A Second Chance at the TJ

And here is one more that I will post. This is not Toby, but rather me coming down this nasty ledge on Metal Masher.

I put this here because I watched Toby climb UP this obstacle, taking about the same line I came down. Unfortunately, I did not get a video. Man, Toby has a set:

Last edited:
Reactions: Nickgsjeep and Tob
The next round of changes is here for my TJ.

I pulled the trigger on a new bumper on a July 4th sale. So I sold the LoD rear bumper and tire carrier today, dropping 110 lbs, plus the spare (~50 lbs), which was a noticeable difference. Good riddance! The Next Venture bumper that's replacing it only weighs 21 lbs. The receiver hitch on the LoD stuck out about 7.5" from the tub, while the Next Venture will only be about 3/4" off the tub (no hitch). I may follow jjvw's modifications and add a recessed receiver hitch to it down the road.

I also scored a nice deal on a set of new MCE fenders on Marketplace. Can't wait to get them on! I've been running around flareless since TJ Fest after I sold my flares to Vasq.

I've committed to fully removing the rear seat. I took the brackets and rear seat belts out too, and ordered a Tuffy cargo drawer that will sit in its place and replace the awkward instatrunk. I won't be putting the spare back on the tailgate - no exogate either. Considering I've got onboard air and a tire plug kit, I have no qualms about running without a spare on-road. For off-road trips, I plan to have it inside, secured on top of the Tuffy box.

I hope to get it into a shop and onto a lift to do some suspension cycling before school starts back up. I'd like to get the bumpstops set correctly and upgrade the shocks soon.

Well, I really channeled my inner Helen Keller this weekend...

IMG_0983.JPEG

Just as @jjvw said, a high clearance bumper jeopardizes the tub and introduces the need for corner armor. On the bright side, it was really nice to come down ledges without slamming the bumper every single time. The gas tank skid is now taking almost all the hits, if any.

I also discovered the importance of having wheelwell-to-wheelwell rocker protection.

IMG_0986.JPEG

I was out at Hidden Falls for a day and a half and ran nearly every trail in the park. I finally ventured into difficult enough terrain to really put the skids to use. The front bumper, steering box protection, engine/transmission skid, and transfer case skid all got a lot of use and performed really well. Just as I feared, I managed to dent that stupid low-hanging muffler that the exhaust shop put in. I started dragging things I usually don't touch, like sliders, body mounts, driveshaft, under armor. Overall, it was a great trip. Being more confident with the under armor and developing better driver skills, I'm eager to get back to Hot Springs ORV park soon and try some harder trails there.

You going to make it up to Hot Springs in October for our Regional TJ fest?

I've been debating cutting the tub (not quite a comp cut but something similar) or adding corner armor ever since getting the Next Venture bumper. Cutting the tub is tempting because it will add clearance so that I don't have to worry about damaging the bottom of the corners again in a similar situation. However, if I add corner armor, it will protect a much larger area of the tub, which, if I'm honest, judging from the current trend, I will eventually hit or scrape. Not to mention, cutting the rear corners without a stretch will probably look dumb. So the addition of corner armor brings up rock sliders, since I'm pretty sure they have to be installed first to play nice with the corner armor. Considering I've already managed to bend the rocker panel, I'm also considering adding some real rocker protection.

Reactions: Irun
I've been debating cutting the tub (not quite a comp cut but something similar) or adding corner armor ever since getting the Next Venture bumper. Cutting the tub is tempting because it will add clearance so that I don't have to worry about damaging the bottom of the corners again in a similar situation. However, if I add corner armor, it will protect a much larger area of the tub, which, if I'm honest, judging from the current trend, I will eventually hit or scrape. Not to mention, cutting the rear corners without a stretch will probably look dumb. So the addition of corner armor brings up rock sliders, since I'm pretty sure they have to be installed first to play nice with the corner armor. Considering I've already managed to bend the rocker panel, I'm also considering adding some real rocker protection.
Regardless of whether you cut the corners, it's time for rocker and corner armor!

I vote rockers and corners, no cut.

Reactions: Irun and Tob
Part of the plan of ditching the tire carrier bumper, rear seat and belts and carrying the spare inside was the relocation of the license plate, which I just got around to. I chose a Kentrol tailgate mount, wired it through the factory contacts, and added a flasher relay to the third brake light. The only thing I don't like is how big and obtrusive the backer plate is on the tailgate - I may slim it down later.

IMG_1198.JPEG

IMG_1203.JPEG

I gathered all the tools to disassemble Johnny Joints, so I started to take some apart today to give them a long-overdue greasing. It's much easier than I expected.

In other news, my water pump decided to kick the bucket. After an expensive Rockauto order arrives, I'll be tackling a cooling system overhaul. I could not bring myself to replace the radiator yet though. I'm really hoping everything goes smoothly.

