Second Try

Randy_K

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My last build..https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/budget-tj.7073/

Well I have given up on my TJ build. I truly love the Jeep but I don't think I can make it haul my camper and am replacing the TJ.

I have recently bought a 2005 LJ. It is mostly stock, for now. I have started building flat fenders for it and will move over a bunch of stuff from my TJ before selling it.

My problem now is what to do for suspension. Long arm it or short arm ? Move my OME lift from the TJ to the LJ or do something different.?

The start...
oldnew.jpg

I wouldn't do a long arm or a short arm... I'd do a mid-arm lift, as that's what's going to return the suspension to it's ideal geometry in most cases (after a lift of course).

That looks like a nice LJ, and I don't fault you for wanting the extra room! I love the Ravine wheels too, one of my favs.

Reactions: Randy_K
I just ordered a MetalCloak 3.5" ARB lift today. I don't have any direct experience with it just yet but I will very soon. My LJ will be able to run 35s with it.

Great looking LJ!! I really like the fabrication that you have going on. I wish I had that talent!!

Reactions: b0xcar and Randy_K
I wouldn't do a long arm or a short arm... I'd do a mid-arm lift, as that's what's going to return the suspension to it's ideal geometry in most cases (after a lift of course).

That looks like a nice LJ, and I don't fault you for wanting the extra room! I love the Ravine wheels too, one of my favs.
so far I only found savvy that offers a mid arm. Any recommendations?

A midarm lift is a fairly unique setup that few people need or even want. This means very few companies make them and they tend to be pricey. Besides Savvy, the only other routes I know of are Genright or making a custom suspension yourself. If I was putting a new suspension on my Jeep, I'd go with Savvy.

Savvy has one, as well as GenRight, and I believe Rokmen. A lot of off-road shops built their own. For instance, @David Kishpaugh is building me his own custom mid-arm lift.

It makes sense that a lot of these guys build their own too, since it's definitely not a bolt-on lift like the short arm / long arm lifts.

What do you plan on doing with it? You don't need anything other than some 2 or 3 inch springs and an inch of body lift to get 33's under there. Don't let the king of ridiculously overbuilt (@Chris ) talk you into a mid-arm. Its simply NOT necessary. Actually, based on your last post, I'd just Switch the TJ stuff over. Its not that old, and you can sell the TJ as stock and still do OK. You won't get enough MORE for the TJ with the lift and tires to cover the cost of buying replacement parts for the LJ.

What do you plan on doing with it? You don't need anything other than some 2 or 3 inch springs and an inch of body lift to get 33's under there. Don't let the king of ridiculously overbuilt (@Chris ) talk you into a mid-arm. Its simply NOT necessary. Actually, based on your last post, I'd just Switch the TJ stuff over. Its not that old, and you can sell the TJ as stock and still do OK. You won't get enough MORE for the TJ with the lift and tires to cover the cost of buying replacement parts for the LJ.

Well, I wouldn't have even brought the mid-arm up, but if someone is considering a long arm, I'd much rather see them do it right and go with a mid-arm, that's all. But yes, I agree, a mid-arm is most likely unnecessary. So in that case, I'd advise a short arm. I'd also second moving the TJ parts over. That makes the most sense.

Well, I wouldn't have even brought the mid-arm up, but if someone is considering a long arm, I'd much rather see them do it right and go with a mid-arm, that's all. But yes, I agree, a mid-arm is most likely unnecessary. So in that case, I'd advise a short arm.

I miss-understood your first post then. Sorry. :blush: OP asked about whether he should do a long arm or short.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Ok so if I get this right , my OME shocks , springs and steering stabilizer with a quality short arm of some kind ? I have axels and transfer case from a rubi to go in as well. I will also move my currie skid plate and lift the motor as part of the tummy tuck. My Nitto 33 x 12.5 Trail Grapplers will also move over to the LJ.

What do you look for in a short arm kit ?

Thanks for all the help

You can build a really great short arm kit with the parts you have. You have the springs and shocks already. Add some nice johnny joint control arms (Currie, Savvy, Core 4x4) or Metalcloak to finish the suspension. For steering, the the OME stabilizer you have will be fine. Upgrade the tie rod to the V8 ZJ one from Moog (see THIS post) and you'll be set for 33's. IF you bend that, then you are wheeling hard enough to warrant the Currie HD steering...so replace the less expensive OEM parts at that time.

Lets see...what else. You're throwing Rubi axles and T-case in...so you'll need new driveshafts. Tummy tuck will be nice, but will require you to mod the exhaust and maybe the rear spring buckets on the axle. You'll also have to plan on a 1.25" body lift to stuff that 241OR T-case up into the tub. Its MUCH bigger than a 231. Gears in the Rubi axles will be ok'ish, but not great.

I hope that helps. It's pretty much my build plan as well, so I'm very familiar with the steps here. Reach out if you have any other questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: rasband and Randy_K
You can build a really great short arm kit with the parts you have. You have the springs and shocks already. Add some nice johnny joint control arms (curry, Savvy, Core 4x4) or Metalcloak to finish the suspension. For steering, the the OME stabilizer you have will be fine. Upgrade the tie rod to the V8 ZJ one from Moog (see THIS post) and you'll be set for 33's. IF you bend that, then you are wheeling hard enough to warrant the Curry HD steering...so replace the less expensive OEM parts at that time.

Lets see...what else. You're throwing Rubi axles and T-case in...so you'll need new driveshafts. Tummy tuck will be nice, but will require you to mod the exhaust and maybe the rear spring buckets on the axle. You'll also have to plan on a 1.25" body lift to stuff that 241OR T-case up into the tub. Its MUCH bigger than a 231. Gears in the Rubi axles will be ok'ish, but not great.

I hope that helps. It's pretty much my build plan as well, so I'm very familiar with the steps here. Reach out if you have any other questions.

Thankyou very much for the reply. One more wheeling trip in the TJ then I start taking parts off for the LJ. I pretty much have a plan now. I think I will go with a quality short arm and drive shaft.

Well I got one of my first new parts today. At first it looked sweet. It ended up just over $400.00 for me. After a closer look I found the case or cover is bent out of shape and it will not close. I have sent photos and am waiting to see what they will do.
20181015_194916.jpg
20181015_194443.jpg
20181015_194518.jpg
20181015_194518.jpg

Reactions: JeepZilla380
Reactions: JeepZilla380
Link goes to tera flex. I will look up savvy

No, that's the Savvy cable, I just looked at the link. You'll even see that it says, "Sold by Savvy OffRoad".

It says that under "Brand" as well. Definitely not TeraFlex.