Seat Risers

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
Who runs these and how do you like them ?

How much lift is adequate?

Thanks

Reactions: JeepZilla380
Was there a link or picture with this?

I installed a set of Misch Big Boy Brackets for more leg room and they ever slightly raise the seat as well, just a tad, but it was appreciated.

Reactions: AndyG
I have them. One it the earliest mods I did to my Jeep (05 Rubicon). Made an appreciable difference in visibility and comfort. I got mine from Buchanan precision machine who were the first to sell them for TJs. I'm using 1.5" and very happy with them. I chose the height based on what they said in the website according to my height.

https://buchananprecisionmachine.com/t/jeep-seat-riser-lift-kits

I ordered an early 90s mustang dead pedal just yesterday after seeing it in @jjvw's build thread. Pretty cheap from eBay. Cannot wait to install that once it arrives. @tworley also posted a photo but can't find which thread.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/daily-driver-go-where-i-want-to-build.9410/page-5#post-147901

Last edited:
I have them. One it the earliest mods I did to my Jeep (05 Rubicon). Made an appreciable difference in visibility and comfort. I got mine from Buchanan precision machine who were the first to sell them for TJs. I'm using 1.5" and very happy with them. I chose the height based on what they said in the website according to my height.

I ordered an early 90s mustang dead pedal just yesterday after seeing it in @jjvw's build thread. Pretty cheap from eBay. Cannot wait to install that once it arrives. @tworley also posted a photo but can't find which thread.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/daily-driver-go-where-i-want-to-build.9410/page-5#post-147901

Manual or auto? Curious if I’d have room in a manual for the dead pedal.

I love it.... please post a picture of that when you do it.

Same seat risers on my TJ, and the last two I have owned. Quality product, and I like the idea of supporting an original developer/manufacturer of a great idea. I have 1.5".

Reactions: psrivats
I like the idea of increased vision, but doesn't raising the seat decrease the clearance between the steering wheel and the seat making it more difficult to get in and out? I'm pretty short of inseam, so the seat isn't all the way back.

Same seat risers on my TJ, and the last two I have owned. Quality product, and I like the idea of supporting an original developer/manufacturer of a great idea. I have 1.5".
I have the ebay plain aluminum version of those. The supplied hardware was too short, and of dubious quality. So I replaced that with correct length Grade 8 bolts. (you get what you pay for)
But the risers themselves work great. Much improved sight lines.

I have the big boy ones or whatever they are called that most buy around here. Bought them from eBay. Great mod. Before them I never quite felt comfortable driving the TJ. Those corrected that and gave better sight lines.

It was probably my lack of coordination but I had a hard time getting the risers lined up and the bolts started. Probably took me 30 mins to do the driver side and 45 to do the passenger.

I stand 5'8" with a 29 " inseam. I purchased the Buchanan seat lifts. I call Buchanan and in chatting with the owner he recommended the medium height lifts due to my height. I do find the vision is better as I can look over the hood easier. BUT I also find my seat needs to be nearer to the steering wheel so I can better reach the pedals. I would hate the need to install pedal blocks hahaha. They were not to bad to install.

Gary Fiber K8IZ

I've been thinking the past few weeks since buying the Jeep it sat a little low. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just ordered the 1.5 from Buchanan.

Reactions: Blondie70
2003 and newer TJ seat base heights were lowered, ostensibly to better align the body with the airbags. But to me 2003 and newer seats sit too low to see out of the Jeep well. I installed spacers under my seats but removed them 2 months ago to make getting in/out easier but after my recent Rubicon trail run I'm reinstalling them. Without the spacers I had more trouble seeing out on some of the more difficult parts of the trail. This is not really an issue with 2002 and older TJs like I used to have.

I built mine out of the rubber bumper things that I cut off my front bumper. Used my sawzall, cut between the metal plate molded in the rubber and the rubber. Then I used a side grinder to grind off the bolt, then just popped the bolt into the bumper, the steel plate fell off. They wound up being about 1 3/16 inch square x 1 1/2 in long. Made all 4 from one piece. I carefully used my table saw with multiple fences and push sticks. Still have all 9 fingers ...oops 10 fingers. Gives me a little more leg room but I still want to upgrade my oem seats to ones with headrests.

Last edited:
Anyone have these with the Tuffy under seat lock box, just wondering if there is an issue using both ?

Mine worked fine, the spacers went over the bolt flanges of the box, under the seat base. I did have to go to Fastenal to find longer bolts.

Anyone have these with the Tuffy under seat lock box, just wondering if there is an issue using both ?
I have both. No issues whatsoever. I didn't even need longer bolts. I am running the 1.5 inch Buchanan @psrivats has (see post #3). One of my best upgrades.

I built mine out of the rubber bumper things that I cut off my front bumper. Used my sawzall, cut between the metal plate molded in the rubber and the rubber. Then I used a side grinder to grind off the bolt, then just popped the bolt into the bumper, the steel plate fell off. They wound up being about 1 3/16 inch square x 1 1/2 in long. Made all 4 from one piece. I carefully used my table saw with multiple fences and push sticks. Still have all 9 fingers ...oops 10 fingers. Gives me a little more leg room but I still want to upgrade my oem seats to ones with headrests.
DSC_2260.jpg

Awhile later-

DSC_2373.jpg

Reactions: jgaz