I'm not even sure I know what we're talking about. Are these like spacers that raise the seat up higher?

Yes, that is what I'm talking about. There are a couple different brands and styles, rubber/HDPE pucks and aluminum blocks anywhere from 1'' to 2". The wife has to pull herself up to see where the nose is when parking, and I could see where it would be nice to see over the nose a little better myself.

Jason

Oh man, I had no idea. I am only 5'9 on a good day and to me it seems like the stock seats sit pretty darn high as it is.

Jeep lowered the seats in 2003 to better align the body to the airbags. I noticed it as soon as I bought my '04 which replaced my '97 TJ. I felt like a 5 year old trying to see over the hood, the seating position is really bad for anyone who isn't 6' which I'm not.

So they do make seat risers for TJs, most are aluminum pucks like you can kinda barely see in the below pics which are something like 1.5" tall as I seem to recall mine are. They really improve the driving position and give you a better view of the trail and road ahead. I wish I could give a specific link or company manufacturer but I won mine at some 4x4 event years ago and don't recall who made them.

Scroll down to the bottom, it's that silver puck under the seat frame.
Picture 140.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Interesting. So it must have been the same time that Jeep switched to the high back seats in 03 that they lowered the seats? Funny because I'm only 5'9 but it's never bothered me and I don't think I ever thought of the seat as being that low. It would be interesting though to try some risers and see how I like it.

Interesting. So it must have been the same time that Jeep switched to the high back seats in 03 that they lowered the seats? Funny because I'm only 5'9 but it's never bothered me and I don't think I ever thought of the seat as being that low. It would be interesting though to try some risers and see how I like it.
Due to having many of my original ideas stepped on, ripped off, or just plain copied, I tend to support those who originate ideas. As such, Buchanan was the first to market with the seat riser for the 03-06 TJ. I use the ones that are 1" tall for all those that I do but again, being well over 6' tall may have some effect on my choices.

Be careful not to get them too tall as the streamer bar gets very close to the side of your head if you do.

Buchanan's are well made, high quality hardware,made from aluminum and more expensive than they should be. Avoid anything with a compressible puck. The bolts need to torque down tight and stay that way to keep you as safe as possible in a collision.

Due to having many of my original ideas stepped on, ripped off, or just plain copied, I tend to support those who originate ideas. As such, Buchanan was the first to market with the seat riser for the 03-06 TJ. I use the ones that are 1" tall for all those that I do but again, being well over 6' tall may have some effect on my choices.

Be careful not to get them too tall as the streamer bar gets very close to the side of your head if you do.

Buchanan's are well made, high quality hardware,made from aluminum and more expensive than they should be. Avoid anything with a compressible puck. The bolts need to torque down tight and stay that way to keep you as safe as possible in a collision.

Makes perfect sense. I see they sell them in 1 1/2" and 2". I didn't see any 1" ones but I'll have to look.

Seems like a cheap, but effective mod!

1 1/4". Used some 3/4" ID, Sch40 Pipe and bolts 1 1/4" longer than stock, all Grade 8, plus washers.
Simple, cheap, solid.

I'm 6' tall and I hated the "look under the steering wheel" but my big reason was to raise my legs.

Last edited:
1 1/4". Used some 3/4" ID, Sch40 Pipe and bolts 1 1/4" longer than stock, all Grade 8, plus washers.
Simple, cheap, solid.

I'm 6' tall and I hated the "look under the steering wheel" but my big reason was to raise my legs.

Apologies for correcting you twice but being a fastener nerd, I can't overlook that you mixed grades between Metric and SAE fasteners. Only one bolt per seat is SAE and that is the larger Torx head version while the other 3 are metric and to be Grade 8 equivalent, they would have to be Metric Class 10.9.

Forgot to mention that those of us who drove and own the 97-02's first really noticed it hopping into the later ones when we "fell" into the seat. It was immediate and obvious that they were much lower.

Forgot to mention that those of us who drove and own the 97-02's first really noticed it hopping into the later ones when we "fell" into the seat. It was immediate and obvious that they were much lower.

Interesting! I've never even sat in a 97-02 so clearly I don't know what I am missing!

Apologies for correcting you twice but being a fastener nerd, I can't overlook that you mixed grades between Metric and SAE fasteners. Only one bolt per seat is SAE and that is the larger Torx head version while the other 3 are metric and to be Grade 8 equivalent, they would have to be Metric Class 10.9.

Yeah not my field of expertise. I just went to the bolt supply house and showed them the bolts, they gave me the same or better. I knew Grade8 was in there.

Big point is don't just use cheap hardware store bolts.

Yeah not my field of expertise. I just went to the bolt supply house and showed them the bolts, they gave me the same or better. I knew Grade8 was in there.

Big point is don't just use cheap hardware store bolts.

If you don't have just a smidgen of knowledge, then you won't know that Metric Class 8.8 could easily be confused with SAE Grade 8 and they are in fact closer to Grade 5. Not that it matters in this instance, but it could at some point and knowing enough to verify that they have indeed given you the right parts is never a bad thing.

I have the Fat Bob's Garage 1 1/2" seat risers sitting on the bench waiting for the time to install. I did these same ones on previous LJ and really liked the seat height. As a rep for one of the largest names in the fastener business, you can still get quality bolts at a hardware store, just pay attention to the grades. Like mrblaine said. 10.9 is GR8 equivalent in metric.

Guys, guys, guys... The more you talk the more my 'mod list' grows.

Seat risers, here I come.

So after all of that, I am assuming that 1 1/2'' aluminum blocks or pads with some quality hardware should do the trick.

Jason

Yes, that's what I've taken from this. Some quality aluminum blocks with the proper quality hardware should do the trick just fine.