Seeking words of wisdom from the knowledgeable on tire size

rraulston

TJ Enthusiast
I am currently in the process of down "lifting" my jeep from a 4.5" Rubicon Express lift to a 3" Teraflex lift. My usage is to drive a few hundred miles to basic dirt trails, putt around the desert then drive home. In its current state, I'm good for 50 miles and done. I just need more road manners. Now before you say it can drive nice, I get it. I have all the curry expensive parts and on and on.....It just needs to be more friendly. With the 4.5 lift I have 305-70-16 on it. I want to go 33-10.5-15 with the 3 inch lift and K03s. Ill grab some pro-comp steel black wheels. I don't do fancy carved out aluminum types.... Am I going in the right direction? Or is there a better option?? Thanks in advance....RR

I see nothing wrong with the plans. I'm not going to try to talk you out of anything, because anything I have to say would sound like, "It can drive nice...".

;)

3inchs will be a little tight.

20180811_091402.jpg

I want to say that was before my body lift. Those are also 33 x 12.5 wide. I don't have any problems with the road with them. But if you like the looks of the 10.5 go with those.

Little short, I’d aim for 3.75” minimally. A small body lift would get you there. Or go with some 32’s. Or quite a bit of bumpstop with the 33’s if you stay at 3”

Good point. 3" isn't enough to clear 33s with enough room to articulate off-road the way most would want.

If 3” wont clear, can I add a 1” Spring spacer? Or do a 1.25” body lift. I heard the body lift in an 05 with 6 speed is problematic??? Maybe I’ll look at 32” tires....are those the 285 70s ?

If 3” wont clear, can I add a 1” Spring spacer? Or do a 1.25” body lift. I heard the body lift in an 05 with 6 speed is problematic??? Maybe I’ll look at 32” tires....are those the 285 70s ?

Why add a spring spacer? At that point you could have 4" springs and you'd be right back where you started :risas3:

The best thing to do would be add a 1" body lift by far. That would be cheap, easy and the way to do it. It would also clear 33" tires. Also, no reason your 6-speed would be problematic with a body lift. Never heard of that before.

I really need to stick with the 3". My wife is 4'11" and has issues climbing in. I am leaning the 3" (actually my xmas present) and 32 x 11.5 x 15 just like the red Jeep above. And yea, I would never do a spacer....that's dumb..:roto2lol:.

Reactions: Chris