Seeking recommendation on a SYE and new rear drive shaft thanks

Dan T.

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi There,

I think I'm ready to upgrade to a SYE and new rear dive shaft. I installed the Zone Combination Kit over labor day and would like to now do this upgrade. I have extremely low vibrations and like you, I notice every little thing on my Jeep. I figure this is a must do at some point. I have an extra NP231 laying around so I'll have minimal downtime which is a bonus.

Any recommendations on which SYE and Rear Drive Shaft you all like? Any to stay away from?

Thanks all.

Dan T.

I just had a shop install the standard SYE kit from Advance Adapters and a Tom woods driveshaft (that you can also order from AA). I didn’t think I would need a super short version for my set up and no plans for a tummy tuck. They were not any more expensive than other reputable brands and I picked these after reading and evaluating way too many recommendations on here. There’s a number of good brands but free shipping and no tax sold me on using AA. AA also sells speedometer gears if you need that and it makes it all sourced together in one order. Very helpful customer service also.

I just had a shop install the standard SYE kit from Advance Adapters and a Tom woods driveshaft (that you can also order from AA). I didn’t think I would need a super short version for my set up and no plans for a tummy tuck. They were not any more expensive than other reputable brands and I picked these after reading and evaluating way too many recommendations on here. There’s a number of good brands but free shipping and no tax sold me on using AA. AA also sells speedometer gears if you need that and it makes it all sourced together in one order. Very helpful customer service also.

This was also the same combination of parts I was leaning towards on my own.

I didn't think of ordering from AA directly.

Thanks

Years ago I did a SYE on my XJ and TJ. After spending countless hours researching I ended up buying and installing a JB Conversions SYE in both. The pricing can get crazy with a wide chain and 6 pinion planetary, but these are things most people don't need. I definitely second the Tom Woods driveshafts.

Reactions: Sj's TJ and Dan T.
I’m in the process of finishing up my SYE install. Based on recommendations on this thread, I went with the Advance Adapters SYE kit and a Tom woods driveshaft. I figured since I saved money doing the install myself I went ahead and ordered the pricier Currie double adjustable rear upper controls arms, mostly for the ease of adjusting without having to unbolt one side.

Reactions: JMT and Alex01
I’m in the process of finishing up my SYE install. Based on recommendations on this thread, I went with the Advance Adapters SYE kit and a Tom woods driveshaft. I figured since I saved money doing the install myself I went ahead and ordered the pricier Currie double adjustable rear upper controls arms, mostly for the ease of adjusting without having to unbolt one side.

I think I may follow your exact plan. I was pricing the Currie upper rear arms last night as well. Did you by chance document your SYE install for the "How To Guide" Forum page? There's enough content on-line how to do the SYE install so I figured I was covered anyway.

Thanks Jaz

I've run the AA standard length sye, it was a packaged deal with JKS adj uppers and a tom wood driveshaft. Had no issues with the AA kit, but I'll be swapping it out for the JB super short sye to get a few more inches of driveshaft length.

Reactions: Dan T.
Thanks

Who did you order from?
I got the Advance adapters kit off amazon. I think it was $200. And the Tom woods driveshaft and Currie arms I ordered from Morris 4x4 because I used Morris10 or 10morris code for 10% off and free shipping.

Reactions: Dan T.
Driveshaft is in. Just need to test drive it to test my pinion angle. Perfect fit.

2F7F1B1C-CAD3-4DFF-BDC4-855B96DF1ABA.jpeg