Quick update to keep track of things: After replacing the water pump, thermostat, and fan clutch mid-January, the radiator ruptured after a week of driving. Luckily, I had some JB weld which bought me some time while I waited for delivery.
IMG_1247.JPEG

IMG_1248.JPEG

The new radiator arrived with a broken petcock, not a big deal but Summit sent a whole replacement without taking the old one, so I have a spare brand new Mopar radiator for free, minus a petcock! I ended up replacing the heater and radiator hoses, reservoir, fan shroud, belt, and radiator cap too, to be safe. After putting everything back together, I had issues with starting, which (after much grief and trouble including getting stranded last night) led to replacing the battery and starter today (🤑🤑🤑). I've been pretty fed up with problem after problem after problem the past few months, but hopefully I'll catch a break now.

I bought some lock cylinders for my half doors and disabled the interior rocker lock, which I've been meaning to do for a while. I highly recommend baseline4x4 on eBay for salvage parts.

ordered a Tuffy cargo drawer that will sit in its place and replace the awkward instatrunk
To update on this: the drawer came in and couldn't be installed, so I had to return it. Once I had it in my hands and realized just how heavy it was (80 lbs!), I didn't want another one anyways. After seeing MountaineerTom's post, I picked up a Rhino USA tool bag and I'm loving it. I don't know what I'm going to do for secure storage but it's not gonna be huge and heavy. The instatrunk is up for grabs locally.

Quick update to keep track of things: After replacing the water pump, thermostat, and fan clutch mid-January, the radiator ruptured after a week of driving. Luckily, I had some JB weld which bought me some time while I waited for delivery.
View attachment 314543
View attachment 314544

The new radiator arrived with a broken petcock, not a big deal but Summit sent a whole replacement without taking the old one, so I have a spare brand new Mopar radiator for free, minus a petcock! I ended up replacing the heater and radiator hoses, reservoir, fan shroud, belt, and radiator cap too, to be safe. After putting everything back together, I had issues with starting, which (after much grief and trouble including getting stranded last night) led to replacing the battery and starter today (🤑🤑🤑). I've been pretty fed up with problem after problem after problem the past few months, but hopefully I'll catch a break now.

I bought some lock cylinders for my half doors and disabled the interior rocker lock, which I've been meaning to do for a while. I highly recommend baseline4x4 on eBay for salvage parts.

To update on this: the drawer came in and couldn't be installed, so I had to return it. Once I had it in my hands and realized just how heavy it was (80 lbs!), I didn't want another one anyways. After seeing MountaineerTom's post, I picked up a Rhino USA tool bag and I'm loving it. I don't know what I'm going to do for secure storage but it's not gonna be huge and heavy. The instatrunk is up for grabs locally.
I can't stress how important JB weld can be on the trail for this. Would have saved me $500 and several hours in 100 degree heat.

Reactions: Tob
It's been a little quiet here.

MCE fenders are finally installed. I bit the bullet and replaced the sliced up, dry-rotted, chewed-up Duratracs with new wheels and tires - 15x8 American Racing AR23 and 33x12.5 BFG KM3.

IMG_1708.jpeg

I went to Hot Springs ORV Park over Labor day weekend and had a blast, even though I had to call it quits early to deal with a breakage. Dad brought his Tacoma, so we did some easy trails Saturday. Sunday, he was codriver in the TJ for all the tougher trails I wanted to hit.

20220903_163028.jpg

20220904_130025.jpg

20220904_112831.jpg

Cruising through the list of 5-diamond trails in the park, I was halfway up Ingrid's Revenge, having just made it through a tedious, loose, uphill rock garden and nearing the main climb. And with a solemn "POP", the stub shaft yoke bit the dust. I hopped out to diagnose the noise, and thinking it was suspension-related, didn't see anything at first. I was just about to hop back in when I saw a freshly pulverized U-joint cap on the ground, along with a mass of needle bearings like fallen soldiers on a battlefield. At that point, I knew I was done for the day and in for a trail fix - and one good enough for the 6.5 hour drive home the next day.

20220904_143403.jpg

20220904_144351.jpg

After getting the Jeep in a safe position to jack up the axle, I took the stub shaft out so it would stop binding against the inner axle shaft. Then I drove back down the rock garden to the parking area. This was a mistake, because driving down the trail without the stub shaft quickly and thoroughly ruined the unit bearing - lesson learned. To get me home, I removed both inner axle shafts, separated the driver stub shaft, bought a new unit bearing at a local parts store, reinstalled both stub shafts, removed the front driveshaft, and closed off both sides of the axle tube with a wad of shop towels.

It's my daily driver, so, while I don't like it, I'm rolling like this until I get my hands on some new axle shafts.

The KM3's are amazing! Then again, the Duratracs didn't set too high of a bar to beat. But everywhere I expected the tires to slip and search for traction, they hooked up and locked onto the rocks. Plus, the treads held up to the abuse of spinning against the rocks, unlike the Duratracs.

Tying up loose ends!

I replaced the front axle shafts with Revolution shafts after the breakage in Hot Springs. While doing so, I noticed it was time to replace the front brake pads. I had noticed the lacking brake performance with 33s, so I sprung for the BMB big brake kit. 10/10 recommend!

