Arizona Sedona Wheeling Saturday 2/20

Get a hotel as soon as possible. It fills up fast here on the weekends and rooms get more expensive the closer you get to your arrival date

• Wow
Reactions: Farmergreg
Get a hotel as soon as possible. It fills up fast here on the weekends and rooms get more expensive the closer you get to your arrival date
Went back reserved Friday 2/19 on booking. com looked like 5 rooms left. Good cancellation policy also.

Reactions: Jamison C
  • Haha
Reactions: Farmergreg
Just booked at sugarloaf lodge... following the crowd. Looks like I'll be flying solo.
My wife is pretty much a hotel snob so I know not to make reservations on my own. The last time I did, she didn't appreciate the cockroach playing in the bathtub or the mold growing on the wall. So we are staying at Orchards Inn Friday and Saturday (I'm cheap, so I told her not to tell me how much she overpaid for it). It's my first trip to Sedona so we will take in the sights Saturday night and Sunday, that's if we survive the wheeling.
On a side note, I'm having some issues with the TJ that I hope to workout by then, but if not I will bring my 4runner TRD Pro if you guys don't mind wheeling next to a Toyota. Jamison or Dave, do you think my TRD will have any problems on the trails up there?

Ok, here's what we have so far:

Confirmed
Me
@RINC
@Farmergreg
@Blackiosh
@JnJ_Adventures

Possible
@Jamison C
@PurpleTJAZ
@kmas0n

RINC, Farmergreg and I have all booked rooms at the Sugarloaf Lodge in Sedona for Friday night; fyi for anyone else coming up Friday night in case there's any desire to meet up somewhere for dinner/drinks.

My suggestion for the day:
8:00 am meet @ Outlaw trail head 34.93641,-111.934892
8:30 am wheels up to hit the trail (estimated 2 hrs to complete)
11:00 am arrive at Diamondback Gulch aka Greasy spoon trailhead 34.886048, -111.893429
11:00 am - 12:00 pm lunch at trail head
12:00 pm begin trail (estimated 2.5 hrs to compete)
2:30 pm - 3:00 pm commute to Broken Arrow trail head 34.846195, -111.758251
3:00 pm begin trail (estimated 2 hrs to complete)

Looks like Outlaw and Diamondback are about 30 minutes NW of Sugarloaf Lodge (which looks to be more or less downtown) and Broken Arrow is 10 minutes East of it. This should get us done before dark, puts us closer to I17 for those headed back down the hill and close to town for any who may stay Saturday night. I haven't been to or done any of these trails and I'm not that familiar with the Sedona area, so if anyone more familiar with the area may have suggestions for a different plan, I certainly won't be offended.:)

I'll start a pm with everyone on the list to share phone numbers so we can communicate more directly once we're there. Looking forward to it; should be an awesome day!

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/2083-outlaw-trailhttps://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/1973-diamondback-gulch-aka-greasy-spoonhttps://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/4-broken-arrow

Last edited:
Reactions: RINC
My wife is pretty much a hotel snob so I know not to make reservations on my own. The last time I did, she didn't appreciate the cockroach playing in the bathtub or the mold growing on the wall. So we are staying at Orchards Inn Friday and Saturday (I'm cheap, so I told her not to tell me how much she overpaid for it). It's my first trip to Sedona so we will take in the sights Saturday night and Sunday, that's if we survive the wheeling.
On a side note, I'm having some issues with the TJ that I hope to workout by then, but if not I will bring my 4runner TRD Pro if you guys don't mind wheeling next to a Toyota. Jamison or Dave, do you think my TRD will have any problems on the trails up there?
I thought cockroaches and mold added 'character' and made the place 'quaint'...no?:D Bummer on the TJ; I haven't done these specific trails, but looking at them in Trails Off-road and Fun Treks as well as some videos I've seen, I would think you should be able do them in the Toyota. Sedona locals, what do you think? @Jamison C @kmas0n

Orchards is a very nice hotel with killer views. Your wife will like it’s location and cleanliness.

I don’t think it’ll have any issues. Broken arrow has a few spots that you might scrape the bottom of the bumper on if it’s not lifted. But it should be able to do Greasy Spoon and Outlaw.

Reactions: Blackiosh
Please do not underestimate Diamondback Gulch (Greasy Spoon). Even on 33s you will scrape in several places, especially so with a long wheel base. On top of that there are three long, rocky climbs where if you do not have at least one locker, it will be a long day.

Reactions: Blackiosh
You won't need a locker for Diamondback unless this most recent snowstorm caused a ton of erosion (very possible). I've seen plenty of TRD tacos run all of the trails in the area, but you can't be squeamish about scraping your rear bumper on everything. I'll add one trail I recommend... take the wives up Schnebly Hill Road for sunset...
Sunset Banner.jpg

You won't need a locker for Diamondback unless this most recent snowstorm caused a ton of erosion (very possible). I've seen plenty of TRD tacos run all of the trails in the area, but you can't be squeamish about scraping your rear bumper on everything. I'll add one trail I recommend... take the wives up Schnebly Hill Road for sunset...
View attachment 222719
Man, that is some view! Is Schnebly open this time of year? I've read conflicting info; some say it's closed from I17 down to Merry go Round (?) in the winter and others say it's open all the way thru unless snow causes the forest service to close it.

Looks like a possible game time decision on Diamondback depending on recent weather/conditions. A couple of us are on little 31s with open diffs.

Man, that is some view! Is Schnebly open this time of year? I've read conflicting info; some say it's closed from I17 down to Merry go Round (?) in the winter and others say it's open all the way thru unless snow causes the forest service to close it.

Looks like a possible game time decision on Diamondback depending on recent weather/conditions. A couple of us are on little 31s with open diffs.
Schnebly is open from Sedona to Merry go round (where that pic was taken) but closed I-17 to Merry go round. They close it every winter

Reactions: Jamison C and DaveC
Seeing that it is a 2.5 hour drive for us to the trailhead, I think we'll be cruising up Friday night as well. Not sure where we are staying yet as the wife wants dibs on hotel choice.

Reactions: RINC