
A buddy of mine bought a set of Bestop seats. Front and back, they look very nice. He also said they were very comfortable and easy to install.

My Bestop Trailmax seats (made in China) had to be replaced twice under warranty, the foam padding kept crumbling causing the cushions and bolsters to collapse. As often as I recommend Bestop's soft tops and seat covers, I can't recommend their seats at all.

I ended up replacing them with PRP's American made suspension seats 3 years ago which I am much happier with. Here's my writeup on installing them...

http://wranglertjforum.com/threads/stock-oe-seat-replacement-option.1740/

FrontFinal_zpsfa9be200.jpg

Reactions: Chris
I was looking at these seats. Def not going to hold me for the long term, I'm 6'5 310. The original seat cushion in my '06 is still holding up, but the fabric is faded, no tears though.

Reactions: Chris
Good to know Jerry. At one point I almost bought those Bestop seats. Guess I'm glad I didn't!

I installed a set of Corbeau Moab seats in my '03 Rubicon and would Never recommend them. Hard as a 2x8 & major back issues after 30" ride.$1000 poorer! Currently looking at salvage yards for replacement.

I like the idea of updating/re-covering my old seats...going off the price of new seats, pricing has to be comparable.

I didn't like any of the 3rd party seats I looked at. Some wouldn't recline, or lean forward like the OEM, so I just decided to reupholster. I'm pretty happy with it.

Did you have all the foam replaced too? What did it all cost you?

Reactions: CMTJ
I got a great deal on a single MasterCraft Baja RS, $200!!! This is a $500+ seat, having said that, it is super comfortable once you get in, the thigh bolster is a thinly padded steel bar in the frame of the seat, the first time you climb in it is a little invading in the south end of things. After you do it a couple of times you figure out how to get seated without being violated...... as I said, once seated it is way more comfortable than the stock Rubi seat and you sit up about 2-3" higher....... Making the mounting brackets from the stock seat fit was not difficult (although time consuming for the first attempt) and the tilt lever is easy enough to make...... saving another $100........
By the way, anyone know of a passenger MasterCraft Baja RS for sale?

I think the tiburon's look nice but finding two that are right color and no flaws may be tough. I have been into Hot Rods fora ong time, and the oem recover seems to be the most cost efective way to get the look of NEW seats and no mods. remove th seats youself take to quality shop save as some $$$ plus your rig is not taking up space in their shop, which most shops are limited to. you end up with nice new look. 2 seats should run in the 650.00 to 900.00 depending on size of shop and mat.l. check round with street rod guys in your area, they will know the guy that does quality work at affordable price.