I re-relocated the locker compressors under the ABS tray - out of the way, but hard to get to if I ever need to access them.

8B8FD2E4-18A9-4B4E-9C89-85D8A174368A.jpeg

With the ABS tray removed, I tucked the Viair 400 compressor on the fender wall. The wire and hose routing worked out nicely, and it is out of the way but accessible.

A016BA7F-685D-4581-A0AE-8384B00F94A2.jpeg

I didn’t want to use any of the common blinker solutions I see on the forum (drilling holes into the grille or 3/4” LEDs), so I came up with my own. I used some aluminum L 1/2x1/2x1/16 and some M4 hardware to mount some 3-wire, grommet-mount trailer lights (Nilight TL-08) under the lip of the MCE fenders. Still working out an electrical issue for the passenger side running light, but I like them.

2315DD4A-5844-4D0B-A9E4-7535684DB7DB.jpeg

I came up with some safer ways to carry my spare and gear in the cargo area. The spare is strapped down to the anchors and seat brackets, and the tool bag is strapped into the wheel. Secure and easily accessible. I’m still looking for a good way to carry spare fluid bottles. Maybe another Bestop saddle bag will be the solution for that.

1F981DEB-27B1-4A28-8EB5-97FB80E36825.jpeg

And for about 4$ at Lowe’s, I fashioned some nylon seat bushings out of spacers and washers that fix the passenger seat wobble!

54564F00-6A70-42EB-A84F-AA32BA51B210.jpeg

We are hauling up to Branson for vacation next week, and I'll be at SMORR for Memorial day weekend. Looking forward to getting some more seat time and seeing new trails!

Last edited:
SMORR was a blast!

The park staff was kind and helpful, and the park map was very high quality. The terrain was very similar to Hot Springs ORV park, but SMORR is much bigger with nicer facilities. There’s a better variety and spread of trails at SMORR, too.

We found the 3’s to be a little too easy and the 5’s a little too much, and the 4’s were challenging but not too crazy. So we stayed on the 4’s for the most part and ran all that we wanted to in a day and a half of wheeling.

The park cleared out by Sunday and we had the place to ourselves, which was nice and quiet, but also scary in the case that something goes wrong. The only other rig out there was a big V8 LJ, driven by the owner of jsoffroad. We got to stop and chat for a while with him and his wife. Cool guy!

1D41315F-00E4-4971-9D14-8B4531C75E82.jpeg

9F489032-6197-42BC-BA33-98DD9C4E75D6.jpeg

My wife is learning how to drive a manual, so we stopped by the big tires to give her a chance to learn some offroad driving skills. She did great until the diff got stuck on the tire coming down off the obstacle.

CE13588A-116D-4F74-8D05-1EFF4C3F299B.jpeg

So she learned how to pull line instead 😆

35F2D9D8-176F-47B8-B65E-D7F78219F909.jpeg

The 11-hour road trip was a little rough at times - I wish TJ’s were quieter. I would put sound deadening in if I had any confidence in its effectiveness, but all the feedback I’ve read has been unsatisfactory results.

On the way home, the rear driveshaft developed a bad vibration and squeak. Looks like I may be rebuilding the double cardan joint soon.

Just read your whole thread. Great read, and cool build!

You make it out to Sicily Island much? I went there with my brother last year in his side by side for the first time. I grew up in Louisiana, and didn't know we had a place like that. It's a pretty decent OHV park. I never saw terrain like that anywhere else in Louisiana.

Living in northern NM now, and love the wheeling opportunities out this way, but for rural Louisiana it was pretty cool little park.

20221122_101951.jpg

20221122_102005.jpg

My brother, after running out of talent.🤣

Just read your whole thread. Great read, and cool build!

You make it out to Sicily Island much? I went there with my brother last year in his side by side for the first time. I grew up in Louisiana, and didn't know we had a place like that. It's a pretty decent OHV park. I never saw terrain like that anywhere else in Louisiana.

Living in northern NM now, and love the wheeling opportunities out this way, but for rural Louisiana it was pretty cool little park.

View attachment 437026

View attachment 437027
My brother, after running out of talent.🤣

Thanks! Only been there once, my first time wheeling. The Jeep has changed a lot since then, so maybe I should visit again soon. I usually pass it up in favor of going to Hot Springs or Hidden Falls. I never expected to see terrain like that (much less an OHV park) in Louisiana either. I’d love to get out to New Mexico to wheel one day though. It was a beautiful place to pass through on the way to Moab.

Reactions: 97TJNM
Thanks! Only been there once, my first time wheeling. The Jeep has changed a lot since then, so maybe I should visit again soon. I usually pass it up in favor of going to Hot Springs or Hidden Falls. I never expected to see terrain like that (much less an OHV park) in Louisiana either. I’d love to get out to New Mexico to wheel one day though. It was a beautiful place to pass through on the way to Moab.

I hope to do TJ fest in a year or two. If you are ever headed to Moab, give me a heads up, and we can try to meet up. @WHBNM lives close by too. We wheel together a couple times a year, when our schedules line up.

Reactions: Tob